DVD-9?!?!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, February 23, 2004, 02:06:07 AM

GodDamnImDaMan

So i found out today that the DVD-r's I buy are DVD-5's. Meaing they only contain about 4.7 gigs of memory on them. However there is a such thing out there as a DVD-9 disc. That carries 7.4 gig's just like a regular DVD disc. However I can not find one place to purchase them. Does anyone know where I can buy a DVD-9 disc? Also will a blank DVD-9 disc be able to burn in my DVD-RW drive like an ordinary DVD-r?
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

matt35mm

I believe those are just dual-layered discs.  I have no idea how to burn onto a dual-layer, though.  I don't even know if my burner is capable of burning onto a second layer.

But dual-layered discs would be what the movies you buy usually are on (thus the layer-switch and the relatively high bit rate).

Quote from: God Damn Im Da ManSo i found out today that the DVD-r's I buy are DVD-5's. Meaing they only contain about 4.7 gigs of memory on them. However there is a such thing out there as a DVD-9 disc. That carries 7.4 gig's just like a regular DVD disc. However I can not find one place to purchase them. Does anyone know where I can buy a DVD-9 disc? Also will a blank DVD-9 disc be able to burn in my DVD-RW drive like an ordinary DVD-r?

Its called dvd 9 because its 9.4gb...  Its dual sided...  Currently there isn't a dual layer on the market.. But sony will be releasing one this quarter which will be about 8.5gb.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

metroshane

My buddy works at DISC USA, a CD/DVD manufaturing plant, and there are about 5 different formats including multiple layers, multiple sides....there is even one that is multilayered but also read in a different manner.

He's the pro, not me...but these aren't available commercially.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.