The Young Pope

Started by wilder, July 11, 2016, 05:25:51 AM

wilder

Paolo Sorrentino's 'The Young Pope' TV Series To World Premiere At Venice Film Festival
via Deadline

The first two episodes of Paulo Sorrentino's new TV series The Young Pope that stars Jude Law as the fictional first American pontiff in history will screen at the upcoming Venice Film Festival.

The episodes will screen on September 3 in the Sala Grande of the Palazzo del Cinema at the Lido di Venezia.

Created by Oscar-winner Sorrentino, The Young Pope is an original production of Sky, HBO and Canal Plu. Starting in October, it will be broadcast on Sky Atlantic in Italy, United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland and Austria and in France on Canal Plus. Domestically, HBO will also air it later this year.

Set in the modern-day, The Young Pope is a drama which centers on a manipulative and troublemaker Pope, determined to upset the establishment.

Law plays the young and charming Lenny Belardo, aka Pius XIII, whose election might seem the result of a simple and effective media strategy by the College of Cardinals. But, appearances can be deceiving. Inside the Vatican, the mysterious and contradictory Pius XIII is at once shrewd and naïve, old-fashioned and very modern, doubtful and resolute, ironic, pedantic, hurt and ruthless. As he walks the long path of human loneliness to find a God for mankind, he's also seeking one for himself.

Law is joined by an international cast that includes Diane Keaton, Silvio Orlando, Scott Shepherd, Cécile de France, Javier Cámara, Ludivine Sagnier, Tony Bertorelli and James Cromwell. Great Beauty director Sorrentino co-wrote the series with his frequent collaborator Umberto Contarello, as well as Tony Grisoni and Stefano Rulli.

The Young Pope is produced by Wildside and co-produced by Haut et Court TV and Mediapro. FremantleMedia International, which acquired Italy's Wildside last August, has offshore distribution.

Jeremy Blackman

New HBO show created by Paolo Sorrentino, starring Jude Law. Premieres tomorrow.

polkablues

Everything I've read about this show is that it's batshit insane in a way that could either end up amazing or careen wildly off the rails. I'm here for it either way.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Woops, sorry wilder. Completely missed your thread. Also, apparently this aired in Europe in November.

I watched the first episode. The first 20-25 minutes, and the last 5, are just exquisite. So many delicious moments. The whole thing feels very odd and creates a suitable sense of unease and uncertainty.

Diane Keaton, though, is shockingly bad in this. Her line readings are just garbage. I don't get it. Hope that improves in subsequent episodes.

WorldForgot

two episodes in, and there's been two seperate Sofi Tukker needle drops so far
just as elegant and philosophical as the first series, now featuring much Malkovich in eyeliner, brooding ~

jenkins

i like that you're into this

WorldForgot

Great cast + production team. I'm into most Sorrentino. His sense of humor, especially.

jenkins

in my currently pending recent book Gem City there's a This Must Be the Place viewing experience followed by discussion

WorldForgot

Doesn't seem like the board is too hot on this series, though.

It reminds me of Better Call Saul in how tough it is to discuss. There is thematic depth in their concepts and executions for emotional affect but they don't have "thrills" enough for discussion, maybe. 

jenkins

i watched the first season but i was just away or something. and i don't watch much tv you know. my roommate is the tv person and he'd brought up this second season but, phrased another way, i told him i'd rather continue mostly ignoring him, except you fired me up so i texted him today that i'm down

WorldForgot

It's sorely missing Lenny Belardo's snark, currently.
But Malkovich's character is intriguing, with opulent-depression that'll make for good contrast.

WorldForgot

jenkins

are you downloading it and such, being ahead like italy. the joke on america is we're always the last and the proudest

i watched ep 7 tonight and hear ep 8 airs tomorrow in usa. i watched eps 1 and 2 and then i took a break from my roommate but he said i better see ep 7 so i did and that was cool. it's so fucking italian it's important for me to support this different tempo. the rich melodrama and the um robust exterior. it's hilarious to me that if it was straight italian with subtitles it would never make season 2 on hbo. you make it english and people get it that's the nature of the cultural beast. this show is a good thing and i was glad i watched the episode which i forgot to talk about really my bad

WorldForgot

Yeah, watched it with the overseas schedule to get a weekly, feature length Sorrentino. This series iz much more effective than Loro. Coming off that film, I dig the animal motifs Sorrentino's developed.

Both sznz considered -- as charming and meditative as Youth, with the intrigue that Loro was striving for... maybe not as "iconic" as Great Beauty. Its cast, tho, they're boxing in that class. Iconic in quotes because I'm not sure that's what I mean, but how that word iz used, that's how Great Beauty feelz.

jenkins

Great Beauty is top shelf for sure. this one is strong too