Unhip is hip

Started by pookiethecat, October 04, 2003, 11:19:05 PM

pookiethecat

sure i could go on about beth orton, bright eyes, jon brion, radiohead, and the velvet underground (all some of my favorite artists, by the way) but i think the hip get enough attention. so here are some current unhip favorites

Jonny Lang:
This guy hit it big in the mid 90's with his bluesy hit "lie to me."  he was only fifteen had long blonde hair and thus got mixed up with hanson.  but he reminds me more of jeff buckley than hanson.  i highly recommend downloading the song "missing your love."

George Michael:
great songwriter, great vocalist, great everything.  but his reputation as a cornball kinda overpowers his talent.

Sheryl Crow:
Tuesday Night Music Club is one of the best albums I own.  It's fresh, lyrically witty, and the instrumentation is diverse.  i think her image sells her talent short.

Fiona Apple:
If I even mention that I like this artist, people cringe.  Fuck em, i say.  She's a brilliant songwriter.

Michael Jackson:
Have you ever sat down and listened to his shit?!  It's fucking brillaint. And he wrote every goddamn one of his songs, all the classics and everything.

Madonna:
Along the same lines as MJ in how her iconic status doesn't do her justice...I really like her early to mid-80's stuff.  It's fun and  epitomizes good pop music.

If you have any other unhip favorites, feel free to share!  Expressing one's unhipness can be therapeutic.
i wanna lick 'em.

pete

michael didn't REALLY write his songs though; Quincy Jones "helped" him with that.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: pookiethecatSheryl Crow . . . i think her image sells her talent short.

Probably, but I can't get over it. Almost nothing is more annoying to me. Well, there's John Mellencamp.

Quote from: pookiethecatMichael Jackson:
Have you ever sat down and listened to his shit?!  It's fucking brillaint. And he wrote every goddamn one of his songs, all the classics and everything.

Does anyone really doubt the brilliance of Michael Jackson?

pookiethecat

hmmm...

do you have proof of this?  

there's a shitload of great songs credited to Michael Jackson's name.  Even if Quincy Jones helped him out with some, there's definitely a pattern of consistently good songwriting...if the greatness of his compositions were anamolies, i mgiht believe you.  but that's not the case.

why you tryin to bring mj down?  he has enough shit to bring him down.  you can't take away the fact that the man can write.
i wanna lick 'em.

SoNowThen

let's see, the Oasis hate is at a fever pitch right now...

so my fav unhip is Oasis. Minus the new album, gimme any song, b-side or anything, and I will crank it up and sing at the top of my lungs. Wooeee!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Does anyone really doubt the brilliance of Michael Jackson?

according to you, apparently not.  most people i know regard him as more of an object of public spectacle than the great songwriter-vocalist he is.

by the way, oasis does (did?) indeed rock.  i love be here now, mornin glory and especially definitely maybe.  and yeah, they're pretty goddamn unhip.
i wanna lick 'em.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

My Unhip top 5

5.0  kid n' play
4.0  huey lewis and the news
3.0  bonnie tyler(yes..just because of that one song.)
2.0  thirty odd foot of grunts
1.0  dogstar

pete

Quote from: pookiethecathmmm...

do you have proof of this?  

there's a shitload of great songs credited to Michael Jackson's name.  Even if Quincy Jones helped him out with some, there's definitely a pattern of consistently good songwriting...if the greatness of his compositions were anamolies, i mgiht believe you.  but that's not the case.

why you tryin to bring mj down?  he has enough shit to bring him down.  you can't take away the fact that the man can write.

I don't think anyone can really "bring mj down" just by simply pointing out that he's had help writing his songs and that Quincy Jones is a good man.

and why aren't people talking about how michael moves over here?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

phil marlowe

i dig arnold schwartzenegger.

Sigur Rós

Unhip:

1. 10cc
2. ZZ Top
3. Ohio Players
4. Michael Jackson
5. GodDamnImDaman!

pookiethecat

Quote from: NEON MERCURY4.0  huey lewis and the news

have you seen them live?  they're good live.  i don't care how cheesy their reputation is nor how mulletted their fan base is.  

the mackmomma of unhip music:

great songwriter.  'at seventeen' 'society's child' and 'ride me like a wave' are classic.
i wanna lick 'em.

Pedro

Quote from: Sigur
1. 10cc
:yabbse-cheesy:  :yabbse-thumbup:
Deceptive Bends is one of the coolest classic rock albums i own..."feel the benefit" is worth the price of the disc alone.

Ghostboy

Quote from: pookiethecat
Fiona Apple:
If I even mention that I like this artist, people cringe.  Fuck em, i say.  She's a brilliant songwriter.

I think that, at least on this site, she qualifies as inherently hip. Only about five or six months till her next album!

My own CD collection is 100% hip. Mostly.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: GhostboyI think that, at least on this site, she qualifies as inherently hip. Only about five or six months till her next album!
until it gets pushed back another 2 years...first single entitled "I hate Paul"... :lol: