Celebrities Gone Wild

Started by MacGuffin, September 18, 2004, 05:48:48 PM

private witt

At what point does this incident go from folk lore to legend?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

matt35mm

Excellent.  I love how he doesn't sound at all Welsh anymore.

Alexandro

Is Bale under a contract or something? I mean why the fuck is he doing a terminator sequel???? After Batman and The Dark Knight he felt the need to do this?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on February 04, 2009, 09:58:44 AM
Is Bale under a contract or something? I mean why the fuck is he doing a terminator sequel???? After Batman and The Dark Knight he felt the need to do this?

Some reports suggest he's under contract for an entire Terminator trilogy. But I'm not too surprised he would do this after his Batman roles. Before Batman he tried his hand at action roles with Reign of Fire and Equilibrium. I think he has a geniune interest to be a movie star.

If you compare Bale with Daniel Craig, both come from decent beginnings of acting and have gone on to do strong roles in indepedent films. Both have also crossed over to blockbuster roles, but Craig didn't take on Thor because he felt it would be just too much with also having done Bond. Obviously Bale didn't feel the same embarassment after becoming Bruce Wayne. 

pete

that's the story of most male movie stars.  franchises are a short cut to a household name.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

Yeah but Terminator at this stage feels like a B movie. Who was the star of the last one? Some model right?? I mean to be truly a movie star he would have to choose more carefully, work with the big name directors, the Manns, the Howards, not fucking McG....

This seems to be one of those cases, like when Edward Norton was contractually obligated to do one more film for who knows what studio and ended up doing The Italian Job and hating it.

pete

I also don't know why this can garner such big reactions from people.  people lose it all the time - this time was just a movie star doing it, therefore, more entertaining, but how people actually deem his character to be this and that is a little silly.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Because in the real world if you talk to your co-worker like that, you either get walked down to Human Resources by security, or you get your face broken.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on February 04, 2009, 04:39:14 PM
Because in the real world if you talk to your co-worker like that, you either get walked down to Human Resources by security, or you get your face broken.

voilĂ 

private witt

Quote from: Stefen on February 04, 2009, 04:39:14 PM

That's why it's so funny.  Bale knows he's the only person on set who isn't replaceable, and everyone else knows it too, that's why he knows he can go on and on for almost four minutes like this.  Listen to the way everyone speaks to him like they're timid little children trying to avoid the beat down from the school bully.  You're absolutely right, in the real world every person there would have told him to go fuck himself on his way to pick up his last check.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on February 04, 2009, 03:45:21 PM
Yeah but Terminator at this stage feels like a B movie. Who was the star of the last one? Some model right?? I mean to be truly a movie star he would have to choose more carefully, work with the big name directors, the Manns, the Howards, not fucking McG....

This seems to be one of those cases, like when Edward Norton was contractually obligated to do one more film for who knows what studio and ended up doing The Italian Job and hating it.

The third Terminator was a blip on the map. It was a mirage and cash cow mistake. More people still identify the Terminator films with the first two. A consensus is that those two are still excellent action films. They also levy respect because they transported James Cameron to a heavyweight in Hollywood and someone who garners more respect than even George Lucas. I recently watched the second one again and still had a really fun time and wished a lot of the things that were in that film were in more action films today.

Until I am shown evidence otherwise, I believe this was a conscious move on Bale's part. Edward Norton had signed a deal with a studio and owed them a film that would deliver at the box office. All the films Norton had done up until Italian Job were smaller stuff. Christian Bale already delivered huge amounts of money to studios with Dark Knight and has as much power as any actor could now. And considering to act in a Terminator film reques twice as much as time as most other films, I can't see how he could have been in the situation to be pressured to do this.

private witt

It must be exhausting to sit in your air conditioned trailer while stand-ins suffer the heat all day for you to walk out, say your line, and then go back into your trailer.  And I don't think Mr. Bale even gets paid more than five, six hundred dollars a week for these films, does he?

pete

- Buster Keaton

private witt

"tragedy and comedy are inseparable; they are two parts to a whole.  how the audience members comprehend--that's their business, but a good director needs to be capable of handling both."
--stephen chow

Please, more obvious quotes.

pete

- Buster Keaton