Killing Them Softly

Started by DocSportello, January 02, 2012, 07:21:45 PM

DocSportello

Cogan's Trade

Starring: Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta

Release: Set for September 21, 2012

Director: Andrew Dominik (The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Chopper)

Storyline: Jackie Cogan is a professional enforcer who investigates a heist that went down during a mob-protected poker game.

Figured a trailer will come along shortly. I apologize if someone already posted about it but I couldn't find the thread.

DocSportello

No official poster yet but this is what's popping up everywhere. Promising film.

Pozer

^this image alone makes me wish Andy D got to Cormac's Counselor. He was trying to get Cities of the Plain going not long before, had hopes. Had hopes.

This movie's already bad ass.

DocSportello

New photos from the set (not stills from the film itself), including first look at Gandolfini, Liotta, Richard Jenkins. Also, official release date has been set for September 21st. So, trailer come summer?

And here's the link to the pics if you wanna read their little write up:

http://thefilmstage.com/news/first-look-james-gandolfini-ray-liotta-richard-jenkins-with-brad-pitt-in-andrew-dominiks-cogans-trade/

MacGuffin

Andrew Dominik's 'Cogan's Trade' Starring Brad Pitt Now Titled 'Killing Them Softly'
Source: Playlist

The past week or so has seen a handful of new movie titles get assigned to movie's. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's directorial debut is now known as "Don Jon's Addiction," David Chase's period based music movie is now called "Not Fade Away" and Kathryn Bigelow's Osama Bin Laden thriller fresh (working) title "Zero Dark Thirty." And those are all fine changes, nothing too shocking and keeping in line with what those films are about. But yet another movie has been given a new moniker, although we're less pleased about this one.

Variety writer Jeff Sneider has tweeted that Andrew Dominik's "Cogan's Trade" has been given a new, much more generic title of "Killing Them Softly." We suppose The Weinstein Company thinks that "killing" is much sexier marquee word than "trade" -- and they may be right -- but now the movie sounds like any generic, straight-to-DVD actioner. The original title had the sort of pulp sheen of the material (and was the name of the book it's based on) but now it just all sounds much more rote.

Anyway, the film is led by Brad Pitt and is a comic crime caper/thriller based on the George V. Higgins novel about a mob enforcer (Pitt) trying to track down a pair of junkies who've ripped off a poker game. A ridiculously great cast including Ray Liotta, Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini, Scoot McNairy, Ben Mendelsohn, Bella Heathcote, Sam Shepard and Garrett Dillahunt are along for the ride, and frankly whatever this is called, we'll be watching anyway.

"Killing Them Softly" will hit theaters on September 21st.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

"Killing Them Softly" makes it sound like a straight-to-video erotic thriller starring Michael Madsen and Mili Avital.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on March 03, 2012, 12:24:33 PM
"Killing Them Softly" makes it sound like a straight-to-video erotic thriller starring Michael Madsen and Mili Avital.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250468/

polkablues

"The worst part was when they closed their eyes."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 03, 2012, 11:34:01 AM
Andrew Dominik's 'Cogan's Trade' now titled 'Killing Them Softly

Joseph Gordon-Levitt's directorial debut is now known as "Don Jon's Addiction,"

David Chase's period based music movie is now called "Not Fade Away"

and Kathryn Bigelow's Osama Bin Laden thriller fresh (working) title "Zero Dark Thirty."

According to this trend, this will be the year of cryptic three-word titles.

Therefore I can confidently predict that the official title for The Master will be:

New Unread Posts
under the paving stones.

I am Schmi

Quote from: polkablues on March 03, 2012, 12:24:33 PM

Honestly, I don't think it sounds all that bad anymore. It sounds sorta Pulpy.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Pubrick on March 03, 2012, 09:25:07 PM

Therefore I can confidently predict that the official title for The Master will be:

New Unread Posts

So it'll be dissapointing and really nothing new?

Cloudy

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but for those who haven't:

First clip!

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I am Schmi

Quote from: wilderesque on August 01, 2012, 07:34:11 PM
Trailer

Looks like a blast.... particularly the part around the 1:02 section of the trailer.

Excited for this picture.