Started by NEON MERCURY, April 18, 2004, 09:12:42 PM

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Stefen

I wish this was from my hometown.

I was that WAS my hometown.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

:?:  :idea:  :arrow:  :|Try to guess what two words I googled in order to get that pic.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: HedwigTry to guess what two words I googled in order to get that pic.

Dental and Floss?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: HedwigTry to guess what two words I googled in order to get that pic.

Dental and Floss?

:) Nope-o.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffinLipo and suction?

closer.

Stefen

Well tell us cause now you changed it and I want to make it my avatar.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

hedwig

Quote from: StefenWell tell us cause now you changed it and I want to make it my avatar.

nice

ass

Jeremy Blackman

It's time for corporate culture!  :salute:

(I don't know if proud/ashamed applies)

Target
3M
General Mills
Pepsi
Best Buy
Hormel (makers of SPAM)
Medtronic
Honeywell (major weapons manufacturer)
The Mayo Clinic

Jeremy Blackman

Hamline University students vote to ban military recruiters from campus

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2004/12/

St. Paul, Minn. — Hamline undergraduates voted 80-to-15 in support of a resolution banning military recruiters. Voters included the 39 representatives of student government, and other students. Hamline allows any undergraduate student to vote on resolutions before the Student Congress.

The resolution says the military's policy on gays and lesbians -- the "don't-ask-don't-tell" policy -- is discriminatory and clashes with the school's own policies encouraging diversity.

Graham Lampa, 21, drafted the resolution. The student from Brainerd says the vote illustrates that the school upholds values of equality and anti-discrimination.

"I think that's a positive step towards showing the military and telling the military that we don't agree with their policy. And if more schools join up and keep on pushing this thing forward, then hopefully I think that Hamline will be seen as a pioneering school," he said.

But Junior Nathan Ohler of New Hampshire says the student vote embarrasses him.

"I think that it's basically a disgraceful resolution to begin with, and I don't feel it's appropriate. There's so many good things that stem from the military. In terms of, anybody, coming from a low economic class, can join the military and rise through the wages, rise through the ranks," he said.

The resolution was prompted by a recent ruling in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia. It says a university has a First Amendment right to deny military recruiters access to campus without the risk of losing federal funding.

It's unclear what effect the decision has on states outside the Third Circuit's immediate jurisdiction, which includes Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and the Virgin Islands.

The Hamline students sent their resolution to university administrators for action.

But Hamline has $35 million of federal funds at risk, and University Vice President Dan Loritz says the school won't be doing anything until the courts provide more clarity.

"It's a situation where we have the needs of all our students, in terms of those federal funds. And the federal government has a policy that says that if we don't conform to the Solomon Amendment, they would remove those funds which would be very difficult for our students," he said.

Loritz says the administration may consider the ban if the ruling takes wider jurisdiction.

While most military recruiting takes place in high schools, before students have decided on college, the military considers law schools and other professional schools excellent places to recruit officers.

Department of Defense spokesman Lt. Col. Joe Richard says the DOD will appeal the circuit court's ruling.

He says "don't ask, don't tell" is current law and can't be changed unless lawmakers move to do so. He says denying recruiters access to campus only penalizes students and their job prospects.

"The Department of Defense is following the law as prescribed by the U.S. Congress. So, therefore, any suggestion or notion that our policies are discriminatory, just flies in the face of the facts. That's why any effort to ban military recruiters puts your federal funds at risk. That's our argument. That's our contention," he said.

Hamline is the only school in Minnesota since the Third Circuit ruling where students have moved to bar military recruiters from campus.

There is precedent when it comes to enforcing school diversity policies. In 2001, Hamline dropped association with the Boy Scouts of America on the grounds that their policies against gay and lesbian people contradicted the University's own diversity policy.

classical gas

"What I want above all is to destroy the idea of culture. Culture is an alibi of imperialism. There is a Ministry of War. There is a Ministry of Culture. Therefore, culture is war."  Jean-Luc Godard

silly old man...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GodardCulture is an alibi of imperialism.
Sure, it is and it has been, but it isn't always and it doesn't have to be.

So why not just destroy the alibi part of it? It's like, umm, killing a patient when they need an amputation... yeah, that's it.

Jeremy Blackman

Minnesota Public Radio bought a college radio station and they're transforming it into a professional music station. It's going to be wonderful to have an actual independent alternative non-commercial new music station around here.

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/minnesota/conversation/