JJ Abrams & Jonathan Nolan's Person of Interest

Started by MacGuffin, May 20, 2011, 04:31:30 PM

MacGuffin

From Executive Producer JJ Abrams comes a new thriller starring Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson about two men who risk their own lives to protect others in danger.

Promo Trailer
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Sleepless

To be fair, so is Crime Scene Investigation. But now it's iconic.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Being a hopeless Lost fan, I decided to check this out. It is not good.

To be fair, I've only seen the pilot, but I do feel comfortable judging this show from the pilot, because of how episodic it clearly is. (So episodic that they felt the need to cram the entire setup of the show into, what, 15-20 minutes?)

Caviezel's Jason Bourne shenanigans are definitely the best thing about the show, but this already feels like Lie To Me's worst episodes. You sit around watching stock characters trudge through stock plots, waiting for those "moments"... and there are never enough of them. In the case of Lie To Me, it was those brilliant lie detection bits, and with this show, it's the Jason Bourne "incapacitate everyone in the room within 3 seconds" scenes.

Michael Emerson's character really bothers me, in that he's sort of just a less interesting version of Ben Linus and doesn't do much actual acting to distinguish the two characters (except walk with a ridiculous limp), which is especially disappointing given the amazing work he did on Lost, and given what (I thought) he's capable of.

But to be fair, Caviezel is a worse actor in this. His physical stuff is fine, but he seems oddly inept at delivering dialogue.