NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Raikus

It's a great game and a great idea, but it gets old fast. My wife played it for a month and hasn't touched it for about six months now.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SHAFTR

Quote from: God Damn Im Da ManGod Damn's Take on video games

Halo 2 - I know alot of people are going to hate what I'm going to say, but I believe Halo (the series in general) is really over rated. Don't get me wrong, Multiplayer Halo is fun, fun as hell, but that's all it is. It's just my opinion but I would rather be playing a Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Zelda, GTA, Mario sunshine, Ninja Gaiden game rather than a Halo game. Then again I've never been a fan of te First Person Shooters, although I will admit Halo is probably the best FPS I've played. Although I had more fun playing the First person shooter entitled XIII.  The only major beef I have with the game is that it is pretty much the same game from a few years back with only a few significant add ons. In my opinion the game could have been called Halo 1.5 rather than Halo 2.

Ninja Gaiden - This game was beautiful. The graphics we're slick as hell, it even gave me the old school video game feel, worth a play though.

first, about Halo 2.  I'm a huge fan of the series, but I can see what you are saying.  My problem is you enjoyed XIII, you are disabled for thinking that.  I played through that game in about 3 days and it was awful.  The only thing it has going for it is the cell shaded graphics.

second, ninja gaiden looked beautiful but it's hampered by a severe camera problem.  This is a problem that can't be overlooked since it hampers gameplay and the fact that Prince of Persia had a near flawless camera system for the same type of game.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: God Damn Im Da Man Halo 2 - I know alot of people are going to hate what I'm going to say, but I believe Halo (the series in general) is really over rated. Don't get me wrong, Multiplayer Halo is fun, fun as hell, but that's all it is. It's just my opinion but I would rather be playing a Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Zelda, GTA, Mario sunshine, Ninja Gaiden game rather than a Halo game. Then again I've never been a fan of te First Person Shooters, although I will admit Halo is probably the best FPS I've played. Although I had more fun playing the First person shooter entitled XIII.  The only major beef I have with the game is that it is pretty much the same game from a few years back with only a few significant add ons. In my opinion the game could have been called Halo 1.5 rather than Halo 2.
I completely agree with you. Halo is massively overrated. I would say it's an average game. You're right... it's fun, but nothing more. It's only popular because of the hardware. The weapons (save one or two) are either boring and unimaginative or uselessly elaborate. It's also a slow game, which drives me crazy. I'm used to the pace of Quake and Unreal. And because it's a slow game, players rely more on jumping and falling and otherwise vertically maneuvering. Halo is a vertical game, and I like horizontal. Remember Goldeneye, when you didn't even have to jump? And the vehicles... good God, I hate the vehicles. Halo's maps are too big and open and messy. I prefer buildings with halls and close combat (Goldeneye's "Facility" is a good example).

Quote from: SHAFTRMy problem is you enjoyed XIII, you are disabled for thinking that.  I played through that game in about 3 days and it was awful.  The only thing it has going for it is the cell shaded graphics.
XIII is a wonderful game. Maybe I'm a sucker for the gimmicks, but I think it's more imaginative and alive than pretty much any other FPS.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: God Damn Im Da Man Halo 2 - I know alot of people are going to hate what I'm going to say, but I believe Halo (the series in general) is really over rated. Don't get me wrong, Multiplayer Halo is fun, fun as hell, but that's all it is. It's just my opinion but I would rather be playing a Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Zelda, GTA, Mario sunshine, Ninja Gaiden game rather than a Halo game. Then again I've never been a fan of te First Person Shooters, although I will admit Halo is probably the best FPS I've played. Although I had more fun playing the First person shooter entitled XIII.  The only major beef I have with the game is that it is pretty much the same game from a few years back with only a few significant add ons. In my opinion the game could have been called Halo 1.5 rather than Halo 2.
I completely agree with you. Halo is massively overrated. I would say it's an average game. You're right... it's fun, but nothing more. It's only popular because of the hardware. The weapons (save one or two) are either boring and unimaginative or uselessly elaborate. It's also a slow game, which drives me crazy. I'm used to the pace of Quake and Unreal. And because it's a slow game, players rely more on jumping and falling and otherwise vertically maneuvering. Halo is a vertical game, and I like horizontal. Remember Goldeneye, when you didn't even have to jump? And the vehicles... good God, I hate the vehicles. Halo's maps are too big and open and messy. I prefer buildings with halls and close combat (Goldeneye's "Facility" is a good example).

Quote from: SHAFTRMy problem is you enjoyed XIII, you are disabled for thinking that.  I played through that game in about 3 days and it was awful.  The only thing it has going for it is the cell shaded graphics.
XIII is a wonderful game. Maybe I'm a sucker for the gimmicks, but I think it's more imaginative and alive than pretty much any other FPS.

Ridiculous.  XIII is so linear with an awful storyline that ends in a "To be continued".  Let me know if you ever get killed playing XIII, because I never did because of poor AI.

I mean, you can insult Halo 2 if you don't like first person shooters, but otherwise I don't understand.  Also, if you aren't playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live or a few xbox's system linked together, then you aren't really playing it.  It is a game designed for 8 - 16 players.  Halo 2 features incredibly balanced gameplay between weapons/grenades/vehicles.  Everything can be countered and re-countered.  I've played Quake & Unreal quite a bit in my life and I can't see how Halo 2 is slow in comparison, unless you aren't playing it online.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRRidiculous.  XIII is so linear with an awful storyline that ends in a "To be continued".  Let me know if you ever get killed playing XIII, because I never did because of poor AI.
I can't say... I haven't played the single player much. The multiplayer AI is pretty good.

Quote from: SHAFTRI mean, you can insult Halo 2 if you don't like first person shooters, but otherwise I don't understand.  Also, if you aren't playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live or a few xbox's system linked together, then you aren't really playing it.  It is a game designed for 8 - 16 players.  Halo 2 features incredibly balanced gameplay between weapons/grenades/vehicles.  Everything can be countered and re-countered.  I've played Quake & Unreal quite a bit in my life and I can't see how Halo 2 is slow in comparison, unless you aren't playing it online.
I played with 5 other people, which isn't exactly 8, but I think I got a sense of what a Halo 2 multiplayer game is like. There was enough going on, but the whole thing was still kind of awkward, laborious, large, and a little slow. Quake and Unreal are faster just because the running speed is faster (I'm not talking about the number of players in a game). Even Goldeneye was faster. But like I said, it's such a vertical game (unfortunately) that running speed doesn't really matter.

And I'm not saying it's imbalanced. I admire the balance. But I don't like the grenades and I absolutely hate the vehicles. So unless you really get into and enjoy every part of the game (which I didn't), it's not really balanced for you.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRRidiculous.  XIII is so linear with an awful storyline that ends in a "To be continued".  Let me know if you ever get killed playing XIII, because I never did because of poor AI.
I can't say... I haven't played the single player much. The multiplayer AI is pretty good.

Quote from: SHAFTRI mean, you can insult Halo 2 if you don't like first person shooters, but otherwise I don't understand.  Also, if you aren't playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live or a few xbox's system linked together, then you aren't really playing it.  It is a game designed for 8 - 16 players.  Halo 2 features incredibly balanced gameplay between weapons/grenades/vehicles.  Everything can be countered and re-countered.  I've played Quake & Unreal quite a bit in my life and I can't see how Halo 2 is slow in comparison, unless you aren't playing it online.
I played with 5 other people, which isn't exactly 8, but I think I got a sense of what a Halo 2 multiplayer game is like. There was enough going on, but the whole thing was still kind of awkward, laborious, large, and a little slow. Quake and Unreal are faster just because the running speed is faster (I'm not talking about the number of players in a game). Even Goldeneye was faster. But like I said, it's such a vertical game (unfortunately) that running speed doesn't really matter.

And I'm not saying it's imbalanced. I admire the balance. But I don't like the grenades and I absolutely hate the vehicles. So unless you really get into and enjoy every part of the game (which I didn't), it's not really balanced for you.

So, it's more not your thing than overrated.

Jeremy Blackman

They're called bots, Stefen.

Quote from: SHAFTRSo, it's more not your thing than overrated.
I'd say 60% not my thing and 40% overrated.

But wouldn't you agree that the major reason for Halo's success is hardware?

GodDamnImDaMan

Oh guys, I didn't put something real important when I was comparing Halo 2 to XIII. I never played the XIII single player. I'm comparing XIII multiplayer to Halo 2's multiplayer. To be honest I would have to say Halo 2's multiplayer is funner overall, but I personally enjoyed XIII's multiplayer more.
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Raikus

Why is everyone arguing? Everyone knows Timesplitters 2 is the best FPS eva!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

GodDamnImDaMan

Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

SHAFTR

Quote from: God Damn Im Da ManGoldeneye will go down as the best FPS ever.

Doubtful, as of right now Halflife will.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThey're called bots, Stefen.

Quote from: SHAFTRSo, it's more not your thing than overrated.
I'd say 60% not my thing and 40% overrated.

But wouldn't you agree that the major reason for Halo's success is hardware?

Well, it is the only 3rd generation console to really create a FPS that compares to PC games.  WIth the keyboard and mouse, FPS are made to thrive on PCs.  I haven't played a Halo port on PC/Mac, so I don't know how it plays on that.  But, as I said before, it's the best console FPS that I've played, when it comes to multiplayer (Unless you count the Tom Clancy games, but I consider them in a different category).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Argue all you want over FPS's, just know that the best RPG ever made was Fallout 2.  Closely followed by Fallout.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: WalrusClosely followed by Fallout.

The opening "movie" for Fallout looked like the trailer of a film I'd really, really like to see.  I had my brother burn me a copy of the game just for that opening.  

2LB
Body by Guinness