Alan Rickman

Started by Katre, April 11, 2004, 08:56:11 AM

Katre

I like Rickman. But the way the film industry works, there is a depressing tendency for him to get type cast as comic Grand Guignol villains. As such, he is always equal to himself, (unforgettable as the Sheriff of Nottingham or the sleazy political spinmaster in BOB ROBERTS) but underused IMHO. He is capable of so many more dimensions, and is never so good as when he is cast against type.

My favorite performnace by him though is as the revenant cellist in Anthony Minghella's TRULY MADLY DEEPLY, we have a delightfully nuanced comic portrayal, seductive enough
to get called back from the dead by the grief of his distraught widow, but also sufficiently annoying, flimsy and full of ticks, as to teach her to dispense with his memory and get on with her life.

So what do you guys think, do you think there's more to him than just a villain?

cine

Quote from: KatreSo what do you guys think, do you think there's more to him than just a villain?
Absolutely! Case in point: Love Actually.

To put my geek hat on for a moment, I must say that I do enjoy him in the Harry Potter series. And he was lucky enough to be given the funniest lines in Dogma.

So what do you guys think, do you think there's more to him than just a villain?
Absolutely! Case in point: Love Actually.

Yessir.

And I think he's the  reason to own Dogma.
context, context, context.

Thrindle

Quote from: CinebunnyAnd he was lucky enough to be given the funniest lines in Dogma.

Beat me to it.  I was gonna say that.

Rickman is strangely ATTRACTIVE!  Love his voice.... mmmm.... voice.
Classic.

El Duderino

rickman is the shit. he's one of those guys that can play a believable villan (Die Hard), an exhausted angel (Dogma), and some guy in Love Actually (which i did not see). but yeah, he's great.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Just Withnail

Rickman will get me to see any movie. I like the way he seems to know he's got a dead serious look, and utilizes it for comical effect. He's part of the supporting-actors-who-really-need-a-leading-actor-part-to-do-them-justice-club with Philip Seymore Hoffman and Steve Buscemi. Definitely a personal favorite.

Katre

Quote from: WithnailRickman will get me to see any movie. I like the way he seems to know he's got a dead serious look, and utilizes it for comical effect. He's part of the supporting-actors-who-really-need-a-leading-actor-part-to-do-them-justice-club with Philip Seymore Hoffman and Steve Buscemi. Definitely a personal favorite.

I can't stand Mr. Hoffman, but other than that i agree.

cine

Quote from: Katre
Quote from: WithnailHe's part of the supporting-actors-who-really-need-a-leading-actor-part-to-do-them-justice-club with Philip Seymore Hoffman and Steve Buscemi. Definitely a personal favorite.
:shock:  It's been nice knowing you.

Katre

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Katre
Quote from: WithnailHe's part of the supporting-actors-who-really-need-a-leading-actor-part-to-do-them-justice-club with Philip Seymore Hoffman and Steve Buscemi. Definitely a personal favorite.
:shock:  It's been nice knowing you.

Well you gotta admit, he does play the same character a lot.
And what's with Alang Came Polly? You can't get much lower than that.