Libertines

Started by SoNowThen, August 27, 2003, 10:22:38 AM

penfold0101

I've had this album since March 03 and I love it!
None of my friends liked it - which suppressed me.
Slowly it was forgotten about and now it's slipping down a huge pile of CDs on my desk, you guys have just inspired me to rescue it and give it another listen!
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

GoneSavage

Quote from: penfold0101I've had this album since March 03 and I love it!
You're cooler than me cause you bought it before I did.

Pedro

I dont know, it seems to be March 03 today...

Stefen

Quote from: penfold0101I've had this album since March 03 and I love it!
None of my friends liked it - which suppressed me.
Slowly it was forgotten about and now it's slipping down a huge pile of CDs on my desk, you guys have just inspired me to rescue it and give it another listen!

All in one day?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

penfold0101

Wow scary coincidence!

No Stefan not all in one day, over the course of a year. March 2003 was when I purchased the album.

But then you all knew that.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Stefen

Quote from: penfold0101Wow scary coincidence!

No Stefan not all in one day, over the course of a year. March 2003 was when I purchased the album.

But then you all knew that.

I was just funnin ya buddy.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

penfold0101

godardian

Morrissey is "curating" this year's Meltdown Festival. Some of the things he's lined up:

Channel 4 teletext (Planet Sound P351) give over three pages to Morrissey after bumping into him at a gig in London. He granted them a brief interview, and according to them:
- He will play at Glastonbury and the Carling Festival
- Guests for the Meltdown Festival will include Franz Ferdinand, the Libertines and Alan Bennett. The remaining New York Dolls will also reform for the first time since 1977 to play Meltdown.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Pete's got another side project thing going on, in April he releases "For Lovers" with Wolfman.

You can listen to it at the nme website.

It's a great, pop love tune. Reminds me of the best early Oasis!!!

The Libs are getting bigger everyday. Can't wait 'til I move to England this summer and get to actually see them live...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Libertines mentioned again on morrissey-solo.com:

Morrissey is enjoying something of a second coming of late, with bands including The Libertines[/i] and Franz Ferdinand declaring him a huge influence. With british music on the rise and his old band The Smiths recently crowned the most influential of all time by NME, the record will be released in a feverish atmosphere.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

It's not the first time I start to like a band and discover Morrissey is an influence. I like when my tastes connect like that.

At one point I tried to relate every movie I love to David Lynch and I could. But that's a whole other story.

modage

CLASH'S MICK JONES DECLARES NEW LIBERTINES ALBUM "SENSATIONAL"
Source: NME

CLASH guitarist and current LIBERTINES co-producer MICK JONES has declared the forthcoming album "sensational", and has even drawn comparisons between the band and his own legendary outfit.

Jones has been working alongside The Clash and Sex Pistols producer Bill Price with the tempestuous band in a west London studio, and says that the band's frictions are exaggerated.

"[It's been] Beautiful, and don't let anyone tell you differently," he said to Teletext. "If it was as stupid as people are making out - security guards to stop them fighting and that crap - do you think I'd be mug enough to stick around and put up with it?

"They've grown up. What happened with Pete (Doherty) going to prison was a horrible time, it could have finished any band. They know that, and it's made them realise how much they love each other.

"People say that me and Joe (Strummer) were both the best of friends and the best of rivals." He explained, "I don't agree - we never had time to be rivals!

"Pete and Carl (Barat) have the same fluidity we had. Joe would sit at a typewriter, have a great lyric by the time I'd had a coffee and I'd knock up a tune for it in a few minutes. That's how quickly The Libs do it - low boredom threshold."

When asked about the bands new album Jones also proclaimed "a record as good as this only comes along once in a generation".

"Sensational. I can't believe how good they've got, even since 'Up The Bracket' - and that was a great debut," he explained.

He added: "You had it with The Clash. And now it's The Libertines turn. The lyrics on 'The Man Who Would Be King' are as good as any I've heard. Everything that's happened to them in two years is on this record, and a lot has happened to them."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

pete doherty on suicide watch

pete doherty claims he's on "suicide watch" in rehab as libertines fans across the world unite in support for the star.

as reported yesterday, pete has been admitted into the priory clinic in london in an attempt to kick his addiction to drugs.

in a posting this morning with the subject line 'still on suicide watch', pete claimed those looking after him are checking him every ten minutes to ensure his well-being, but he feels like his progress is coming along well.

on babyshambles.com, he wrote: "evidence of self-harm upon my skinny person but nothing could be further from my mind as i awake brighter tailed and bushier eyed than i have done for many a year. yes children the deliriums and caterwaulings are giving in to, well, peter doherty, whoever the fuck that may be.

"today i'm definitely steadier on my feet and shall have a little exploration of this clean place which is probably full of celebrities in towelling robes. enough to make anyone give up crack and smack. might even try a few press-ups.... er, yeah 17 should suffice for now. nurse! where's my apple juice and coffee and biscuit like on the poster?"

since yesterday fans have been emailing nme.com to show their support for pete.

one fan, known only as hannah, wrote: "just a little note to say keep it up and all that! all of old albion is behind you! don't ever lose that cute little smile."

martin from austria added: "i hope you feel better as fast as possible! here in austria we love you."

parker fishel from america wrote to say: "i really can't explain how important the libertines are to me. stay strong, follow your heart, live in the music, get your act together and arcadia will not be such a stretch, not only for you but for anyone who believes in the power of soul and music to save the world, cut the ribbon and get the girl. get better soon pete!"

do you have a message of support for pete? if so, mail news@nme.com.

SoNowThen

I hope he gets through this thing.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

one fan, known only as SoNowThen, from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada wrote: "I hope he gets through this thing."
under the paving stones.