What the hell is wrong with Michael Jackson?

Started by meatball, November 29, 2003, 09:26:44 PM

cine

Sleuth

Quote from: CinephileI personally don't see the humour in it.

Yeah, it's not funny, it sort of disturbs me, but Walrus obviously hasn't seen the movie so he doesn't know the context it's in.
I like to hug dogs

cine

I saw the film back when it was released and I've always thought it was haunting dialogue.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

Pubrick

it occurs very close to the turning point of mark's character, when we sympathize with the other dude.

it's an important line in getting us to see a very true perception from the other side of american culture, then shoving the oil down his throat seals the deal.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Michael Jackson is to pop music what Steven Spielberg is to film.

Therefore, long before he became so odd and criminal and freakish, I despised him and what he stands for.

I've never heard anything human, any personality, in his music; therefore, unlike, say, Kraftwerk, who meticulously constructed an inhuman sound and tone as its own kind of pathos, Michael Jackson completely fails on his own terms. Every time I see Clay fucking Aiken, I think, "There. That's the sum of what Michael Jackson has contributed to music. That horrible, empty, glee-club 'Gee, folks! I'm an entertainer! Let's dance 'n sing 'n put on a show!' ideology." A real live Mickey Mouse doll for the world to embrace.

Actually, now that his Kingship has been irrevocably taken away, I find him more intriguing than ever before, if only because he's taking that harmless, sexless, pointless image of his- the one this ever-more-conformist world of ours seemed to crave- and shoving it back down the throat of the machine that made him.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: godardianThat horrible, empty, glee-club 'Gee, folks! I'm an entertainer! Let's dance 'n sing 'n put on a show!' ideology." A real live Mickey Mouse doll for the world to embrace.

If we didn't have that kind of stuff though, the world would be a pretty sad place... I for one believe that crappy "dance 'n sing" entertainment has its place in the world... its not about being artsy fartsy all of the time... sometimes i love the mindless joyfulness of upbeat crappy pop music...

aclockworkjj

do you think billie jean was a guy or a girl?

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: aclockworkjjdo you think billie jean was a guy or a girl?

Hahaha!  I think that was an intentionally ambiguous name... but he says it in the song "she's just a girl..."

Nick

godardian

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI for one believe that crappy "dance 'n sing" entertainment has its place in the world.

Oh, so do I. I just think that that place should hardly be at the top of the heap and deserving of the utmost adulation and devotion, with the ringleader crowned the "king" of things. That's what I resist with every cell in my brain and bone in my body.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

meatball

Age progressed Michael Jackson if he never altered himself.

Alethia

Sigur Rós

I know this is 'yesterday' but it's still funny.

©brad