NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Pedro

ono

I think the conflict is more moral than ethical. Never played it, have no desire to, really.

Quote from: SleuthYou'll be back once you realize it's the same game they've been releasing for years

no!

i went to look for it today . :( , damn international distribution.
context, context, context.

Chest Rockwell

ono

Morals are a personal set of values that vary from member to member of a society.  Collectively they form an understanding as to how one should behave socially.  Ethics are more a professional set of values.

For example, I would say it's a moral choice whether or not to play GTA for certain reasons.  It is also a moral and an ethical choice on the part of the creators of the game as to whether or not it is a right/good thing to do.  Moral, personally, as "is it right to glorify this sort of behavior?", and ethical in that "is it right to profit off it as well?"

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ono.Morals are a personal set of values that vary from member to member of a society.  Collectively they form an understanding as to how one should behave socially.  Ethics are more a professional set of values.
I disagree. I think ethics are only a set of morals or some coherent organization of morals... they don't have to be less personal than morals. So I guess if you had several related moral dilemmas, it would amount to an ethical dilemma. Your moral organization would be your so-called code of ethics. And hasn't the idea of "morals" become more socialized than "ethics" anyway?

Well, anyway, Chest... maybe you can compare GTA to the Fallout games in terms of moral choices (good or evil) and if it favors any particular code of ethics.

Stefen

Come on, we were having some good talk about video games and you two intelligent assholes have to come and ruin it. Take that shit to starbucks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

We may be saying the same thing in different ways, though I still think my definition is more accurate:

Quote from: dictionary.comethics
3. The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession: medical ethics.
Quote from: dictionary.commorals
3. Rules or habits of conduct, especially of sexual conduct, with reference to standards of right and wrong: a person of loose morals; a decline in the public morals.
I do disagree with the definition concentrating on sexual conduct.  Morals are more broad than that, though the connotation does indicate "sexual" a lot.  Not to get overly pedantic or anything.  Excuse me, I hear my coffee is ready.  :)

Jeremy Blackman

Well, I'm always up for some dictionary battle...

Quote from: dictionary.com alsoethic
1a. A set of principles of right conduct.
1b. A theory or a system of moral values.
Quote from: dictionary.com alsomoral
(adj.) Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong

Pubrick

did nobody watch ELECTION?

i can't believe ppl still hav to ask that morals/ethics question.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

If I had trouble seperating reality from illusion...maybe I'd have ethical problems with the GTA games.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWell, anyway, Chest... maybe you can compare GTA to the Fallout games in terms of moral choices (good or evil) and if it favors any particular code of ethics.
It's funny how no one ever makes a big beef with computer games. I'd say they're both morally and ethically reprehensible. The difference is that while Fallout presents its rather depraved (horrific) situations in a post-apocalyptic world, GTA puts them in a "reality." The effect Fallout creates by this is a warning against the creation of such a world (i.e. don't fuck up the present world with bombs), because once we reach a certain point all that will be left is the slums and the elitist government, not to mention radioactive mutants. GTA on the other hand tells us that the world, more particularly, the urban setting, is already morally unethical. However, it is presented in a flashier and more entertaining format, and therefore it's not seen as such and comes off more as violent drivel to some.

Personally, I don't care either way. They're both fun.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Chest RockwellThe effect Fallout creates by this is a warning against the creation of such a world (i.e. don't fuck up the present world with bombs), because once we reach a certain point all that will be left is the slums and the elitist government, not to mention radioactive mutants.
Exactly! That's probably why I love Fallout and why I've never really had moral/ethical conflicts with it. Even though there is definitely a good/evil choice (you can follow the hero storyline or just kill everyone), the games really do have an opinion.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Ono, did you just not catch the Election reference, or did you want to explain your side?

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Chest RockwellThe effect Fallout creates by this is a warning against the creation of such a world (i.e. don't fuck up the present world with bombs), because once we reach a certain point all that will be left is the slums and the elitist government, not to mention radioactive mutants.
Exactly! That's probably why I love Fallout and why I've never really had moral/ethical conflicts with it. Even though there is definitely a good/evil choice (you can follow the hero storyline or just kill everyone), the games really do have an opinion.

Which is why Fallout and GTA are awesome games.

Life a crappy life in real life.

Kill everyone in the game.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobOno, did you just not catch the Election reference, or did you want to explain your side?
I've never seen the whole movie, so no.