Gary oldman

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, March 28, 2003, 04:11:27 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Why has nobody mentioned THE PROFESSIONAL? Great stuff.

ProgWRX

i love fifth element  8)
-Carlos

Raikus

Quote from: MacGuffinI'm sure he'll be a household name after millions of kids see him in the next Harry Potter movie.

Yes, and therein lies one of the multitudes of things wrong with this world.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

His performance in The Professional was cliche work of how an actor always thinks to be great, it has to be overtly dramatic and kinda insane, so the actor is always doing something out of the norm, from talking and walking differently anyways. It could have been a great role, but was pretty bad because it was too blown up of a character compared to the rest of the story and storywise, his character was the result of the movie going from a personal one to an all out action movie that seemed only redeemable because it had an indie look to it. Character could have been fine, but the work of an actor has to determine when to turn it up and when not to. Gary Oldman was acting for a different movie.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

Whoa... I'm actually in agreeance with GT on this one.

Gary Oldman can be great, but he needs a strict director.  Luc Besson gives Oldman too much freedom.  He's just over the top with that whole Pill popping thing.

Jeremy Blackman

I liked the performance... actually, I generally like over-the-top performances in implausible movies. Maybe you're just comparing him to Natalie Portman, whose stunning subtle performance was probably the best of her career. In a way, that movie kind of needed a flaboyantly evil Gary Oldman.

Gold Trumpet

For much of the movie, it was walking a plausible line. Compared to most of Besson's other work, this seems very indepedent and focused on the relationship between two people, Jean Reno and Natalie Portman. Oldman's character is a tool to bringing a conflict or problem between that relationship but spirals the movie out of control into a blood fest action movie that had no feeling of being one for 90% of it and was more interesting without it. Oldman's character could have added something, but instead was so big and so loud it took over too much when it was just a minor character.

~rougerum

©brad

Homer is strangling Bart because he made a popular cartoon based on him
Bart: [chokes] There's going to be a movie about you.
Homer: [stops choking Bart] Who's going to play me?
Bart: John Goodman.
Homer: [continues choking Bart] Isn't it obvious it should be Gary Oldman?!

:lol:

MacGuffin

This is a picture, taken with a couple of Potter fans, which shows Gary Oldman in costume as Sirius Black on the set of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Also shown are Rupert Grint as Ron and Alan Rickman, who plays Professor Snape, out of costume.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHis performance in The Professional was cliche work of how an actor always thinks to be great, it has to be overtly dramatic and kinda insane, so the actor is always doing something out of the norm, from talking and walking differently anyways. It could have been a great role, but was pretty bad because it was too blown up of a character compared to the rest of the story and storywise, his character was the result of the movie going from a personal one to an all out action movie that seemed only redeemable because it had an indie look to it. Character could have been fine, but the work of an actor has to determine when to turn it up and when not to. Gary Oldman was acting for a different movie.

~rougerum

read me a bedtime story mommy! taking your words in to consideration you must hate the shining -- i can say that the professional and the shinging are high on my favorites list -- do you hate me? mommy, please, say it ain't so -- i like your bedtime stories so much -- just becuase i disagree with you, doesn't mean you cant breast feed me anymore.
...your excuses are your own...

Dirk

Quote from: cowboykurtisread me a bedtime story mommy! taking your words in to consideration you must hate the shining -- i can say that the professional and the shinging are high on my favorites list -- do you hate me? mommy, please, say it ain't so -- i like your bedtime stories so much -- just becuase i disagree with you, doesn't mean you cant breast feed me anymore.

:yabbse-huh:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

MacGuffin

The producers of "Dead Fish" said Tuesday that Gary Oldman ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban") and Robert Carlyle ("Black and White") would round out the cast for the black comedy thriller.

The duo play alongside Billy Zane ("Titanic"), Jimi Mistry ("The Guru"), Elena Anaya ("Sex and Lucia") and Andrew Lee Potts ("Band of Brothers") in the picture, which started shooting this month on location in London. Directed by Charley Stadler, the movie is billed as a twisting tale of mistaken identities, double-crosses, merciless killers and unrequited love.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatball

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHis performance in The Professional was cliche work of how an actor always thinks to be great, it has to be overtly dramatic and kinda insane, so the actor is always doing something out of the norm, from talking and walking differently anyways. It could have been a great role, but was pretty bad because it was too blown up of a character compared to the rest of the story and storywise, his character was the result of the movie going from a personal one to an all out action movie that seemed only redeemable because it had an indie look to it. Character could have been fine, but the work of an actor has to determine when to turn it up and when not to. Gary Oldman was acting for a different movie.

~rougerum

read me a bedtime story mommy! taking your words in to consideration you must hate the shining -- i can say that the professional and the shinging are high on my favorites list -- do you hate me? mommy, please, say it ain't so -- i like your bedtime stories so much -- just becuase i disagree with you, doesn't mean you cant breast feed me anymore.

:yabbse-shocked: Hahaha. Love it.

Also love Gary Oldman. Over the top or not, he makes the characters memorable. And damn fun to watch. Whether or not it's the proper way for that movie or not. Obviously the director thought it was the proper way. Gary thought it was the proper way, and he gets paid to think so. I don't believe any of us are in either of that position, so... let's just appreciate the hijinks.

citizenaniki

Quote from: MacGuffinOne of his best performances and in an equally great movie: "Immortal Beloved".

agreed.

Chest Rockwell