Dogville

Started by Weak2ndAct, July 12, 2003, 04:39:50 AM

bonanzataz

i keep watching lars von trier movies and never knowing what i'm getting into. i should know that when the name lars von trier is on the movie, it means over two hours of getting kicked in the ass. lars and michael haneke are great at that. two of my favorite filmmakers working today.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

jonas

I'm going to see it here (in L.A.) Friday, and it's advertised as 3 hours and 7 minutes.

I'm very excited and a full review will be coming.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

grand theft sparrow

I'm going to see this with my mother, a BIG Nicole Kidman fan, on Easter. I gave her fair warning a while back that it's not going to be standard Kidman fare by a longshot.

I anticipate being forced to leave after the first hour. Either that or I'll have to endure 3 hours of her sighing next to me, which is worse than the prospect of leaving a movie I'm enjoying.

Pray for me, brothers and sisters.

mogwai

Quote from: hacksparrowI'm going to see this with my mother, a BIG Nicole Kidman fan, on Easter. I gave her fair warning a while back that it's not going to be standard Kidman fare by a longshot.
i'm afraid that your mother will disown you.

Sigur Rós

Yess! Willem Dafoe will stare as Grace's father in Von Triers next project 'Manderlay'.

rustinglass

I liked Caan, couldn't willem play an abusive landlord with a shotgun instead?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

The Obstruction

Quote from: rustinglassYou should take a look at the audio diary that he had during the making of the idiots, it's hard to see a filmaker more crazy than that, he says ridiculous, mad things.

Is it the Jesper Jargil documnatary, if yes, i think you're right, he says a lot of crab in that, but i think it's to do with the female actor anne-louise something
She is intervining with his privat life, and my belife is that he needs to have straight lines in his private life to bare the crazy months where he is filming.
Besides of that i find that he is right in the conclusion that she is a great actor, but not quite ready, at the time of shooting The Idiots.

"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

matt35mm

Saw this movie.  Very interesting.

The way it builds up is very interesting.  Towards the end of the film, it just... was completely absorbing.

Some of the video didn't even look that bad.

The person I saw it with (it was hard convincing her to go, but this turned out to be one of her favorite movies ever, it seems) and I had a good conversation about the movie afterwards.  I don't really wanna get into all the thoughts I had now, cuz I don't think I can without spoiling the movie.

But anyway, I definitely recommend it.  The movie took a gamble and it paid off, which is always nice to see.

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mmI don't really wanna get into all the thoughts I had now, cuz I don't think I can without spoiling the movie.
with today's technology, we can preface such thoughts with *SPOILER* and like sum 15th century alchemist's dream, u can talk about it.
under the paving stones.

matt35mm

Okay fine, the truth is that I was just lazy.  You got me.

SoNowThen

May I please enquire WHEN THE FUCK THIS IS COMING TO CANADA?!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance to whoever's in the know.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenMay I please enquire WHEN THE FUCK THIS IS COMING TO CANADA?!!!!!!!
It's in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. :kiss:

SoNowThen

Right now?

If so, that's a good thing. Probably will filter to Edmonton soon. If it's already gone, then I guess I don't get it period...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

It's only in one small Cineplex Odeon in Vancouver, a small Cineplex Odeon in Toronto, and a couple cinemas in Montreal. It's been in these provinces for 2-3 weeks only. So the chances of it moving to Edmonton are slim. That's my take, at least.

SoNowThen

..... hahaha, so the day after I freak out, it comes to my favorite downtown theatre.

I get to see it this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!