Before Midnight

Started by wilder, March 28, 2013, 12:24:36 PM

wilder

We meet Jesse and Celine nine years on in Greece. Almost two decades have passed since their first meeting on that train bound for Vienna.

Directed by Richard Linklater
Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy
Release Date - May 24, 2013

Jeremy Blackman

They need to fix that tagline.

matt35mm

I seen the movie and dig it. It's like a mix of Ingmar Bergman and Delpy's 2 DAYS IN PARIS/NEW YORK.

That poster's weird, though. Stock photos of the actors at the bottom? A tagline that asks a double question? like this?

Jeremy Blackman

I also like how the movie gives itself 5 stars on the poster.

max from fearless

The worst fan movie poster ever...

Pubrick

they're too old to be talking that kind of shit.

and he needs to tuck his fucking shirt in!

ugh, she looks good at least.
under the paving stones.

samsong

this is perfect.  for something i didn't really want in the first place, the film dispels the notion that it was in any way superfluous.  as i did with before sunset, left the theater glowing and grateful that movies and characters like this exist.   

JG

man, this  movie is kinda too good. i'll be honest, i watched the other two for the first time yesterday, but i loved those two as well, especially the second. my kind of trilogy. not even seeing after earth afterwards could ruin it.

guys, i think this is a good year for movies.

xerxes

This was pretty great. I hope they make four or five more.

Robyn

I loved this despite Hawke being a complete dick most of the time.

Quote from: xerxes on June 07, 2013, 10:00:01 PM
I hope they make four or five more.

Imagine how great it would be if they keep making these films until they are really old. That would be lovely.

Robyn

Quote from: JG on June 06, 2013, 03:35:49 AM
my kind of trilogy.

It's not a trilogy! Linklater, Hawke and Delpy have all said that they probably make another on in 9 years.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

picolas

mah letterboxd review:

okay. i had some issues with this film and it didn't quite live up to the overwhelming hype. but i also had issues with sunset that have faded with time. i have a strong suspicion i will like this movie more when i'm older, and perhaps stop being so attached to sunrise as the best of the trilogy.

- i found myself on hawke's side for the majority of the movie. i wanted a more balanced series of arguments.

- i found the score very pacifying and reductive. like putting a bow on the ends of scenes. pretty much the same bow every time. silence probably would have been more powerful. or going back to classical ala sunrise.

i admire midnight for being decidedly different from the other two (once again), and the very IDEA of this series and the fact that it exists is breathtaking. every scene has more weight/depth to it because we've truly experienced these people evolve over 18 years. there are some really tremendous sequences, and i think the whole 'conversation' genre is amazing for conjuring so much history and getting straight to the heart of what people are about, and linklater is kind of the master of that. this movie will absolutely reward repeat views, and in ten years, After Midnight will make it more amazing, but on first view i find myself wanting to love delpy more, in spite of the fantastic realness and profundity of the rest of the movie.

---------

this series could really go anywhere. even after hawke or delpy die. it could be about being a widow. or meeting their kid's fiancés or something...