Long-Lost Xixax Members

Started by hedwig, November 16, 2007, 12:26:12 PM

hedwig

"LUCID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH GOD LUCID WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Where the fuck is Ringo Pubrick 72teeth?

Reel

It's alright, it's ok. They found something to live for! Jesus told me sooooo

wilberfan

An interesting thread ("Down Since Day One", I mean).  Very Boogie/Magnolia -centric (which it would have to have been at the time, I guess).  That Pubrick fellow seemed quite volitile.  I would say thing have become much more civil since then.  Interesting to me that there's a new generation of film buffs since then,  and new PTA acolytes have many more opportunities for discovery.   Seems like Boogie, though, would be much more accessible/exciting/thrilling to a teen then than Thread would now.

Alethia

He was volatile, but could be quite brilliant, too, as I recall.

Robyn

Quote from: eward on February 09, 2018, 05:00:55 PM
He was volatile, but could be quite brilliant, too, as I recall.

he made a great analysis on PTA's whole catalog after blood, if I remember it correctly. I don't remember it too well, but I thought it was great at the time. I could try to found it for you, wilberfan.

Reel

Quote from: KJ on February 09, 2018, 05:16:04 PM
he made a great analysis on PTA's whole catalog after blood, if I remember it correctly.

I believe you mean This?

He still hasn't reviewed There Will Be Blood almost ten years later now, what a flake.

He hasn't posted in 4 years but his profile says he was lurking here just last december, stay on your toes.

I've been mulling over This post of his in response to some of my pseudo-analysis you can entirely disregard. I was really grasping at straws there. Sometimes I'd try to make some profound point about PTA's work just to lure him out of the darkness and put me in my place, because it's really his forte.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Pubrick was a founding father and had as much to do with the evolution of this site as anyone could have.

He was more or less the sheriff, in a semi-reluctant and unhinged Seth Bullock kind of way. New blood would come in and start acting a fool and he'd be the one to set em straight...some couldn't hang and flamed out quick, and some learned the way became power users (Stefen, modage possibly?). Sometimes he would lash out at someone who didn't fully deserve it (Gold Trumpet for sure, and pretty much everyone once or twice), but when some punk-ass motherfucking troll would come in and start stinking up the joint (InTylerWeTrust - if you're still out there I hope your meds are working now), Pubrick would reliably tell them what time it was.

Sharp dude when it came to film discussion too. I'd be happy if he were to pop up again once in a while.

Reel

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on February 09, 2018, 07:31:40 PM
He was more or less the sheriff, in a semi-reluctant and unhinged Seth Bullock kind of way. New blood would come in and start acting a fool and he'd be the one to set em straight...some couldn't hang and flamed out quick, and some learned the way became power users (Stefen, modage possibly?). Sometimes he would lash out at someone who didn't fully deserve it (Gold Trumpet for sure, and pretty much everyone once or twice), but when some punk-ass motherfucking troll would come in and start stinking up the joint (InTylerWeTrust - if you're still out there I hope your meds are working now), Pubrick would reliably tell them what time it was.

I imagine this being said in the voice of Sam Elliot

©brad

God I miss Pubrick so hard. He was the best.

Quote from: Reelist on February 09, 2018, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on February 09, 2018, 01:48:39 PM
I haven't looked yet, but is there a place here where we've shared how we each came to first stand in the warmth of the PTA sun?  (I don't mean having met him, but fallen for his creative charms.)  Cuz I'd love read those as well.

Yeah, right here

That thread was hysterical/terrifying. It's been a while since I did a deep dive into our archives, mostly because I die a little inside from secondhand embarrassment reading my old posts.

Damn we're getting old huh.

Drenk

I guess it was easier to tolerate his agressive-agressive demeanor because of the brillant posts.

By the way, Hard Eight is called Sydney in Italia. I saw it today in Instagram: someone took a picture of his collection.
Ascension.

jenkins

link to Sydney on Amazon.it

i missed out on Pubrick's brilliance and think of him as peevish. though sometimes he exposed his human core and i liked him then. most of my favorite people are still active. Axolotl i could use more of. from the ancient days it's too bad that godardian and hedwig are gone. too often i don't know why i'm here but obviously when i'm reminded it creates a lasting impression. i think the new posters WorldForgot and Lewton are great posters, along with others who i'm not mentioning, just imagine i would've mentioned [you] too.

Robyn

Quote from: ©brad on February 10, 2018, 07:42:34 PM
God I miss Pubrick so hard. He was the best.

Quote from: Reelist on February 09, 2018, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on February 09, 2018, 01:48:39 PM
I haven't looked yet, but is there a place here where we've shared how we each came to first stand in the warmth of the PTA sun?  (I don't mean having met him, but fallen for his creative charms.)  Cuz I'd love read those as well.

Yeah, right here

That thread was hysterical/terrifying. It's been a while since I did a deep dive into our archives, mostly because I die a little inside from secondhand embarrassment reading my old posts.

Damn we're getting old huh.

when I see an old post that I have posted, I don't read it, I just delete it, because I know it's embarrassing. the self-hatred is strong on this one.