PDL on DVD

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 02:20:32 PM

RegularKarate

yeah... everyone says stuff like that, but I saw it three times and not once did I hear anyone say anything negative.

And my parents loved it.  and they are pretty mainstream.

Gold Trumpet

I understand all the points being made, from the screenwriting reference to trying to market as a romance movie. The thing is, I'm still hesitant from doing it and don't think the poster works.

Now my reasons is basically for the uncreativity of the poster itself. I think the movie suggests not just a romance movie, but a mundane romance movie on a low level. I think a lot of people came into it thinking that it would be a mere Adam Sandler movie on the level of intelligence and pure enjoyment. I think this movie is on a different realm completely than any other adam sandler movie. What I would have liked is a more energized and creative cover that still could have been still very unassuming, though with everything that happens in PDL, I think it would be hard to make a poster that would take away from the experience of PDL. Because I watched the movie and knew what to expect, but felt continually surprised as the movie went on. I want a more art poster, better showing to what kind of movie this would have been. There is a clear difference between the average movie poster, and a movie poster of the Criterion Collection in just pure quality of art. I think the poster attracted the wrong audience and got a bad reaction because it did.

Also, Magnolia and Boogie Nights are not better movies, they are just more accessable and to a lot of Adam Sandler fans, even those movies are not really great to watch. Punch-Drunk Love is still the best easily of all PTA's work.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

After a few weeks delay, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment has announced an April 22nd street date for P.T. Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love. With Anderson working to create new extras for a planned special edition, this initial version will be movie-only. Including anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, extras include only trailers. Retail is $26.95.

gross... I can't even fathom what a full screen PDL would look like. It was hard enough watching the first 5 minutes of Tenenbaums fullscreen when they showed it on Starz. You know you're a movie snob when you have to turn off movies you love because they're not in the correct aspect ratio.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

Quote from: bonanzatazYou know you're a movie snob when you have to turn off movies you love because they're not in the correct aspect ratio.

I have HBO in High Definition and often times they crop 2.35:1 movies to 16:9, and that even makes me sick.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Duck SauceThe bad thing about letting PTA design and influence the awesome posters is that they arent necesarily the best for marketing.

i think what really screwed the box office was delaying the film so much. i was seeing ads for the film quite frequently and it was still not playing very wide.
PDL is just a tough movie. you're right about it not doing what the audience is expecting it to do.

i saw it 3 times.
the first time, opening night in Nashville at the only theatre that plays limited release films.
it was a little bigger crowd than i expected, i think only a few walked out
the other two was when it finally came to murfreesboro, and both times it was me and 1 couple and each one stayed throughout.

i love the poster. i think its one of the most beautiful movie posters ever. i think it ultimately represents the ending: they live happily ever after.....
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

©brad

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

Also, Magnolia and Boogie Nights are not better movies, they are just more accessable and to a lot of Adam Sandler fans, even those movies are not really great to watch. Punch-Drunk Love is still the best easily of all PTA's work.

~rougerum

:shock:

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

number9

from davisdvd.com:

"It looks like Punch-Drunk Love has once again been taken off Columbia's release schedule. The P.T. Anderson flick was originally announced for April 1st and then wa un-announced. It re-appeared a week later with a new street date of April 22nd, but has now vanished off the charts yet again. I give up."

sphinx

Quote from: number9from davisdvd.com:

"It looks like Punch-Drunk Love has once again been taken off Columbia's release schedule. The P.T. Anderson flick was originally announced for April 1st and then wa un-announced. It re-appeared a week later with a new street date of April 22nd, but has now vanished off the charts yet again. I give up."

i strongly approve

Jon

I think PTA is takign a stand for extras.

©brad

Good, we won't have to buy two different versions now.

Gold Trumpet

please. get this dvd asap out because movies that came out at same time period are starting to get released and this one is still some months away. Paying 20 extra dollars to see this movie come out earlier is not a problem for me.

~rougerum

©brad

Isn't it the rule of thumb that if a film does poorly in its theatrical release it comes out on video much quicker. That way people who didn't see it who were curious about it won't forget it. Therefore, since PDL didn't do very well theatrically in the US, you would think they would want to release it ASAP.

Ghostboy

I'd hate to see any PTA film get a less-than-stellar DVD release, so I'm all for delaying the movie so that the special edition can be the only version.  

And I wonder if PTA threw a fit about releasing the movie in full screen. I can't believe they do that now...why not just do what they used to do and put one version on each side? I wonder what the cost differences are for that process. PDL in anything but 2:35:1 would look like crap, I think.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cbrad4dIsn't it the rule of thumb that if a film does poorly in its theatrical release it comes out on video much quicker.

Release date: May 13th. No word on "Solaris" though.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks