Charlie Brooker's "Black Mirror"

Started by wilder, January 26, 2012, 09:15:01 PM

wilder

Charlie Brooker, the writer of E4's Dead Set, returns with a suspenseful, satirical three-part mini-series. An Endemol press release describes the series as "a hybrid of The Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected which taps into our contemporary unease about our modern world", with the stories having a "techno-paranoia" feel. Channel 4 describes the first episode as "a twisted parable for the Twitter age".

"Black Mirror" - Series Trailer
"Black Mirror" - IMDB

Episode 1 - "The National Anthem"

-
-
-

Episode 2 - "15 Million Merits"

-
-
-
-
-

Episode 3 - "The Entire History of You"

-Part 1
-
-
-

Warning: Episode synopses contain potential spoilers

polkablues

I just watched "15 Million Merits" for the first time last night.  These sort of reductio ad absurdum science fiction stories have a tendency to fall back on easy allegory ("In Time", "Gamer", "Idiocracy"), but this one manages to avoid that, it creates a world that feels more like a legitimate continuation of our own than simply a comment on it.  It's also the bleakest story I've seen since "Dancer in the Dark", which earns it a big thumbs up from me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

I just watched the first episode of season 2 and it's absolutely terrifying, made me feel sick to my stomach.

BB

Thank you so much for this, wilderesque! The twelve-year-old Twilight Zone freak in me just found his new favourite show.

picolas

just put on the first ep of black mirror based on Pubrick's non-recommendation. holy shit. it's like an inverted dr. strangelove. a seemingly hilarious premise delivered with total seriousness/honesty.. mindblowing

wilder

Black Mirror series 3: Charlie Brooker confirms at least two more episodes
9 January 2014
via Metro

Charlie Brooker has promised more Black Mirror, saying that two 'helpings' of the Channel 4 drama are on the way.

The Weekly Wipe host said he couldn't be specific on details, but intimated that there would be another two dark and dystopian stories, though the show has previously come in threes.

'There will be more – I don't think I'm allowed to say quite when,' Brooker told Lauren Laverne on her BBC Radio 6Music show).

'There's going to be some and then there's going to be some more – you'll get one helping and then there'll be another helping.'

Robert Downey Jr purchased the rights to 2011 episode The Entire History of You last year, but Brooker said he remains in the dark over RDJ's plans for it.

'I'm not really involved in that – that was Jesse Armstrong's episode,' he added. 'People always mention that, like I'm now best mates with Robert Downey Jr. I've never met him!'

Brooker said he was 'not adverse' to further film adaptations though, explaining: 'We've had all sorts of conversations along those lines. 'They're high-concept ideas and that's the sort of thing that lends itself to being remade as a film.'

wilder

Axolotl

Also there's a 90 minute Christmas special later this month. Starring Jon Hamm

BB

Allow me please to echo the sentiments above. So so so good. Will be an annual tradition. My favourite TV thing I've seen this year.

Curious about this plot hole you speak of. Wondering if it's what I think it is. But yeah, doesn't matter.

Really hope they make a few more episodes. While we're waiting, should I check out Dead Set?

yeah please tell me the plot hole cause i feel stupid

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on February 09, 2013, 12:54:39 PM
I just watched "15 Million Merits" for the first time last night.  These sort of reductio ad absurdum science fiction stories have a tendency to fall back on easy allegory ("In Time", "Gamer", "Idiocracy"), but this one manages to avoid that, it creates a world that feels more like a legitimate continuation of our own than simply a comment on it.  It's also the bleakest story I've seen since "Dancer in the Dark", which earns it a big thumbs up from me.

Just watched "15 Million Merits" and it destroyed me. This has to be one of the sharpest dystopian stories ever. Don't want to spoil much here, so I'll just agree with you wholeheartedly and say it's a must-watch.

The first episode was also brilliant. I feel like this show was designed for me. I definitely put it off for too long. Does it stay consistent?

SPOILERS

"We medicate against that" — Most chilling line of "15 Million Merits"? The compliance milk is so unsettling too. (And makes it more poignant/heartbreaking when Bing makes his decision not under the influence.) I think this is going to be in my nightmares: "Resume viewing. Resume viewing. Resume viewing."

cronopio 2

Drenk

15 Millions Merits is the only episode I like from this show with the 2X01. I can't stand the rest.
Ascension.