xixax cultural awareness thread.

Started by NEON MERCURY, April 18, 2004, 09:12:42 PM

NEON MERCURY

sup.?

well this thread is designed to enlightened people about your country/state/province/...by naming three things that you are proud your birth place produced .and three things that you are embarrased about your birthplace.....it could be a person, place , thing, idea, or an enigma

here's mine.:America/south eastern united states

PROUD:

david lynch....8)

lou reed...brilliant influential songwriter/muscician

boiled peanuts....yeah they look gross and sh*t..but in the south eastern USA..its a great snack food.......

NOT-PROUD

marilyn manson.......:roll:

..al gore...people think things are screwed up in USA.....it could be worse ..this guy could have been president.....

..network that consists of countless crappy shows......

A Matter Of Chance

RegularKarate

You know, the US is big enough and full of famous people that you can just list your state.

Plus, your "ashamed" list needs some reconsideration.  Especially if you're including multiple states.

Okay, I was born in Norman, Oklahoma.  let's start there:

Proud:

The Flaming Lips

Ashamed:

"IIIIIII want to sex you up!"

Now I'm in Texas:

PROUD:

Willie

Wes Anderson and the Wilson brothers

Also (among many others):
Robert Rodriguez
Patty Griffith
Forrest Whittaker

Ashamed:

El Duderino

^^Hell yeah!

I'm from Southern California.

Proud:

PTA

Quentin Tarantino

TROLLIES!

Ashamed:

Rice-A_Roni

Pollution

Car Theft

I now reside in Arizona. I'm not proud, i'm not ashamed.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SoNowThen

Born in Albert, lived in BC for a time.

Proud:

Elisha Cuthbert
Natasha Henstridge
Michael J Fox
the Oilers of the 80's
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Born in Queens, New York.

Proud of the following from NY:

Not proud of:

Pas

I'll throw more later but in the meantime...

PROUD:

Iñarritu.

Cuarón.

Buñuel (kind of)

Pedro Infante.

El Santo.

NOT PROUD:

Thalia.
context, context, context.

cine

I'd like to start by saying that I found it really funny that Marv Albert was in between two dead gangsters.

Anyway, I was born in Ontario, Canada... this is going to be a long post. I'm not narrowing down who I'm proud of from here.  8)

Lord Stanley Preston: Inventor of the Stanley Cup for the sport of Hockey that --aside from it's European roots hundreds of years ago-- was MADE IN CANADA.

Wayne Gretzky (be thankful we gave him to you, SoNowThen!  :wink: )

James Naismith: Inventor of Basketball.

Thomas F. Ryan: Inventor of 5-Pin Bowling.

Joe Shuster: Co-creator of Superman.

Glenn Gould: Famous Pianist

Mary Pickford: NOT "America's Sweetheart"!! She was CANADA'S!

The Kids in the Hall

Lorne Michaels: Creator of Saturday Night Live

Dan Aykroyd

Mike Myers

Jim Carrey

Phil Hartman

Second City/SCTV Alumni: John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Short, Dave Thomas, Robin Duke.

Those last 2 are from my hometown.

[Johnny] Wayne and [Frank] Shuster: Made more appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show than anyone.

I'll skip a few Canadian artists to jump to the one Canadian that I'm so-so about:

End of thread.

SoNowThen

Cinephile wins.

(though we still sent out the hottest babes)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

sweden.

proud:

bob hund a.k.a. bergman rock, the best live band ever.

lukas moodysson, director of fucking åmål, together and lilja 4-ever.

filip hammar and fredrik wikingsson, the hosts behind the excellent tv-show "high chaparall".

not proud:

göran persson, prime minister.

robinson robban (robinson is like that tv show "survivor").

the sounds, a disgrace. nuff said.

there's not much to be said about my hometown so i took my views of sweden as a whole instead.

cine

Quote from: mogwaisweden.
Did you purposely exclude Ingmar Bergman?

mogwai

Quote from: Cinephile 9000
Quote from: mogwaisweden.
Did you purposely exclude Ingmar Bergman?
no, i didn't because i haven't seen any of his movies.

that'll come as shock to some, eh?

hey mogwai,  what about that guy who used to be at the U.N. ?? I can't recall his name.... Hammar Darskold, something like that.
context, context, context.

mogwai

Quote from: cronopio inrockuptiblehey mogwai,  what about that guy who used to be at the U.N. ?? I can't recall his name.... Hammar Darskold, something like that.
you mean this guy...

...no, don't know much about him. but i know that koffi annan is married to a swede. and that they own a cottage or something in sweden.