What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

grand theft sparrow

squints

So my girlfriend ordered Strangers With Candy Vol. 2 for me for my birthday and sadly it never came. But she got her money back and bought me this instead:

anyone read this? I just cracked it
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

godardian

Oh, squints, you have GOT to make sure you eventually get the Strangers w/ Candy vol. 2 set. AND vol. 3 at some point. The "Jerri Blank is ILLITERATE!!" episode is on vol. 2, and it might just be my favorite of all of them.

and

...which is really great because it has the short story, the screenplay, AND essays by Proulx, Ossana, and McMurtry about the process of adapting the story and seeing it as a completed film.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

squints

Quote from: godardian on March 30, 2006, 01:37:12 PM
Oh, squints, you have GOT to make sure you eventually get the Strangers w/ Candy vol. 2 set. AND vol. 3 at some point. The "Jerri Blank is ILLITERATE!!" episode is on vol. 2, and it might just be my favorite of all of them.

I've got Vol. 1 & 3 but 2 is no where to be found. This is the second time i've ordered it and its not shown up. But they played a lot of season 2 on comedy central during the day last month, so i kind of remember most of the episodes. i want them all!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian on March 30, 2006, 01:37:12 PM

...which is really great because it has the short story, the screenplay, AND essays by Proulx, Ossana, and McMurtry about the process of adapting the story and seeing it as a completed film.

Attention xixaxers:
Best Buy is giving this away free when you buy the DVD ($16.99).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 03, 2006, 12:09:31 PM

Attention xixaxers:
Best Buy is giving this away free when you buy the DVD ($16.99).

D'oh!!  :doh:  Yet again, my haste costs me $$. I had the book before I even knew about the DVD release date, but not too much sooner....
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

squints

i really wish i would've read this before seeing the film. Oh well, i just bought it today and i'm already pretty into it.

eloquentpilgrim

godardian

Quote from: eloquentpilgrim on April 25, 2006, 07:20:27 AM

:yabbse-thumbup:  One of my absolute favorites in recent memory.

I am going to his reading here in Seattle tomorrow night.

kotte

hedwig

godardian

picolas

Quote from: kotte on April 26, 2006, 05:25:29 AM

how does it defend sweatshops? i'm just curious.

godardian, i've been meaning to read stuff by thomas mann. just letting you know stuff that i want to do.

context, context, context.

kotte

Quote from: cronopio on April 28, 2006, 08:03:51 AM
Quote from: kotte on April 26, 2006, 05:25:29 AM
In Defense of Global Capitalism

how does it defend sweatshops? i'm just curious.

It doesn't...and why would it?
It only defends free trade...and the fight against protectionist states.