Atom Egoyan

Started by children with angels, March 10, 2003, 03:20:18 PM

Gamblour.

Just finished seeing the Sweet Hereafter, my first Egoyan film. Man, I really liked it, one of those films where I felt like I didn't need to question what was going to happen, that it would all be there for a reason, in terms of the overall film. Ian Holm's relationship with his daughter was pretty heart-breaking, actually gave me some insight into my own life. Really great, listened to some of the commentary, he sounds like a really intelligent guy, I wanna see more.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor the ManwhoreI wanna see more.

See "Exotica".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

abuck1220

exotica is my favorite, followed by sweet hereafter and family viewing.

i've also seen (and enjoyed) calendar, felicia's journey, speaking parts and the adjuster.

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor the ManwhoreI wanna see more.

See "Exotica".

I second that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

classical gas

I really loved "The Sweet Hereafter".  I gave "Exotica" a shot.  I had wanted to see it for so long, but honestly, I got a little bored with it and didn't finish.  It had a nice, slow, eerie mood, it made me think of "Muholland Drive".  But all and all, I wasn't interested.    So, is the ending really amazing or what?  If I didn't like the first half, would the end not impress me?  Of course, it could have been one of those times when I was tired and not in the mood.  Maybe I'll see it again and love it.

Gamblour.

Just watched Exotica. I guess I was spoiled by Sweet Hereafter, but Exotica was ok. I mean, I really liked all of Egoyan's stuff, distortion of time, keeping every single bit of information from the audience, but I think I was a little tired, so I was confused too often, wondering too much and didn't feel much emotion. I dunno, more I think about it, the less I like it. Sweet Hereafter had a lot of emotion I could completely understand. I couldn't connect to much in this movie. Oh well.
WWPTAD?

godardian

Quote from: classical gasI really loved "The Sweet Hereafter".  I gave "Exotica" a shot.  I had wanted to see it for so long, but honestly, I got a little bored with it and didn't finish.  It had a nice, slow, eerie mood, it made me think of "Muholland Drive".  But all and all, I wasn't interested.    So, is the ending really amazing or what?  If I didn't like the first half, would the end not impress me?  Of course, it could have been one of those times when I was tired and not in the mood.  Maybe I'll see it again and love it.

The last 5 minutes brings the entire thing together in one tiny yet sweeping emotional moment. You can't say you've seen it 'til you've seen the end. I found it extremely powerful, much more so than if everything had been in "order," to see that moment after seeing everything else. I'll admit that the preceding parts of the film feel odd and are hard to get used to, but after seeing the film a number of times, I can say that they need to feel that way for the end to work the way it does.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

molly

hahahah
jewish singles network add just popped up

Stefen

Spoilers.

I recently watched the sweet hereafter again and I just gotta give props to this fantastic film. Atom Egoyan really plays with the emotions of the audience, with the many shots of the blood ridden bus. Dolores the bus driver is probably the saddest character in the whole movie. All she did was make a simple mistake. At the end I was actually happy for her that she was driving another bus and I got the impression Ian Holms character was also. Just a great film that demands attention.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Several months ago I saw The Sweet Hereafter.  I didn't like it too much.  Had some interesting elements, but wasn't that great.

Posting now because I just saw Exotica.  What an amazing film.  So subtle, such excellent writing.  It's like an onion.  Just layers and layers slowly peeled off until you get to the heart of the matter.  There were a few loose ends, and a few lines of dialogue and a few plot points that were both quite painful, but the overall effect, the overlapping/intersecting stories, the moving in and out of scenes so quickly, the score, and that song "Everybody Knows" were all just great elements for a fine experience.  Only drawback is you have to be in the mood to experience it, or you might find yourself bored.  You need patience to enjoy Egoyan's stuff, that's for sure.

ono

Very interesting.

No details yet on the contents.  Can anyone else find anything?  I was searching for info on Exotica because, randomly, the flick popped into my head.  It was 'cause I read the name Leonard Cohen.  Exotica is such a beautiful movie.  Worth at least one viewing, preferably two.

Weak2ndAct

Most likely, the box will just be a package of the already existing dvds for Calendar, Speaking Parts, and Family Viewing/Next of Kin-- Zeitgeist is the distrubtor for the set and the individual discs.

ono

You are correct, sir.

January 31st, 2006

w/o horse

I watched Next of Kin and Family Viewing recently.  Next of Kin was like an off the streets of LA videocam movie, which really surprised me.  Obnoxious v.o. and lazy camera work, a thin and forced story.  Oh and there were a lot of shots of televisions with an unmatched framerate.  It made me cringe.

And then next was Family Viewing and it was, 'Hello Atom Egoyan.'    You can still tell that he's got all the vinegar of a filmmaker who's ready to make change, Citizen Ruth and The Scar come to mind, in that he's pushing his points a little too much, especially for Egoyan.  This one had an ending, and a middle, and it had black and white, but it was still dense and enjoyable.  Really well written, well directed, well shot.  The things we expect from Egoyan now, here in his second feature.

It's also interesting to see the ideas of his later films on a more naked level.  He takes a clear stance on technology, the modern world, old vs. young, and monogamy.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gamblour.

I saw Family Viewing over the summer. The ending is a great moment, I remember the whole film was very Lynchian. Besides that it was made on video, I don't remember much else. It was decent.
WWPTAD?