References in Kill Bill

Started by ShanghaiOrange, October 14, 2003, 07:46:40 AM

ShanghaiOrange

I noticed some! Did YOU?

- The samurai code VO and perhaps the RZA soundtrack are similar to Ghost Dog

- When O-Ren kills the yakuza boss in the anime sequence, she slides under the bed, shoots the henchman in the leg then in the head. That rhymes AND it was done in Miller's Crossing.

- The clip-art plane was the same one as in Jackie Brown
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

coffeebeetle

Apple ciggies ad in the airport (in that profile shot of her walking through the terminal--same brand that Vincent Vega smokes....)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

ono

Rather obvious, but The Bride telling Copperhead "that'd be kinda SQUARE."

coffeebeetle

Yesssss.....I was waiting for the dashed/animated square...I heard a couple of chuckles from the audience too, so that was great.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

MacGuffin

Go-Go's ball weapon is a variation on the guillotine in "Master Of The Flying Guillotine"

Daryl Hannah's character, Elle Driver, is based on the character from this film.

The DiVAS are based on the Fox Force Five reference in "Pulp Fiction".

Michael Parks also played the Ranger cop in "From Dusk Til Dawn".

The close-ups into the eyes when we hear the "Ironside" theme and go into a flashback is very Sergio Leone.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: coffeebeetleYesssss.....I was waiting for the dashed/animated square...I heard a couple of chuckles from the audience too, so that was great.

I laughed out loud, everybody looked at me.

edison

Quote from: MacGuffinMichael Parks also played the Ranger cop in "From Dusk Til Dawn".

I read somewhere that this is actually the same character and it also said that his son was the same character from the sequel

Quote from: MacGuffinThe close-ups into the eyes when we hear the "Ironside" theme and go into a flashback is very Sergio Leone.

This is probably my favorite moment in the film, well at least in the top 5 or so.

Heres some more:

The Kato masks from Green Hornet
The yellow jumpsuit from "Game of Death"

Myxo

- The mass gore in the anime sequence is pretty similar to lots of stuff but the Kenshin films stand out. Samurai X.

- I love the Lucy beheading and the subsequent blood spray as his head falls off. Nothing like taking a total anime shot and carrying it over into an actual SE shot for a film.

- That table also reminded me a lot of the first Batman movie where the Joker goes a little crazy.

bonanzataz

anybody see the billboard reading "Go! Go!" when uma's on the plane?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Alethia

michael bowen was in jackie brown.  and at the beginning of the blood spattered bride chapter, the radio plays a quick snippet of something that was played as a quick snippet in reservoir dogs, at the beginning of the torture scene.

pete

hattori hanzo was an actual guy, leader of a ninja clan back in the 1500s.  He's been in a couple of shows and movies and videogames--but by no coincidence Sonny Chiba played Hattori Hanzo in an old 70s/ 80s tv show.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: EEz28
The Kato masks from Green Hornet
The yellow jumpsuit from "Game of Death"

Isn't that the Green Hornet music we hear on the plane?

I found the slo-mo walk of Lucy Liu and her men to be reminiscent of Reservoir Dogs.  Did City on Fire have such a shot?

It would be cool if the DVD had a subtitle track that pointed out all the refs.

pete

nope the guys in city on fire never walked together like that.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

i'm not sure if its the lines or the delivery but lucy liu's

"if any of you sunsabitches got anything else to say, nows the fucking time!"

reminds me of "if any of you fucking pigs move, i'll execute every motherfucking last one of you!"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

Quote from: RaviIsn't that the Green Hornet music we hear on the plane?

Yes it is