Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Alethia

I grabbed two for NYC, Sunday and Monday, and will attempt to attend both, for we all know how those first PTA screenings can be.

Tdog

Boy oh boy! I only watched a few seconds of it but that has to be a PTA cut trailer right? Full of money shots that bloody well better make it into the movie! Also, THAT SCORE!!!!

Yes

Does somebody have extra pass to DGA screening

Drenk

We should open a SPOILERS thread.

(phantom pun intended.)
Ascension.

Lewton

I still haven't watched any of the trailers -- keep running into screen caps and video thumbnail images, though -- and I'm wondering...this was shot in January and February of this year, right? So, I wonder if this will provide the first instance of snow, falling or fallen, in a PTA movie. Unless I'm mistaken, none of his films have ever featured snow.

wilberfan

Quote from: Drenk on November 20, 2017, 05:58:31 PM
We should open a SPOILERS thread.

I was thinking that very thing today.  Screenings are coming...

jenkins

Quote from: matt35mm on November 20, 2017, 01:48:03 PM
I got greedy and booked 3 dates (also because I don't know for sure if I'll be in town for the first few days of the screenings). All at the Beverly Hills spot.

Nov 24 at 2pm (with Q&A)
Nov 26 at 7pm
Nov 28 at 7pm

Who's going to what? XIXAX meetup?????

i'll text you on the 26th xx

wilberfan

velociraptor

The music in this new trailer is absolutely stunning.

wilberfan

I don't recall this level of pre-release screenings for Inherent Vice.  What do you suppose is behind it?  To generate buzz?  Fishing for nominations?  All of the above? What does the Director-and-actors-in-person add to the equation?  A coolness factor?

modage

No, Inherent Vice didn't have nearly this many advance screenings for the public though I'll be curious to see if they open this up beyond NY/LA. Without any inside knowledge I would assume that Focus doesn't think playing the secretive game will do the film any favors once it's out in the world. PTA has a crazy passionate fanbase and if they can get the film in front of enough of those people hopefully they can get some buzz going for this that translates to a wider audience.

The initial announcement of these screenings was for guilds only so the timing for this is making sure everyone has a chance to see it before they vote for year end awards which starts happening right after Thanksgiving. But it's pretty cool of them to open those same screenings up to film nerds and PTA heads. And hopefully this will pay off.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilberfan

Quote from: modage on November 21, 2017, 02:53:59 PM
No, Inherent Vice didn't have nearly this many advance screenings for the public though I'll be curious to see if they open this up beyond NY/LA. Without any inside knowledge I would assume that Focus doesn't think playing the secretive game will do the film any favors once it's out in the world. PTA has a crazy passionate fanbase and if they can get the film in front of enough of those people hopefully they can get some buzz going for this that translates to a wider audience.

The initial announcement of these screenings was for guilds only so the timing for this is making sure everyone has a chance to see it before they vote for year end awards which starts happening right after Thanksgiving. But it's pretty cool of them to open those same screenings up to film nerds and PTA heads. And hopefully this will pay off.

Clearly their "Oh, the screenings are sold out but give us your e-mail address anyway" gambit is part of their marketing strategy.

Lewton

I was recently thinking about how PTA first met DDL. If I recall correctly, Day-Lewis really admired Punch-Drunk Love, passed along some glowing remarks to Anderson, and that eventually led to them collaborating on There Will Be Blood. Do I have that right?

I'm really not sure what type of movie Phantom Thread is going to be, but perhaps it's the eccentric, romantic love story that DDL wanted all along. This is not to say that he didn't gravitate toward TWBB; interviews suggest DDL had a real affinity for that material. It is interesting, though, that Anderson's most optimistic and explicitly romantic movie, which is opposed to TWBB in many ways, drew him into the collaboration in the first place.

At any rate, I'm really excited to see a strain of romanticism come to the fore in Anderson's work again. It was definitely there in The Master and Inherent Vice, but it seems like Phantom Thread's romantic aspects will be much more sustained and explicit, whereas there were a lot of other things competing for our interest in the last two films.

mogwai

Don't know if I dig the title. Should be retitled as "Phantom Beaver".

Something Spanish

Quote from: mogwai on November 23, 2017, 11:48:32 PM
Don't know if I dig the title. Should be retitled as "Phantom Beaver".

Is that based on your viewing of the film or conjecture?