I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

Derek237

Not a DVD, but I just bought this. Found it in the bargain bin for 5 bucks. It's pretty good since I'm a huge fan of late night talkshows, but I didn't care for the guy who played Leno.

Oh, and I bought Osbournes season 2 on DVD.

SoNowThen

Love Is Colder Than Death, Gods Of The Plague, American Soldier

the early crime trilogy by Fassbinder!!!

credit to Godardian for the intro...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

I just bought that live DVD from Roseland NY with Portishead. Great!

samsong

recently got a regionless player

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ShanghaiOrange

Preordered Upright Citizens Brigade Season 1 :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

godardian

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangePreordered Upright Citizens Brigade Season 1 :(

Ooh... that sounds like one for me. I remember when it would always be on right after Strangers with Candy. Now, THAT was a quality hour of comedy!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Sleuth

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: ShanghaiOrangePreordered Upright Citizens Brigade Season 1 :(

Ooh... that sounds like one for me. I remember when it would always be on right after Strangers with Candy. Now, THAT was a quality hour of comedy!

I ordered mine about a week ago from the UCB theater online store, comes with free shirt*.  I hope it comes in by tomorrow

*costed a total of $30, so more like $10 shirt.
I like to hug dogs

Pedro

SoNowThen

it would appear it is German week.... cuz I went out last night and bought:

!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatwad

I went to Boarders last night and bought The Spike Jonze and Chris Cunningham Director Series DVD's. They did not have the Gondy one in stock.

I was going to pre order the UCB Season 1 DVD from Amazon, but I'm going to go over to the Theatre Friday and buy it.

godardian

Quote from: MeatwadChris Cunningham Director Series DVD's.

From the liner notes to Luke Haines and The Auteurs' Das Capital: Songwriting Genius (a greatest hits of sorts), on their '96 album After Murder Park:

"Chris Cunningham has made a career out of recycling this sleeve art."

...as usual, Luke Haines was there first and did it better.

And he even has his own item on Xixax!! http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1979&start=15

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

..from my day off fromm xixax i spent hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$ on:

godardian