Author Topic: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements  (Read 132792 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1640
Re: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements
« Reply #465 on: October 23, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »
December 2015 TBD

Roman Polanski's Che? (1972) on blu-ray from Koch Media (Germany)

NSFW

wilder

« Reply #466 on: November 04, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »
February 23, 2016

Eric Rohmer's Pauline at the Beach (1983) from Kino

wilder

« Reply #467 on: November 05, 2015, 09:59:59 PM »
November 3, 2015

Ulli Lommel's Tenderness of the Wolves (1973) on blu-ray from Arrow USA

This dark horror film from director Ulli Lommel was based on the real-life crimes of Fritz Haarman (Kurt Raab), the so-called "Vampire of Dusseldorf" who murdered over 25 young boys, drank their blood, and sold their flesh as black-market meat. Several German films had depicted Haarman's murderous exploits, most notably Fritz Lang's classic M (1931), but Lommel's version is far more graphic and horrifying. Produced by filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder, who also appears, the film revels in pseudo-Expressionistic imagery which sears itself into the viewer's mind. Raab's performance is reminiscent of both Peter Lorre in M and Max Schreck in the vampire classic Nosferatu (1922), but is unforgettable in its own right. A deeply disturbing cinematic poem about the face of true evil.

Tenderness of the Wolves (1973) - Amazon

According to this thread, it sounds like the on-set relationship between Lommel and Fassbinder was similar to Hooper/Spielberg on Poltergeist

wilder

« Reply #468 on: November 09, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »
February 2, 2016

Ate de Jong's Highway to Hell (1991) on blu-ray from Kino

I vaguely remember seeing this on tv about 20 years ago and thinking it was fun. No promises with this one.

wilder

« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »
February 8, 2016

Richard Fleischer's Compulsion (1959) from Signal One Entertainment

Loosely based on the famous 1924 murder trial of thrill-killers Loeb and Leopold, two homosexual students who murdered a young boy to demonstrate their intellectual superiority.

Compulsion (1959) - Amazon UK

wilder

« Reply #470 on: November 18, 2015, 12:35:52 AM »
+1
Out Today

Killer Workout aka Aerobicide (1987) from Olive Films

Killer Workout (1987) - Amazon

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1394
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #471 on: November 18, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
those YouTube videos provide what i'm calling a nice and tidy summary, thanks
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

« Reply #472 on: November 19, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »
February 23, 2016

Fritz Lang's Woman in the Moon (1929) from Kino

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1394
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #473 on: November 23, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
Carlotta Films Enters the U.S. Market
via blu-ray.com

Paris-based Carlotta Films has announced that it is launching a U.S. distribution company, which will be known as Carlotta Films U.S. The new company, which will be run by Calantha Mansfield, will focus on bringing classic and little seen independent films to the American market.

The first films Carlotta Films U.S. will distribute theatrically are restored prints of Leos Carax's Boy Meets Girl (1984), starring Denis Lavant, Mireille Perrier, and Carroll Brooks, and Mauvais sang a.k.a The Night is Young (1986), starring Michel Piccoli, Juliette Binoche, and Denis Lavant, as well as Charles Lane's Sidewalk Stories (1989), starring Charles Lane, Nicole Alysia, and Tom Alpern.

Preliminary release dates for upcoming Blu-ray and DVD releases have not yet been revealed.

i like how this is where Sidewalk Stories is mentioned. i ordered it today, following my monthly policy of ordering off Amazon movies i've been thinking about and are currently at their lowest prices evar. i bought this and Away We Go. you people who are PTA fans, idk idk about trashing on this movie. we gotta have a family chat, i'll watch Away We Go again soon. here's the trailer for Sidewalk Stories:

[edit]
this edit is being performed before i post this. i did what's called "pulled an assumption" on Away We Go getting some trash talk here, but in the Xixax thread ©brad is the first to appreciate it, and it's unanimously appreciated actually. i think i agree, that's how i remember feeling about the movie. i think perhaps Sam Mendes is a tricky name because of American Beauty, which could be a great movie, which could be a terrible movie, honestly it's not a common topic in movie chats because it's such a rocky conversation, like Crash, it's only brought up like this while someone makes a point that seems incontestable, that American Beauty got majorly harshed by some people.

because really how you worry a person is you make them worry about their opinion. i like that there was that kind of worry around the release of Away We Go. i try never to get worried about my opinion. and some operational names here are Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida. i have the opinion that i'm glad they wrote the screenplay. then the actors, there's a complimentary roster. i feel about Away We Go perhaps how i feel about Young Adult, where there are some tricky names but there are some great names, and the movie pulls itself off so who cares. how's the movie? the question is always: how is the movie?

(made myself excited while typing this i realized)
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

« Reply #474 on: November 24, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
December 1, 2015

Curtis Harrington's Queen of Blood (1966) from Kino

see also: Night Tide (1961) (and max's review)

Queen of Blood (1966) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #475 on: December 06, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »
March 29, 2016

The Gong Show Movie (1980) (written by Robert Downey Sr.) from Shout Factory

A week in the life of "The Gong Show" host and creator Chuck Barris who lives through a series of outrageous competitors, stressful situations, a nervous breakdown and other comical characters involved in his life and work on the TV show.

The Gong Show Movie (1980) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
TBD

Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind (2003) from Warner Archive

March 15, 2016

Jean-Luc Godard's A Married Woman (1964) on blu-ray from Cohen Media Group

A Married Woman (1964) - Amazon

A MARRIED WOMAN is an often overlooked masterwork from Godard's most productive period. The plot appears to be simple: Charlotte (Macha Méril) is a young married woman having an affair with an actor. When she discovers that she is pregnant, she must decide which man is the father and which man she will stay with. In Godard's hands, however, the film, described as a film about a woman's beauty and the ugliness of her world, is also a biting critique of consumer culture and the media constructed obsession with image. Subtitle Fragments of a film shot in 1964, in black and white, Godard creates a modernist collage that is beautifully shot by Godard's longtime cinematographer Raoul Coutard. The Cohen Media Group is proud to present for the first time in the US this stunning new restoration from the original negative.

wilder

« Reply #477 on: December 15, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
Upcoming Film Movement Classics Blu-ray Releases
via blu-ray.com

ANTONIA'S LINE (Marleen Gorris, 1995, Netherlands, Dutch, 102 min) - In the aftermath of WWII, strong-willed Antonia returns to her small hometown where she has inherited her mother's farm. Antonia, joined by her free-spirited artist daughter Danielle, ingratiate themselves with the town's tight-knit and eccentric community. As the years unfold, love and tragedy come to Antonia and Danielle and the pair foster a vibrant circle of strong, liberated women. ANTONIA'S LINE won the Academy Award® for Best Foreign Language Film, 1996 and will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of this win in 2016.

THE BEST INTENTIONS (Bille August, 1992, Sweden, Swedish, 182 min) - Swedish master Ingmar Bergman penned this loving tribute to his parent's epic romance. In 1909, poor, idealistic theology student Henrik Bergman falls in love with Anna Åkerbloom, the intelligent, educated daughter of a rich family in Uppsala. After their wedding Henrik becomes a priest in the north of Sweden. Urbane Anna can't stand living in the rural county and grows increasingly restless. She returns to Uppsala and the couple's love and commitment are put to the test.

BOILING POINT (Takeshi Kitano, 1990, Japan, Japanese, 97 min) - In the second film from action auteur Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano, two members of a Japanese junior baseball team get mixed up with the local yakuza after their coach is attacked by gangsters. The pair gets more than they bargained for when they travel to Okinawa seeking revenge in this violent and strangely humorous revolutionary take on the yakuza picture.

KAMIKAZE 89 (Wolf Gremm, 1982, Germany, German, 106 min) - In his last acting role, legendary director Rainer Werner Fassbinder plays Jansen, an expert cop living in a dystopic future (and clad in a sharp leopard skin jacket) where a mysterious organization known as The Combine controls all media. After The Combine?s headquarters receives several bomb threats, Jansen is tasked with infiltrating the nefarious conglomerate. This cult classic features a soundtrack by Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream and an array of New German Cinema stars, including Brigitte Mira (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul), Frank Ripploh (Taxi Zum Klo), and Gunter Kaufmann (The Marriage of Maria Braun).

ONCE WERE WARRIORS (Lee Tamahori, 1994, New Zealand, English, 102 min) - Jake Heke lives with his family in a tenement house for native Maori in the slums of Auckland. Despite his love and devotion, Jake?s battle with alcoholism frequently results in terrifyingly erratic outbursts in front of his children and violent beatings of his wife Beth. After Jake loses his job, each member of the Heke family is forced to face their own personal demons and the societal constraints that shackle native New Zealanders.

THE QUIET EARTH (Geoff Murphy, 1985, New Zealand, English, 91 min) - In this sci-fi cult classic, Zac Hobson, a mid-level scientist working on a global energy project, wakes up to a nightmare. After his project malfunctions, Zac discovers that he may be the last man on Earth. As he searches empty cities for other survivors, Zac's mental state begins to deteriorate - culminating in the film's iconic and hotly debated ending.

UGLY, DIRTY, AND BAD (Ettore Scola, 1976, Italy, Italian, 116 min) - Acclaimed Italian auteur Ettore Scola (celebrating his 85th birthday in 2016) pairs up with legendary actor Nino Manfredi in this irreverent Cannes-winning grotesque comedy. Giacinto (Manfredi), along with four generations of his sprawling, crooked clan, lives in a cramped, dilapidated home on the outskirts of Rome. When a work accident leaves him blind in one eye, the derelict suddenly finds himself rolling in insurance money. Refusing to share the wealth, Giacinto?s relatives concoct several harebrained plots in hopes of wrenching the riches away.

VIOLENT COP (Takeshi Kitano, 1989, Japan, Japanese, 103 min) - In his directorial debut, and one of his first dramatic roles, writer/director Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano plays Detective Azuma, a hostile cop who?s not afraid of using violent means to catch his culprits. When his sister is kidnapped by a sadistic drug lord, Azuma's Dirty Harry-style tactics escalate in his quest for vengeance in this stunningly innovative cops-and-robbers thriller.   

Garam

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #478 on: December 15, 2015, 11:48:19 PM »
THE QUIET EARTH (Geoff Murphy, 1985, New Zealand, English, 91 min) - In this sci-fi cult classic, Zac Hobson, a mid-level scientist working on a global energy project, wakes up to a nightmare. After his project malfunctions, Zac discovers that he may be the last man on Earth. As he searches empty cities for other survivors, Zac's mental state begins to deteriorate - culminating in the film's iconic and hotly debated ending.

This film is so much fun.

wilder

« Reply #479 on: December 17, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »
May 17, 2016

Christian Marquand's Candy (1968)) on blu-ray from Kino

Candy (1968) - Amazon

Candy Christian (Ewa Aulin) is an innocent yet luscious high school student when fate sends her on a far-out journey of sexual discovery. On her trippy travels, Candy encounters lust and lunacy at the hands - and other body parts - of a drunken poet (Richard Burton), a Mexican gardener (Ringo Starr), a patriotic general (Walter Matthau), a mad surgeon (James Coburn), and a mystic guru (Marlon Brando). Can the world's most stalwart members get their own sweet piece of Candy? Or will a final freaky twist swallow her whole forever?

March 15, 2016

Sun, Sand, and Sweat Collection from Mill Creek

-Hardbodies (1984)
-Perfect (1985)
-Private Resort (1985)
-Spring Break (1983)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:57:32 PM by wilder »

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy