Who's a musician?

Started by Gamblour., September 11, 2005, 10:44:56 PM

Redlum

I played the drums for about 6 years but havent played for about 6 again. Took up the piano two years ago and the drumming really helped there as far as reading the music and the coordination of the left and the right in complex pieces. Everynow and again I'll condition myself to play another segment of the maple leaf rag, I'm about 2/3 through it now and it has never stopped being enjoyable to play.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gamblour.

Yeah, I can't read music worth a damn. it's the one thing that never caught on.

What is the maple leaf rag, redlum?
WWPTAD?

Redlum

Its one of Scott Joplins best rags. Theres a sample here: http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/search/productDetail.do?refer=search&itemId=1000006625

I think it was one of the best selling pieces of sheet music, ever.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Raikus

Piano/Alto Sax/Tenor Sax - 15+

Just starting to learn guitar.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Figure 8

I've played drums for probably about six years now, I guess, maybe closer to five.  I played piano for nine years, but haven't played for about 3 or 4 years since.  I also took up guitar for about six months, but then quit.

deathnotronic

drums guitar piano trumpet and i'm learning mandolin and banjo  :)

polkablues

This is amazing; it's like 90% of the people on xixax play drums, and yet in real life I can't find a single drummer when I'm looking for one (except for my 14-year-old next door neighbor, and he doesn't count because he sucks and his favorite band is Linkin Park... I mean, it's okay if you like Linkin Park, but for your favorite band to be Linkin Park... I don't know, there's something distressing about that).
My house, my rules, my coffee

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: polkablues(except for my 14-year-old next door neighbor, and he doesn't count because he sucks and his favorite band is Linkin Park... I mean, it's okay if you like Linkin Park, but for your favorite band to be Linkin Park... I don't know, there's something distressing about that).

there is something wrong if someones favorite band is linkin park.  it would clearly mean that that person would have no taste in quality music.
as for me,   i  can play the first few notes of metallicas's "nothing else matters" on guitar.  and i can play "joy to the world" on piano/80's style casio mini keyboard.
thats about it...i suck

rustinglass

I play the recorder (contralto), mainly barroque and modern music. But I stopped having lessons last year when i came to Lisbon, I really hope I can pick it up again later.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

I've played all of you like a harp from Hell!  :twisted:

And I used to play trumpet, but am out of practice.  :yabbse-undecided:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I've played piano, xylophone, clarinet, cello, baritone, trumpet, drums, and guitar with widely varying degrees of success and am mostly out of practice. My musical interest is in the computer now.

Reinhold

my rogue is level 40 guitar... but my black elf and mage are around 15 or 16 with percussion.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Alethia

ive played drums for about thirteen years (only took lessons for the first two), i taught myself how to play harmonica a few months back, i taught myself how to play guitar just before i turned fourteen, and i can sing.  my voice is somewhat limited, but what it can do it does well.  i can only read the most simplistic of sheet musics.

Gamblour.

Wait, what has all this been leading up to?

A xixax band that could beat the shit out of The Arcade Fire and Polyphonic Spree put together. What would we call ourselves?
WWPTAD?

context, context, context.