Michael Mann

Started by MacGuffin, June 03, 2003, 09:37:53 AM

MacGuffin

Mann Wants Tom Cruise For Collateral

Variety reports the following:

Michael Mann will next direct the DreamWorks drama "Collateral," and he has Tom Cruise in his crosshairs to play the lead role of a contract killer.

Written by Stuart Beattie, with a rewrite by Frank Darabont, the script takes place on a single night. After a cabbie picks up a passenger, he and his car are taken hostage as a killer travels around Los Angeles to conduct his business. Mann has mined the visuals of L.A. streets for "Heat" and the TV series "Robbery Homicide Division."

Mann last directed "Ali," and he and Cruise have been trying to find a film in which they could work together. (Both are repped by CAA.) Filming will start in October.

Cruise doesn't have a deal yet, though one is expected. The actor has long expressed a desire to play a villain, and he may get his chance with the charismatic yet lethal passenger.

Cruise is coming off the Ed Zwick-directed "The Last Samurai" and will work in "Collateral" before starring in and producing "Mission: Impossible 3", to be directed by "Narc" helmer Joe Carnahan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

sweet. would love to see cruise play another badboy a la frank mackey.

what is the CAA btw?

tom cruise is the best actor ever.

Cecil

Quote from: ©bradtom cruise is the best actor ever.

well, i wouldnt go as far as to say that.....

i think his best role was in risky business

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradwhat is the CAA btw?

Creative Artists Agency
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: cecil b. demented

Do you mean that's his best he ever had? Like the part he was born to play?

My favourite performances would be Interview, Magnolia, Rainman and his best either film or performance (IMO) is EWS.

Victor

i heard mann was gonna do Miami Vice: The Movie. damn...but this thing sounds pretty on.

this info sounds like something that should be in The Grapevine, so instead i'll start a discussion --

Heat fucking rocks, though The Insider is better. Thoughts?
are you gonna eat with us too?

godardian

I really enjoyed Heat and The Insider. I remember Manhunter being pretty damn solid, too. I'd be there if he and Cruise made one together.

Mann seems to make good, old-fashioned, solid, mainstream entertainment that doesn't insult the audience, which is something you don't take for granted. He's not intellectual, but he's intelligent, and that works perfectly for what he does.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

Quote from: godardianI really enjoyed Heat and The Insider. I remember Manhunter being pretty damn solid, too.

Ali isn't an utter success in every way, but I do think it's pretty underrated.  The very weight of Ali himself as a mythological sports and media figure held the film down.  No one could've been big enough to fill those shoes—a black Brando, even.

Duck Sauce

A 80s Miami Vice movie would be too fucking perfect, but they might ruin it with cameos... anyway

This movie sounds fantastic, and Cbrad, Cruise IS the best actor ever

Cecil

Quote from: Fernando
Quote from: cecil b. demented

Do you mean that's his best he ever had? Like the part he was born to play?

My favourite performances would be Interview, Magnolia, Rainman and his best either film or performance (IMO) is EWS.

well the thing is that hes much better in all of the movies youve just mentioned, but when watching them all i can think is "man, tom cruise is actually pretty good in that. hes NOT just a pretty boy" so it kinda ruins it.

MacGuffin

Adam Sandler possibly to join Collateral
Source: Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Adam Sandler, who stepped out of his usual comedic mold to star in Paul Thomas Anderson's "Punch-Drunk Love" last year, appears to be eyeing another left turn in his choice of characters.

On Wednesday night, Sandler was scheduled to meet with filmmaker Michael Mann to discuss the possibility of starring opposite Tom Cruise in the director's "Collateral" for DreamWorks.

If he joins the project, Sandler would play Max, the meek cab driver who picks up a passenger (Cruise) who takes him hostage.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffinAdam Sandler possibly to join Collateral
Source: Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Adam Sandler, who stepped out of his usual comedic mold to star in Paul Thomas Anderson's "Punch-Drunk Love" last year, appears to be eyeing another left turn in his choice of characters.

On Wednesday night, Sandler was scheduled to meet with filmmaker Michael Mann to discuss the possibility of starring opposite Tom Cruise in the director's "Collateral" for DreamWorks.

If he joins the project, Sandler would play Max, the meek cab driver who picks up a passenger (Cruise) who takes him hostage.

That sounds great, I don't see a problem (IMO) for Sandler to sign, whether with Tom I wouldn't assure anything, this could be (or sounds like) a great chance for the type of role, it depends of the shooting dates of MI3, don't know if they already have one though.

godardian

It would be interesting to see Sandler do the most dramatic project of his life, or Mann doing the most comedic project of his life, depending on how this Collateral cookie crumbles...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

This sounds really great! It's the right kind of project for Sandler to flex his dramatic talents while not totally alientating most audiences (not that there's a problem with it, but I'd like to see him get more recognition from the public than Punch Drunk Love did).

I'm glad Mann isn't doing Miami Vice...he's really developed into a fantastic filmmaker, and I'm happy to see him moving on to new things. I've seen all of his films (except for the TV movies he did way back in the day), and from the Last Of The Mohicans onward they've been quite excellent (except for Ali, which was still pretty good for the most part). The Last Of The Mohicans and The Insider are probably his best, and show the two sides of his talent -- action/adventure and intense drama. Heat was a perfect merger between those two.

Has anyone else seen The Keep? That was interestingly lame.

Gold Trumpet

I trusted Sandler more when hearing how PDL was going to be and how PTA was still very much making an adam sandler film, but an art film. Now Adam Sandler much be someone else now and to get past all the feeling his look, way of talking and past history of films when seeing his face may be the toughest challenge and intrude on the work. He also may be regulated to some comedic work, or maybe, some part that rids him of his normal appearance to get by.

~rougerum