References in Kill Bill

Started by ShanghaiOrange, October 14, 2003, 07:46:40 AM

JG

And "Bill" is of course a reference to this little-know gem:  http://imdb.com/title/tt0082075/

Pozer

cine

Quote from: Hedwig (deleted 1 minute later)another reference:
-Kill Bill Vol. 2 was directed by Quentin Tarantino, who also directed Kill Bill Vol. 1, which was directed by the same person who directed Pulp Fiction, which was directed by Quentin Tarantino, whose last name is an anagram of Tarnation, which was directed by Jonathan Caouette, who was recently at an event with Werner Herzog, who directed Grizzly Man, which wasn't nominated for a Best Documentary Oscar, unlike March of the Penguins, whose director walked onstage making penguin jokes, which was the same thing Roger Avery also did when he won for Pulp Fiction, which starred Uma Thuman, who was also the star of She's Gotta Have It, which was directed by Rob Reiner.

that's THE most obscure film-geek reference in the movie. now everyone listen to pozer. Bill is dead and so is this thread.

worst post EVER.  :bravo:

hedwig

Quote from: Cinephile on April 13, 2006, 01:17:37 AM
-Kill Bill Vol. 2 was directed by Quentin Tarantino, who also directed Kill Bill Vol. 1, which was directed by the same person who directed Pulp Fiction, which was directed by Quentin Tarantino, whose last name is an anagram of Tarnation, which was directed by Jonathan Caouette, who was recently at an event with Werner Herzog, who directed Grizzly Man, which wasn't nominated for a Best Documentary Oscar, unlike March of the Penguins, whose director walked onstage making penguin jokes, which was the same thing Roger Avery also did when he won for Pulp Fiction, which starred Uma Thuman, who was also the star of She's Gotta Have It, which was directed by Rob Reiner.

that's THE most obscure film-geek reference in the movie. now everyone listen to pozer. Bill is dead and so is this thread.

worst post EVER.  :bravo:

oh very funny.

GUYS I DIDNT ACTUALLY WRITE THAT, CINEPHILE'S TRYING TO BE FUNNY  :yabbse-thumbdown:

cine

Quote from: Hedwig on April 13, 2006, 01:25:15 AM
oh very funny.

GUYS I DIDNT ACTUALLY WRITE THAT, CINEPHILE'S TRYING TO BE FUNNY  :yabbse-thumbdown:

second worst post EVER.  :bravo:

hedwig

Quote from: Cinephile on April 13, 2006, 01:27:36 AM
:bravo:

you won't be applauding when i kill you in your sleep tonight   

Pozer

Bill is dead and so is this thread.
And that's a reference to QT's little rhyme lines.  ex: "My name's Paul and this shit's between ya'll."

Reel

Quote from: Pozer on April 13, 2006, 10:54:08 AM
And that's a reference to QT's little rhyme lines.  ex: "My name's Paul and this shit's between ya'll."

"My name's Pit, and your ass ain't talking your way out of this shit."

I was watching this Tobe Hooper movie last night called Eaten Alive and in the very first scene there's a close up of Robert Englund's zipper and he goes "My name's Buck, and I like to fuck" and then he proceeds to try and rape a girl. I knew Tarantino didn't come up with that on his own!

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

It's a good video. It should make people who like Tarantino and Kill Bill more impressed with the film.

jerome

Quote from: Reelist on February 05, 2011, 03:51:30 PM
One I thought of recently watching the Green Hornet (tv show) is if the crazy 88 masks are referencing that?

indeed. if i remember correctly, thurman's description of liu's boadyguard/main crazy 88 dude goes something like "the bald guy with the kato mask..."

Pubrick

they missed the biggest one:

the whole film is a reference to a steaming turd.
under the paving stones.

pete

I said this on GT's facebook page already - I think the film sometimes confuses genre conventions with homages to a single film. for example, all the sword stuff came from the chanbara, or samurai b-movies, as opposed to a kurosawa film. and I think QT, in an interview, said put some Goddard in there that was entirely missed, and the whole film is dedicated to Chang Cheh, as it said in the opening credits, but the guy did not pick up a single chang cheh reference.

I think he did a good job with the editing. that was fun. still he reminds me of a thing tarantino said at a Q&A - critics love to project.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

I don't know what it is, but I started watching the Everything is a remix series last week and it rubs me the wrong way.

I feel like it's a non-statement.  Everything has always borrowed from something else.  Art influences art.
Is he trying to call things like this out?  Is he expecting us to be surprised?  When Kill Bill first came out, most of these things were discussed to no end.  QT is pretty proud of this stuff.

I don't know... just seems like a pointless project... information that most people already know presented in a rather uninteresting way.