Mr. Turner

Started by wilder, May 15, 2014, 09:50:55 PM

wilder

Chronicles the eccentric life of the British painter J.M.W. Turner, who hangs with aristocracy and prostitutes, and who once strapped himself to the mast of a ship so he could accurately paint a snowstorm.

Written and Directed by Mike Leigh
Starring Timothy Spall
Release Date - December 19, 2014

Two clips

jenkins

kinda some big ol' duh, how i see the reason for sharing turner paintings

all together they'd be too large to display at once, so the magic here is you can click the image to head to the album i made instead

wilder

Opens limited December 19th, wider in the new year

wilder

Alexandro

Oh man, oh man, this movie is beautiful. Physically beautiful. Literally each frame is a visual orgasm. Dick Pope deserved every awards for this. And Timothy Spall embodies this guy, he doesn't play him. I wasn't prepared for how good this movie is. Mike Leigh really takes out the big guns every time he goes "period".

There are some films about painters, but few of them make the painting itself, the POV of the artist in relation to his craft such a crucial point. This is a film that makes you think about the nature of light, color, physical, chemical, biological aspect of it. And the nature of art, the point of it. It goes beyond whatever constriction it may had initially as a "biopic" and becomes a thing on it's own. Really, run and see it.

wilder

samsong

mike leigh makes an ingmar bergman movie.  this is a good, nay, GREAT thing.  i was pretty exhausted when i saw this and it's a bit of an endurance test to begin with (see: woefully british) so i'd like to see it again with all my faculties in tact, but i'm a big leigh fan and so this is my happy place.  as is typical of leigh, the performances are all so good it's unfair, dick poop's work is career best here, but i was really taken by the score.  so unusual and perfect for the film.