xixax cultural awareness thread.

Started by NEON MERCURY, April 18, 2004, 09:12:42 PM

SoNowThen

Mogwai, did you purposely exclude the Graaf sisters?

:)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: SoNowThenMogwai, did you purposely exclude the Graaf sisters?

:)
yes.

modage

Quote from: mogwai

the sounds, a disgrace. nuff said.
ouch, are they that terrible?  haha, i'm actually going to be seeing them tonite in wash dc, but only because division of laura lee is opening for them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Well, I don't know much about this Hammarskjöld fellow, but here's a quote I just found:

"Fatigue dulls the pain, but awakes enticing thoughts of death. So! that is the way in which you are tempted to overcome your loneliness-by making the ultimate escape from life.-No! It may be that death is to be your ultimate gift to life: it must not be an act of treachery against it."
context, context, context.

mogwai

Quote from: themodernage02ouch, are they that terrible?  haha, i'm actually going to be seeing them tonite in wash dc, but only because division of laura lee is opening for them.
you might enjoy them, don't take my judgement and run with it. now if anyone wants to ask me more about sweden, please pm me because we're ruining this thread. :wink:

Jeremy Blackman

I'm from Minneapolis, MN... and I'll try to make this short...

PROUD OF

Bob Dylan

the Coen brothers

Al Franken

Bobby McFerrin

Rachael Leigh Cook

Hubert H. Humphrey (vice president and Vietnam protestor)

Kofi Annan (well, he went to school here)

ASHAMED OF

Jesse Ventura

Craig Kilborn

and anybody who has that ridiculous stereotypical Minnesotan accent...

mogwai

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanand anybody who has that ridiculous stereotypical Minnesotan accent...
the heck ya mean? :(

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Rules For Visiting Minnesota

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at Kroll's Kitchen. It's a diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they know. If you upset the ladies in the kitchen they'll kick your butt.

2) Don't laugh at the names of our little towns: Fertile, Moorhead, Climax, Cummings, Gentilly, or we will just HAVE to kick your butt.

3) Don't order a bottle or a can of soda here. Up here it's called Pop. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to a butt kicking.

4) We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you. We are also better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don't refer to us as a bunch of hicks or we'll kick your butt.

5) We have plenty of business sense. You have to make a living up here. Naturally, we do sometimes have small lapses in judgment from time to time (Jesse Ventura) but we are not dumb enough to let someone move to our state in order to run for the Senate. If someone tried to do that, we would kick her butt back to Arkansas.

6) We are fully aware of how cold it gets here in the winter, so shut the heck up. Just spend your money and get the heck out of here or we'll kick your butt.

7) Don't order the vegetarian special at the local diner. Everyone will instantly know that you're a tourist. Eat your steak rare like God intended and have some potatoes with that, for heaven's sake! Also, don't ask what a hot dish is or we'll kick your butt.

8 ) Don't try to fake a Minnesota accent. We don't have an accent. Do NOT mention the movie "Fargo" as that will incite a riot and you will get your butt kicked.

9) Don't talk about how much better things are at home because we know better. Many of us have visited big-city like Detroit, New York, and LA, and we have the scars to prove it. If you don't like it here, Northwest Airlines is ready when you are. Move your butt on home before it gets kicked.

10) Yes, we know that ice fishing is "not your thing." We don't care. If you don't understand the beauty of being out on a lake when it's 10 below zero then you should go home and try fishing in New York Harbor. Also, if you hog the heater in the fish house we'll kick your butt.

11) Don't complain that Minnesota doesn't really have 10,000 lakes, we actually have around 22,000, so if you whine we'll kick your butt all the way back to Cleveland.

12) Don't ridicule our mannerisms. We only speak when spoken to. We hold doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet, little gray-haired grandmothers or they will kick some manners into your butt just like they did ours.

13) So you think we're quaint or losers because most of us live in the north woods? That's because we have enough sense to not live in filthy, smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or LA. Make fun of our fresh air and we'll kick your butt.

14) Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE to come out here and tell us how the Vikings and the Twins suck (only Minnesotans and true fans can knock'em down). If you do, this will get your butt shot (right after it is kicked). Just mention this once and you will go home in a pine box minus your butt.
context, context, context.

molly

I saw a documentary today, about Americans keeping big cats as home pets, and they said that Texas has the largest population of tiger, lions, pumas etc in USA. They mentioned a town called Pahrump. pah-rrrump Sorry, cronopio's post about Minnesota's town names made me think of Pahrump.

MacGuffin

Whittier, CA

All shot scenes in Uptown Whitter.

"Back To The Future 1 & 2" were shot at my high school.

John Lassiter (Pixar) went that same high school (was in my sister's class).

Nixon went to that same high school and Whittier College.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

I was born in Nashville, TN.  Who was also born in Nashville?

THE GOOD

Gregg & Duane Allman

THE BAD

DJ Qualls

THE BUSTY

Dolly Parton

cine

Quote from: PwaybloeI was born in Nashville, TN. Who was also born in Nashville?
I don't know, but I think Altman shot a film there before.

panthera_tigris

Upper Michigan: home of the yooper
Proud of:
1.our near Canadian accent eh...but you tell us we're Canadian and we'll shoot your fucking face off!!!
2.outhouse races....why not?
3.nothing much else to be proud of, maybe i'm just oblivious to what there is to be proud of here, but i personally find it's pathetic up here
Ashamed of:
1.ignorance/intolerance of other cultures
2.living in the boonies of America and being so sheltered
3.Jeff Daniels...i like the guy, but man "Escanaba in Da Moonlight" pissed me off.
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown;
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice.
- Merchant of Venice: Act 4

BonBon85

Marin County, California

Home or birthplace of:

George Lucas

Sean Penn

David Fincher

Also, Tupac, Huey Lewis and the News, The Velvet Teen, and Metallica :( (my mom used to take care of the lead singer's dog)

And the movie Radio Flyer was filmed down the street from my house (in the ugly blue houses known as "smurf village").