References in Kill Bill

Started by ShanghaiOrange, October 14, 2003, 07:46:40 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I kind of niticed that Fox Force 5 vibe going on...everyone having their specialties and what not.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pozer

Quote from: ewardand at the beginning of the blood spattered bride chapter, the radio plays a quick snippet of something that was played as a quick snippet in reservoir dogs, at the beginning of the torture scene.

yeah, yeah. that little "donde esta" snippet. I noticed that too. I love that shit! Don't you wanna make movies just so you could do little things like that? so cool.
this kinda really isn't a reference, but when we first see The Bride driving the Pussy Wagon in passadena -- before it's explained why she would be driving that truck -- this totally reminded me of when I first saw Pulp Fiction and we see Jules and Vincent go from their black suits in the apt. to shorts and t-shirts at the bar. remember that? it was like, why the hell are these guys in beach clothes all of a sudden, and then it's of course explained later.
I LOVE THAT SHIT!

pete

when gordon flew up to the second floor to fight uma--he flew up in a very similar way in jet li's "last hero in china" if I remember correctly.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

how bout the reservoir dogs shot when uma is in the hospital, and the rapist dude gets on top, and it pans to the left just as she is about to big his lip. oh yeah.

Gamblour.

Quote from: ©bradhow bout the reservoir dogs shot when uma is in the hospital, and the rapist dude gets on top, and it pans to the left just as she is about to big his lip. oh yeah.

Gosh I totally missed that one! It's weird, now it just seems so obvious, but I never would've noticed it before, heh.
WWPTAD?

godardian

The buildup/split-screen with Daryl Hannah is VERY Brian De Palma. As is much of the film. As is much of Tarantino. Cartoonish, sick, cheesy, "bad" (quotation marks intact)... and great.

Glieberman is the only one (besides myself) I've seen acknowledge the very specific de Palma moment mentioned above.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

edison

What do you think of the House of Blue Leaves being a sorta new version of Jackrabbit Slims? camera goes around place with music playing just like in PF, seems like he tried to one-up himself

ShanghaiOrange

The scene where Buck comes back into the hosipital room and sees the dead guy seems like it's out of any slasher film ever.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SHAFTR

when Vivica Fox shoots at Uma, the bullethole on the next shot.  Atleast I didn't see it....anti-pulp fiction?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

TheVoiceOfNick

The anime sequence's blood splatters very much reminded me of that old PSX game "Bushido Blade"

pete

the movie "lady snowblood" that was mentioned several times was baesd on a japanese manga titled "shuriyuki hime", they just had another adaptation of that film that's currently circulating in American indie theaters, the american name for the movie is "The Princess Blade."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mesh

Quote from: poser
this kinda really isn't a reference, but when we first see The Bride driving the Pussy Wagon in passadena -- before it's explained why she would be driving that truck -- this totally reminded me of when I first saw Pulp Fiction and we see Jules and Vincent go from their black suits in the apt. to shorts and t-shirts at the bar. remember that? it was like, why the hell are these guys in beach clothes all of a sudden, and then it's of course explained later.
I LOVE THAT SHIT!

Actually, I see The Pussy Wagon as a more specific riff on Pulp Fiction.  It's exactly like Zed's motorcycle: it's souped up, has a "personalized keychain," and was owned by a macho pervert before that pervert was vengefully slaughtered by the sword-wielding hero/heroine of the film (who subsequently makes the vehicle his/her own).

Another similar Pulp Fiction riff:  In both films, a comatose Uma Thurman is revived when she's penetrated by a sharp, syringe-like foreign object.  In PF, it's actually an adrenaline-filled syringe; in KB, it's a mosquito.

Ravi

Quote from: MeshActually, I see The Pussy Wagon as a more specific riff on Pulp Fiction.  It's exactly like Zed's motorcycle: it's souped up, has a "personalized keychain," and was owned by a macho pervert before that pervert was vengefully slaughtered by the sword-wielding hero/heroine of the film (who subsequently makes the vehicle his/her own)

In PF Bruce Willis finds the sword in the pawn shop, and in KB Uma takes the knife from Buck.

edison

Wonder if all these Pulp Fiction references are because he came up for the idea for this film during the making of, ta-da!!!!!.........PULP FICTION!!!!!!