PHONEbooth (DVD)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 11, 2003, 01:51:02 PM

NEON MERCURY

I know this film has a thread in the "now showing" area ...but it is not showing now so now it is  time to delve into the film/dvd :wink:

I had high hopes on this for two reasons(Colin F. & Matt Libatique) b/c I think Pi and Requiem  and Tigerland  are shot wonderfully by Matt ...and Tigerland made Colin F. along w/ Minority Report IMO....so the two factors along w/ Shumacher (who IMO makes/made some great films) I waited anxiously until the release of this film on DVD.

My expectations were met ...I loved this film for REASONS THAT I HOPED FOR(i.e. great cinematography -thank you Matthew, great acting job -thank you Colin, and good director sewing the seems together-thank you Shumacher)...It is good to see that lightning strikes twice w/this neat trio(Libatique-Ferral-Shumacher->Tigerland and now PHONEbooth are PROVEN Examples of this)   I thought that  2-wards the the part when Colin lets loose and talks too his wife was great
he is the real deal (IMO it is really cool and shows talent when he switches/changes his accent from Tigerland to PHONEbooth that I think marks a great actor)..........On a side not you can put Colin in Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN  he would do and sell just as well as Brad b/c  he is just as good an actor as Brad is if not better IMO.......But back to booth  I found it edgy,  disorienting, suspenseful(...you know all the clliched words to describe this film are valid)  

S-P-O-I-L-E-R ************************W-A-R-N-I-N-G

I thought the end was not as predictable (maybe I am stupid  :roll:) but the fact that the Sutherland's character still is alive...THAT i didnot expect ...it was played at the end as some kind of wierd morality tale....I think it was an angle used be-4 in (an)other film(s) ...but in this case i did not see it coming .......

E-N-D  *****************O-F*****************S-P-O-I-L-E-R
.In the end (personally) I found this worth havind on DVD for the film alone warrants this on your shelf.....Good Job Shumacher et al....................

RegularKarate

This film is pure dogshit.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

xerxes

i had some high hopes for it when reading about it a while ago. it really was an interesting idea and probably could have been very good. but sadly, a bad director and a script that wasn't all that great made it just short of okay.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: RegularKarateThis film is pure dogshit.

thats a-little harsh  :wink:

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteThis film is pure dogshit.

I agree totally with you. While at work today, my friend played the commentary to Phone Booth DVD. I can not emphasize enough how much of a homo Shumacher is.

chris

ono

What, did he come out on the DVD or something?

jokerspath

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaWhat, did he come out on the DVD or something?

I transcribed it for anyone interested.  

Here's a quick excerpt to answer your last question:

"JS: Well me Colin, Kiefer, and Gil Netter, one of our producers, left the set towards the end of the shoot for a quick stop at our favorite watering hole, TJ's.

CF: TJ McFisty's.  

JS: Whatever.  So we get there, and we're dancing our tits off and I was on my fourth Tequiza when I felt my bladder just screaming DRAIN ME so I made my way to the little boy's room.  Well, there was a kid from the set,  one of the PA's.

CF: Michael.

JS: Ya, Mike.  Well, Mike forced me to drink two gallons of his hot teenage piss and it made me gay.  

CF: Don't worry, Mr. Policemen, Bran's legal."

Hope this helps...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Pubrick

hahaha

boy, it used to be nice when things made sense.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

The "PHONEbooth" logo on the DVD cover reminds me of laundry detergent.

And why is it "PHONEbooth"? :?:

Pas

You have to wonder how can anyone capture the essence of shit so well. I rented the DVD happy and joyful, but pressed stop depressed and angry.

I hate people who like Phonebooth (and people who will go see Gigli too)

NEON MERCURY

:? and :x .......I am not saying that this film is oscar material.If you read my first post you will note/see that i even CAPS the phrase..."REASONS THAT I HOPED FOR"..and then i went on to explain the reasons

1.the film DOES have a slick and cool vibe b/c of Libatique's cinematography

2.Colin is in fact a geat actor IMO...he played that part well and believable he did what the script asked him to do.

3.Shumacher....after seeing Tigerland, which is damn good i wanted, to see if he can do it agian and he did (HE MADE  THE REASONS WHY I WANTED TO SEE THIS FILM -which i noted above-COME TRUE!)....so he did a good job keeping everything together.......

So...do you guys finally get what i am saying  :wink:

oh yeah.....i do not have the  stomach to see Gigli...the film is not my cup of tea

markums2k

Quote from: RaviAnd why is it "PHONEbooth"? :?:

It is a witty and thoughtful commentary on our social condition and state, as a civilization.  See, the phone, part of the phonebooth, is the core of our very being.  The heart of communication within; the very reason the booth exists.  Without the phone, it would just be booth... and without society, we would just be man.  Not HUman.

Or it might just be a last ditch effort to appeal to the Instant Message generation.  R U Rdy 4 PHONEbooth??/