Movies Censored/Raped On TV

Started by cine, September 13, 2003, 11:04:03 PM

cine

Bulletproof:
*Adam Sandler shoots James Caan in the head*
Sandler: That's what you get for trying to make me suck your dick!

TV CENSOR:
"That's what you get for trying to make me sing and dance!"

TV (TBS especially) censors a lot of the best dialogue in movies because of its bad language. It's understandable for the R rated ones. But sometimes you really sit back and wonder what they censored it for... So this is dedicated to those movies and their scenes, or the lack thereof.

Have fun.

MacGuffin

Censored "Breakfast Club" replaced the F-word with such gems as "Flip you!"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Derek237

I have the mother of all butchered TV versions of movies: Leaving Las Vegas. Almost half the movie is cut out!!!

-Ben visits the strip club. CUT.

-The hooker sucks on Ben's finger to steal his ring. CUT

-Ben's "Are you desirable?" monologue. CUT

-Sera and Yuri have sex. CUT.

-The entire bar fight scene. CUT.

-Ben, Sera, and bourbon scene. CUT

-The rape scene. Oddly cut up so it looks like the kids' rape was preconcieved.

And those are just the big ones. This is why you should always just cough up the few bucks to rent a movie, unless it's uncensored on TV. Many basic cable channels here in Canada like CITY TV and The New PL don't cut anything out except for words like "cunt" and "cock." So that's good.  :)

Pas

Great stuff Mogwai  !

Here in french canada there's no censor on TV whatsoever actually. Sometimes it gets really, really sick though.

Ravi

I can't believe Lifetime showed Goodfellas.

Why do these stations like WGN even bother with movies like Basic Instinct?  Who's going to watch that?  It's pointless.  FX showed Boogie Nights once, though I didn't watch it.

Pedro

Quote from: RaviFX showed Boogie Nights once, though I didn't watch it.
It was lots of fun, actually.  It seemed to be concious it was butchering itsself...the ways it was edited was great (stars over boobies and such)

Weak2ndAct

The last one that really cracked me up was Midnight Run.  I did realize how many F's were in the movie till I saw it edited.  DeNiro curses up a storm in that one.

I really wish when someone curses they would just bleep it instead of trying to hide it with some other crummy actor's voice.  Bleeps make any scene twice as funny (my favorite one being the Jerry Springer scene in Austin Powers 2).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and The Simpsons halloween special where Maggie's father is revealed to be Kodos the alien and the family goes on Jerry Springer.  Marge: "I'm so *bleep*-ing embarassed."  Actually, maybe I'm just in love w/ bleeps in Jerry Springer spoofs.  I'm crazy, I'll stop writing now.

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: RaviI can't believe Lifetime showed Goodfellas.

It was funny because they played it up as "One woman's struggle to live with a gangster husband."
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Ravi

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange
Quote from: RaviI can't believe Lifetime showed Goodfellas.

It was funny because they played it up as "One woman's struggle to live with a gangster husband."

Everything on Lifetime is "one woman's struggle to live with" something, usually featuring Meredith Baxter-Birney.

How does broadcast TV handle Steve Martin's f-word symphony in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?

I saw Do the Right Thing and Boyz in the Hood on broadcast once.  I can't recall anything particular about them, but they were definitely odd experiences.  American Pie on FX was weird too.

ShanghaiOrange

The Big Lebowski and Pulp Fiction were eviscerated. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Gold Trumpet

On Starz:Cinema for "Storytelling", during the scene where the black professor is fucking the student and forcing her to scream obscentities while he gets her up the ass, during the far shot from the back, they have a large rectangle block over both people. I was surprised considering it was a pay movie channel and shown late at night anyways.

~rougerum

modage

if you're serious, it was like that in the theatre too.  only on the "unrated" side of the dvd can you see it without, i believe.

if you're not serious, boy did i take the bait.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOn Starz:Cinema for "Storytelling", during the scene where the black professor is fucking the student and forcing her to scream obscentities while he gets her up the ass, during the far shot from the back, they have a large rectangle block over both people. I was surprised considering it was a pay movie channel and shown late at night anyways.

~rougerum

solondz did this himself for the rated version. i thought it was great- a big middle finger towards the MPAA.

i hate watching movies that come on tv. what i luved about the BBC is that they don't cut or edit shit, and they're no commercials. i remember watching magnolia on BBC2 or sumthing, and it was the full 3 hour ordeal in all its glory.

but yea, my main beef w/ movies on tv is commercials breaks. can't have commercial breaks during movies, it doesn't work.

cine

Quote from: ©bradsolondz did this himself for the rated version. i thought it was great- a big middle finger towards the MPAA.

solondz talked about it on a conan interview once. it was hilarious because he was speaking sarcastically about it: "its great because this is the only country in the world where you have the luxury of seeing this big box." and the way he speaks with how he sounds (kinda like a timid muppet).. it was really funny.