xixax cultural awareness thread.

Started by NEON MERCURY, April 18, 2004, 09:12:42 PM

(kelvin)

I'm from Luxembourg. Which is, in fact, rather small...so my choice is somewhat limited. Nomnetheless, I found some people:

the good ones:

Claus Cito. He created this beautiful statue called "Gelle Fra" ("The Golden Woman") which is situated in Luxembourg-City and symbolizes our independance.

Robert Schuman. Well, in fact, he was French, but he was born in Luxembourg. He is one of the intellectual fathers of the European Union.

Can't think of anyone else right now. More later. Maybe.

godardian

Ah, Portland.

Gus van Sant

Matt Groening

Sleater-Kinney

Mayor Vera Katz

Sci-fi novelist Ursula K. LeGuin

Performance artist/filmmaker Miranda July

Todd Haynes (pictured w/ pal and co-conspirator Julianne Moore). He adopted Portland, but we adopted him, too, so...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: kelvinRobert Schuman.
I'm having a Ben Kingsley moment.

RegularKarate

Quote from: godardianAh, Portland...

But you're in Seatle now, so you need to at LEAST mention Jim Woodring.

Jeremy Blackman

How could I forget:

I saw him speak at my high school.

:yabbse-sad:

cine

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI saw him speak at my high school.

:yabbse-sad:

That chapter in Franken's book was pretty heartbreaking.

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: godardianAh, Portland...

But you're in Seatle now, so you need to at LEAST mention Jim Woodring.

...I don't know who that is... my heart is still in Portland.  :cry:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

I know I already won, but since I cut off some of the people I'm proud of from Ontario, here's a few more along with those I'm NOT proud of. Enjoy.  :)

Of the Daily Show.

Elwy Yost (comparable to James Lipton of the Actor's Studio)

Neil Young

Eric McCormack

Howie Mandell

Alanis Morissette

And now for 3 more big Hollywood names:

Norman Jewison, Walter Huston, and David Cronenberg.

And now for the people I'm not proud of:

Corey Haim

Sum 41

Avril Lavigne

And finally...

Peter Jennings

context, context, context.

cine

Quote from: cronopio l'inrockuptibleyou forgot Nelly Furtado.
She's from British Columbia.

ono

Okay, so you don't like Peter Jennings, but you like Howie Mandel?  Gotta be a story behind that one.

Quote from: 50 Centiphile
Quote from: cronopio l'inrockuptibleyou forgot Nelly Furtado.
She's from British Columbia.

Oh, okay .  :(
context, context, context.

cine

Quote from: OnomatopaellaOkay, so you don't like Peter Jennings, but you like Howie Mandel?  Gotta be a story behind that one.
Well Mandell has done a lot of voice work for shows and does comedy at Yuk Yuk's, which I do from time to time as well. So I look up to Mandell for being really funny still, even though he looks like a freak now.

Jennings is just a Republican ass-kisser.

pete

Taiwan

ang lee

zippers and other clothing accessories
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Quote from: 50 Centiphile
Quote from: OnomatopaellaOkay, so you don't like Peter Jennings, but you like Howie Mandel?  Gotta be a story behind that one.
Well Mandell has done a lot of voice work for shows and does comedy at Yuk Yuk's, which I do from time to time as well. So I look up to Mandell for being really funny still, even though he looks like a freak now.
So you do stand-up?  That's cool.  You should post a video of your routine sometime.  As for Mandel, just don't ever see any of the bits he does for Leno.  He's like a "not poor" man's Tom Green, but half as funny and almost as annoying.
QuoteJennings is just a Republican ass-kisser.
You're probably right, just surprised to see it is all.