The worst Spielberg flick?

Started by Spike, April 15, 2003, 03:24:55 PM

modage

wow. i just rewatched HOOK and THE LOST WORLD for the first time in years, (since they are pretty consistently thought of as BAD, but my memory is liking them when they came out).  boy they are both SO TERRIBLE.  i had no idea.  HOOK is so dated in the early nineties.  the look and special effects is so fake.  and everything about it is just pandering to kids.  its such a misfire, (but spielberg has admitted to that).  and the LOST WORLD as well.  just not good at all.  i remembered liking it, but its hardly watchable.  he has also said that it was the most boring experience he ever had making a movie, cause he was so disinterested with making that movie, but since he wouldnt give audiences ET2, he made this one for the "public".  it shows.   :x
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chainsmoking insomniac

Well said.  AI too....didn't like that one too much.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Alethia

for every bad flick he has tho he has about four good to great ones.

Dtm115300

gotta be Lost World. That story was only meant to be told once.

bonanzataz

it's the terminal. oh my god it's the terminal. wow, that was so bad. oh my god, it was awful, i wanted to cry.

Quote from: modagewow. i just rewatched HOOK and THE LOST WORLD for the first time in years, (since they are pretty consistently thought of as BAD, but my memory is liking them when they came out).  boy they are both SO TERRIBLE.  i had no idea.  HOOK is so dated in the early nineties.  the look and special effects is so fake.  and everything about it is just pandering to kids.  its such a misfire, (but spielberg has admitted to that).  and the LOST WORLD as well.  just not good at all.  i remembered liking it, but its hardly watchable.  he has also said that it was the most boring experience he ever had making a movie, cause he was so disinterested with making that movie, but since he wouldnt give audiences ET2, he made this one for the "public".  it shows.   :x

Well I just rewatched HOOK and it's STILL fucking awesome, so all you haters can eat it!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

well i just rewatched The Terminal on HBO and it was mostly good!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jigzaw

Got to agree with Bonanz, The Terminal was one of the worst things I think I have ever seen, and I love Spielberg's work.  Sitting through it was actually painful.  I wanted to leave so badly throughout the whole thing, and of course I didn't because I just felt I had to see the whole thing since it was a Spielberg film.  But, my god, I kept waiting for a point to this boooooring booooring idiotic story, and it never came.  The antagonism of Tucci's character was so unmotivated and tried painfully hard to be "light" and "funny".  Staring at the airport set which got more press than anything else in the movie (and rightfully so, since the boring terminal set was better constructed than the script) made my head ache.  

Oh my god, my god my god, The Terminal was interminable

Myxo

Terminal was bad but at least it was honest.

A.I. felt like a total fraud. I hate that movie with a passion.

RegularKarate

It's funny because almost the exact opposite is true.

jigzaw

Agreed, except I wouldn't say AI was bad.  I thought it was pretty fantastic.  I can't speak for the above post because Myxo may already know this, but I've found that most people who hated A.I. didn't get that the creatures at the end were robots and not aliens.  I didn't like it either till I figured that one out.  
It later occured to me that the entire film was not even necessarily supposed to be "true" but was actually a fairy tale for the robots who longed to know more about us, their long-gone creators, and the story of David was actually just a fairy tale that these robots tell their young.  Just a theory.

killafilm

Always.  Plain and simple.  

Even though JP:2 was a super waste of talent.

ddmarfield

Quote from: Keener on April 27, 2003, 04:24:10 PM
Halloween 5: The Curse of Michael Myers. He ain't fooling me with that Dominique Othenin-Girard alias.

Hilarious  :yabbse-thumbup:
"The girls around here all look like Cadillacs" -- Tom Waits

soixante

Temple of Doom
Color Purple
Last Crusade
Always
Hook
Music is your best entertainment value.

diggler

Quote from: mindfuck on April 15, 2003, 07:58:45 PM
C'mon guys. Hook was a great kids movie. RU-FI-OOOOOOOOOOO. Seriously.

i second that. good form!
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

mutinyco

I wasn't aware that there was any room for debate. 1941.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe