Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Pas

Quote from: polkablues on January 27, 2010, 02:32:31 AM
She'll always be Carol Vessey Virginia Venit to me.

though I had to look up her last name on IMDB

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

damn.. i cannot watch that until it's actually on television now. this only applies to that exact clip/moment, though. keep leaking shit, everyone.

diggler

it's really just a disguised promo from ABC, so i didn't feel bad linking it. i can't believe we're only a few days away from the last Lost premiere ever.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

mogwai

So the last season will be "Home and away"?

Derek

Lost Season 6 & Complete Collection Blu-ray Dated
Posted January 30, 2010 04:48 AM by Juan Calonge

The sixth season of the TV phenomenon Lost doesn't even premiere until next Tuesday, and it already has a Blu-ray release date. TV Shows on DVD (citing information posted on Ingram Entertainment's VideoETA website) is reporting that, on August 24, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release both Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season and the mammoth Lost: The Complete Collection, with exclusive bonus content.

Special features for Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season include:
Original scripted content that goes deeper into some of the stories, exclusive to Blu-ray and DVD produced by Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse
Bloopers and deleted Scenes
Lost on Location - Go behind-the-scenes and get the stories from the set, on location in Hawaii from the actors and crew who make it happen.
Crafting a Final Season - Investigation into the goals and expectations of the season through interviews with writers, producers, cast, and crew
Audio commentaries
Lost University (BD-exclusive, powered by BD-Live)
Lost: The Complete Collection will include an additional bonus disc with at least two hours of extra exclusive content. 
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Lost creator on Juliet and why you won't guess what's next
Source: SciFi Wire

The creators of ABC's Lost have been tight-lipped about what to expect as the sixth and final season kicks off tonight, but we got co-creator Damon Lindelof to give us a few tiny spoilers.

Lindelof confirmed that he never intended to write Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell) out of the show just because she fell down a hole and blew up a bomb at the end of last season. But he had to sell her on returning for guest appearances after she signed to play the lead in ABC's other sci-fi series, V, he said last month in an interview in Pasadena, Calif.

"We can say that she is going to be on the show this season a couple of times," Lindelof said. "Obviously because of the success of V and because she shoots it in Canada, we've been a little bit limited in how much we can use her [Lost shoots in Hawaii]. But the good news is she's been amazing in letting us execute our version of the show with her, and that's something that we presented to her when we told her, 'Hey, you're falling into a hole and sustaining some rather significant injuries, and we've got some plans for you in the next season that will allow you to go and do another show, but we hope you continue to stay with us for a little bit.' She was awesome."

You'd think with all the fans guessing how Lost will end, someone has to be right. Sort of like an infinite number of monkeys typing: One of them's going to write Hamlet. Lindelof is not worried that anyone has stumbled onto his grand plan.

"My hope is that, certainly by the time we do the finale, plenty of people will be thinking about it, and they will feel enormously gratified that they guessed it right," Lindelof conceded. "I think that there are people who have certainly figured out significant pieces of what we want to do in the final season, but they did not have enough information yet. We withheld key evidence, so if you're trying to figure out who killed Professor Plum but we haven't shown you that the candlestick is even a potential murder weapon yet, you can't get it."

Five years and you still don't have all the pieces of the puzzle, but that's about to change. "Starting with the season premiere this year, the remaining clues necessary to figure out where we're going to end the show are going to begin falling into place," Lindelof said. "We've posited the questions. We just haven't given you enough information to figure out what the answers might be."

Look for our weekly recap of questions answered starting tomorrow!

Lost returns tonight at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Derek

Thought it got off to a slow start, but part II was great.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

picolas

SPOILERS.

flashback. flashforward. time travel.... what time-centric storytelling device is left?

alternate universes. how did i not think of that. BRILLIANT.

the bit where smoke talked about locke was pretty great. and locke and jack being friends. i love this device.

why the fuck is the island under water? and why was the music acting like we should have some idea???

Gamblour.

Thought this was great. Love how the show can keep me guessing. Hardly a snooze. Really loved the flashsideways reality.
WWPTAD?

modage

EW: The whole idea of flash-sideways and the plan to use season 6 to show us a world where Oceanic 815 never crashed — how long has that been in the works? Why did you want to do it?
DAMON LINDELOF: It's been in play for at least a couple of years. We knew that the ending of the time travel season was going to be an attempt to reboot. And as a result, we [knew] the audience was going to come out of the "do-over moment" thinking we were either going start over or just say it didn't work and continue on. [We thought] wouldn't it be great if we did both? That was the origin of the story.
CARLTON CUSE: We thought just doing one [of those options] would inherently not be satisfying. Since the very beginning of the show, characters started crossing through each other's stories. Part of our desire [in season 6] is to show that there's still this kind of weave, that these characters still would have impacted each other's lives even without the event of crashing on the Island. Obviously, the big question of the season is going to be: How do these [two timelines] reconcile? However, for the fans who have not watched the show closely, that's an intact narrative. You can just watch the flash sideways — they stand alone all by themselves. For the fans who are more deeply embedded in the show, you can watch those flash sideways, compare them to what transpired in the flashbacks and go, "Oh, that's an interesting difference."
LINDELOF: Right out of the gate, in the first five minutes of the premiere, you get hit over the head with two things that you're not expecting. The first is that Desmond is on the plane. The second thing that we do is we drop out of the plane and we go below the water and we see that the Island is submerged. What we're trying to do there is basically say to you, "God bless the survivors of Oceanic 815, because they're so self-centered, they thought the only effect [of detonating the bomb] was going to be that their plane never crashes." But they don't stop to think, "If we do this in 1977, what else is going to affected by this?" So that their entire lives can be changed radically. In fact, it would appear that they've sunken the Island. That's our way of saying, "Keep your eyes peeled for the differences that you're not expecting." Some of these characters were still in Australia, but some weren't. Shannon's not there. Boone actually says that he tried to get her back. There are all sorts of other people that we don't see. Where's Libby? Where's Ana Lucia? Where's Eko? These are all the things that you're supposed to be thinking about. When our characters posited the "What if?" scenario, they neglected to think about what the other effects of potentially changing time might be and we're embracing those things.

That said, are you saying definitively that detonating Jughead was the event that created this new timeline? Or is that a mystery which the season 6 story will reveal?
LINDELOF: It's a mystery. A big one.
CUSE: We did have some concern that it might be confusing kind of going into the season. To clear that up a little bit: The archetypes of the characters are the same and that's the most significant thing. Kate is still a fugitive. If you were to look at the Comic-Con video, for instance, that now comes into play. There was a different scenario in that story. She basically blew up an apprentice plumber as opposed to killing her biological father/stepfather. Those kind of differences exist, but who the characters fundamentally are is the same. If it becomes too confusing for you, you can just follow the flash sideways for what they are. It's not as though there's narrative that hangs on the fact that you need to know that this event was different in that world, in the flashback world versus the sideways world. That's not critical for being able to process the narrative this season.

Is there a relationship between Island reality and sideways reality? Will they run parallel for the remainder of the season? Will they fuse together? Might one fade away?
LINDELOF: For us, the big risk that we're taking in the final season of the show is basically this very question. [Lindelof then explains the show has replaced the trademark "whoosh!" sound effect marking the segue between Island present story and flashbacks or flash-forwards, thus calling conspicuous attention to the relationship between the Island world and the Sideways world.] This is the critical mystery of the season, which is, "What is the relationship between these two shows?" And we don't use the phrase "alternate reality," because to call one of them an "alternate reality" is to infer that one of them isn't real, or one of them is real and the other is the alternate to being real.
CUSE: But the questions you're asking are exactly the right questions. What are we to make of the fact that they're showing us two different timelines? Are they going to resolve? Are they going to connect? Are they going to co-exist in parallel fashion? Are they going to cross? Do they intersect? Does one prove to be viable and the other one not? I think those are all the kind of speculations that are the right speculations to be having at this point in the season.
LINDELOF: But it is going to require patience. We've taught the audience how to be patient thus far, so while they're getting a lot of mythological answers on the island early in the season, this idea of what is the relationship between the two [worlds] is a little bit more of a slow burn.

Did Jughead really sink the Island? And is it possible that the Sideways characters are now caught in a time loop in which they might have to go back in time and fulfill the obligation to continuity by detonating the bomb?
LINDELOF: These questions will be dealt with on the show. Should you infer that the detonation of Jughead is what sunk the island? Who knows? But there's the Foot. What do you get when you see that shot? It looks like New Otherton got built. These little clues [might help you] extrapolate when the Island may have sunk. Start to think about it. A couple of episodes down the road, some of the characters might even discuss it. We will say this: season 6 is not about time travel. It's about the implications, the aftermath, and the causality of trying to change the past. But the idea of continuing to do paradoxical storytelling is not what we're interested in this year.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

I was fairly shitfaced last night so I need to watch this again. But here's the thing - through much of season 4 and all of season 5 (which let's face it, pretty much sucked) I've found myself less invested because I don't feel like there are any real stakes anymore. I mean christ how many times has Sayid been shot? When your characters can be reborn and die and reborn again, a main character taking a bullet and another falling down a power station doesn't have the same shock and awe it once did.

I wouldn't label the alternate universe thing brilliant (not yet anyway) but it will be interesting to see how they merge these two worlds. One thing that's not interesting is the new others at the Temple. These motherfucks better not monopolize what - need I remind you - is the LAST. FUCKING. SEASON. I did not waste this many hours of life investing in a set of characters only to get to the end and have to get to know yet another set of fuckwits who do nothing but rob precious screen time away from the primary characters I actually do care about. It's too late to be doing this shit. It took me forever to come around to Faraday (and what happens when I finally do start to like him? They kill the son of a bitch) and I'm still trying to find room to care about Jacob but that's all I can manage. Seriously, no one else. I am out of empathy. These other others may quickly devolve into mere background fodder and this could all be a moot point, but I'm warning everyone now - I am not on board with this.

And another thing. What is going on with costumes and set-design and everything looking fake as shit. That temple felt like a ride at Disney World. And don't get me started on that underwater CGI sequence. Good god.

Can't wait for next week though!

Pas

I have a theory... the flashsideways thing is not really a flashsideway, it's still a flashback. This time to the mid-to-late nineties. I base this on the extreme shitiness of the CGI of the underwater sequence, it must have been to convey the feel of 1995 (especially the shark)

I didn't even finish the second episode, I'm done with Lost. Sorry, but all seasons after the first were just a major letdown. There were some genius episodes scaterred around, yes, but as a whole it is ruined.

This series would have been the best classic ever had it been made in the UK where they care about quality and not just $$$.

Edit: What I mean by that is 5-6 episodes seasons if there is only material for 5-6 episodes. Not the absolute cheapest set-designs, worst than TV shows made in Burkina Faso. Not episode made of 99% filler.

diggler

i DID think the temple looked a little too clean, the outer wall was always so ominous looking. loved seeing saul star as the interpreter. oh, and interestingly enough, he translated "your friend is dead" incorrectly. the leader guy actually said something more to the effect of "he's empty". (my japanese friends are finally coming in handy)

fake Locke's scene about the real John Locke was weird to watch, and genuinely heartbreaking. Jacob isn't all that interesting because i don't believe that to be the real body of jacob (just like Locke being the smoke monster). when hurley asked him "how did you die" i think his answer "i was killed by an old friend who grew tired of my company" or something like that. was referring to the body he was occupying, not himself.  just a thought.

i'm still on board, and the underwater sequence wasn't THAT bad. the sub going underwater in last years finale was much worse.

we'll see!
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty