xixax cultural awareness thread.

Started by NEON MERCURY, April 18, 2004, 09:12:42 PM

Jeremy Blackman

A new addition to the shame column: Senator Mark Dayton. (He is, by the way, part of the Dayton family, which started Target.)

He stood against Senator Barbara Boxer today when she (a lone voice in the senate) contested the Ohio vote. It's really disappointing, because he was relentless with Rumsfeld. I expected more.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanMinnesota Public Radio bought a college radio station and they're transforming it into a professional music station. It's going to be wonderful to have an actual independent alternative non-commercial new music station around here.
It launched yesterday, and as I expected, they hit this one out of the park.

You can listen online here.

The format is wonderful, the music is great, and there are no commercials. I really like it so far... and it's the only music radio station around here worth listening to.

My only complaints so far are that it's schizophrenically eclectic (which I could live with) and most of the music in the first two days has been upbeat (which is understandable and probably temporary).

SHAFTR

Well, I guess fits here.

Tonight Wisconsin hosts Illinois in college basketball.  Illinois is ranked #1 and is one of three undefeated teams left in college basketball.  Wisconsin has the longest home winning streak at 38 games straight.  I'll be at the game tonight, courtside.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UncleJoey

Quote from: SHAFTRWell, I guess fits here.

Tonight Wisconsin hosts Illinois in college basketball.  Illinois is ranked #1 and is one of three undefeated teams left in college basketball.  Wisconsin has the longest home winning streak at 38 games straight.  I'll be at the game tonight, courtside.

And we walked away from this wonderful courtside location very disappointed.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Jeremy Blackman

Al Franken will announce within two hours whether he's running for the Senate in 2006 for the Minnesota seat that will be vacated by Mark Dayton. (This would be two years earlier than he planned.)

My guess is that he is. He's wearing a suit and he brought reporters into the studio.

Jeremy Blackman

That was funny. He announced that he's not running in 2006. It was a publicity stunt.

He's still running in 2008, though... that's a sure thing. I'm kind of relieved that he's going against Norm Coleman in 2008 instead, because Norm Coleman is the most disgusting man alive.

peaceisourprofession

Battle Creek Michigan:

Proud of:
Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Sojourner Truth lived here for about 27 years
I actually made it through Battle Creek school systems, graduated

Not Proud of:
Everything Else
"I choose the poverty of our poor people. But I am grateful to receive (the Nobel) in the name of the hungry, the naked, the homeless, of the crippled, of the blind, of the lepers, of all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared-for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone." - Mother Theresa
excerpt from her nobel prize acceptance speech

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Quote from: Pubrickoh, that explains it..

hahahaha
context, context, context.

Stefen

i might want me some of that. hold on.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

hey, i want to ask you guys soem questions...please dont take offense to this..and you can ask some shit too...

#1 for those people who live in california...are there alot of fake people out there?  is everyone an actor?  is there racism?  does everyone talk like "dude, like whats sup bro?"...do californian traditionally hate the north/south/midwest usa?

#2 for the northerners out there, why do ya'll talk w/ that wierd accent?  [like your pinching your nose.]  why are ya'll always up tight?  why do ya'll hate the south?  why do you drink tea HOT?

#3 for the peopel who live in the midwest....doese anythign ever happen?....like north dakota, wyoming, wisconsin.....are you guys bored mostly?

i live in the south......so, ask me soem shit too......

polkablues

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi live in the south......so, ask me soem shit too......

How many years does it take to brainwash a child into thinking that "sweet tea" is drinkable?

Oh, and NASCAR.  What's up with that?  Seriously.

Just curious.

As for Northerners, I live in the Northwest, Seattle area, and up here we don't have such things as "accents".  The Northwest accent is defined by its lack of any sort of regional twang or patois.  We all sound like news anchors.

A joke, to break the ice: How do Southern farmers find sheep in tall grass?

Veeeeery satisfying.

:bravo:

That was fun.  Perhaps next I'll regale you all with jokes about ways in which black people differ from white people, re: mannerisms, ways of speech, and posture while operating automobiles.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Quote from: polkabluesThat was fun. Perhaps next I'll regale you all with jokes about ways in which black people differ from white people, re: mannerisms, ways of speech, and posture while operating automobiles.
Reminds me of a racist joke.

What do you call a black pilot?

(spoilers!)
A pilot, you racist.
(swipe to read!)

Quote from: polkabluesJust curious.
Haha.

Anyway, originally from the north, lived in the south most of my life, stereotypes are only somewhat true.  Sweet tea: good in moderation.  It's called "soda," not "pop."  Not everyone likes NASCAR.  It only seems like it.

72teeth

Quote from: NEON MERCURY#1 for those people who live in california...are there alot of fake people out there?  is everyone an actor?  is there racism?  does everyone talk like "dude, like whats sup bro?"...do californian traditionally hate the north/south/midwest usa?

Fakeres?
Oh yeah.

Actors?
Not a whole whole lot, but everybody has at least 3 actor friends, many of which are fakers as well.

Racism?
Uh..yeah, but it could very hidden depending on where you live.

"Dudes?"
Backwards hat, flip flops, white sun glasses type? Not everyone but there are more than there needs to be, many of which are fakers as well..... but everyone does say "dude"

Haters?
Not sure on that one, really.

I live in out in "wine country" so this shouldn't be taken as the difinitive answer....

Hey and speaking of racist jokes..
What would you call the Flintstones if they were black...   *swipe
niggers
and im hispanic if anyone is offended and fills they need to rip on me with a joke
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza