McG

Started by NEON MERCURY, September 21, 2003, 09:07:53 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenfuck, I can't take it anymore..... who is McG????????

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

::valley girl::

" Like oh my gosh..what is he like thinking wearing a like um  lika a blue jean jacket??..lika um hello Mr McG, its 2003 like not 1983...whatever!"

... :arrow: doesn't he look like uncle cracker???

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02it was just "pure cinema" with the images and sounds and such.  i was like, ummm... okay.

I would never call it pure cinema, but its entirely surface nature is why I enjoyed it so much. It seemed to have no other purpose other than to be nonsensical eye candy, and in that regard, I felt that it delivered 100%. I loved how random it felt. The first movie felt slightly too attached to its plot, whereas this one just abandoned all concept of narrative. In extreme, over the top cases like this, I can applaud that.

That said, I hated Demi Moore and was bored with Bernie Mac. You can't top Rockwell and Murray.

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyI hated Demi Moore and was bored with Bernie Mac. You can't top Rockwell and Murray.

Yea, I didn't like the idea of Demi Moore being in it from the beginning...agreed, she sucked. I thought Bernie Mac was pretty funny though. Not as good as Murray, true...but not bad at all. None of the villains came close to Rockwell, definitely agree with you there. And then John Cleese was just wasted. But I still really loved the movie overall, even with its flaws.

MacGuffin

Director McG Talks Superman Status
Source: Coming Soon!

During a press conference for the upcoming Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle DVD, director McG gave an update on the new Superman movie in development at Warner Bros.

"I'm a big fan of 'Superman,' and you know, I'm discussing it with Warner Brothers, but it's still very uncertain," he said. "It's a big project and they're being very cautious, and I'm being very cautious and it's yet to be seen if it's in the cards."

McG also addressed the issue of why Superman has had so many false starts. "I think they want to be very respectful of the crown jewel of, you know, all their franchises," he added about the studio. "It's a great character. And I think everybody who would ever be a part of that type of picture wants to get it done properly. So I don't think they're in any rush to make that picture, and I think their focus is on doing it right."

Asked what he will be working on next, McG said, "Well I mean I'm circling a couple pictures, and I'm very much considering directing live theater, because I want to improve as a director and become a better and better storyteller, and I'm thinking about going to London to direct theater."

"No matter what I do I promise you that the next project will have a very, very purposeful photographic palette".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Director McG is Daring to Adapt Evel Knievel
Source: Variety

Director McG is attached to Universal Pictures' Evel Knievel biopic, Pure Evel, based on the daring, devilish icon of the 1970s. Screenwriter Andrew Walker (Seven) will write a new draft of the script.

Knievel, McG said, was one of the characters he fantasized about in his "Walter Mitty childhood." He and Walker plan to visit Knievel, who is recuperating from back surgery in Clearwater, Fla., and interview him for the film.

The film will focus on a narrow slice of Knievel's life, tracking the stuntman's rise to fame as he jumped everything from buses to a canyon, thrilling audiences when he landed safely -- or crashed and broke nearly every bone in his body. McG envisions ending at Knievel's much-hyped, failed rocket jump across the Snake River Canyon.

McG is at work on a Hot Wheels film for Columbia. He's also been working with Warner Brothers on a Superman project.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin

McG is at work on a Hot Wheels film for Columbia..

ahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahha......this has to be made it will be so bad its funny...........what woul dbe cool if he did pseudo-guerilla and have peoples hands holding the hot wheels in place and racing them like kids do....complete w/ sound effects from their mouths.....

grand theft sparrow

I'm sorry.  I just can't believe that there's really a McG forum.

That's all.

ono

Quote from: hacksparrowI'm sorry.  I just can't believe that there's really a McG forum.

That's all.
There's not.  But there is a McG thread.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: hacksparrowI'm sorry.  I just can't believe that there's really a McG forum.

That's all.
There's not.  But there is a McG thread.

Picky, picky.  :?

modage

McG & Glenn Team Up for McCabe
Source: Variety August 31, 2005

McG has teamed with up-and-coming screenwriter John Glenn to develop a contemporary Dirty Harry story for the Fox channel, reports Variety.

Fox has made a script commitment with a sizable penalty for the project, which was pitched with the working title McCabe. The project would follow the story of a school teacher who becomes a cop to pursue justice and find his wife's killer.

Glenn will write and executive produce the project, along with McG. McCabe would be produced through McG's Wonderland Sound & Vision and Warner Bros. TV, where it's based.

i do give him props for the dirty harry story and not remake.  ripping off ideas loosely without due credit is ALWAYS the way to go.  most remakes are so different/updated from the originals anyway, if they weren't so greedy with the 'brand name'...  literally, do you think if they'd changed the characters names in Bewitched and made it about a fictional show "Witchypoo" anyone would've thought it had anything to do with that show?  hardly.  or if Alfie had some other name?  c'mon, we could TOTALLY get rid of a buncha remakes if they just learned to steal ideas better.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Phew...at first I thought he was going to remake McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

MacGuffin

McConaughey Joins Huddle
Helmer McG will direct Matthew McConaughey in a real-life gridiron story surrounding a tragedy at Marshall College.

McG is getting back into the feature film business after three years. His last film was Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, which may or may not have been the reason for his hiatus, but that's another story.

The Hollywood Reporter indicates McG has signed on with Warner Bros. to make a film about a true incident that rocked the Marshall College football team in the 1970s. Matthew McConaughey will star in the as-yet untitled film that details the events that took place when most of the members of the Marshall College squad, its coaching staff, commentators and local boosters were killed in a plane crash, Coach Jack Lengyel, to be played by McConaughey, and the surviving players rebuilt the team.

The movie, to be produced by Thunder Road and McG's Wonderland Sound and Vision, will be shot mostly in West Virginia, some of it on the Marshall College campus and football field.

McG says he's been "looking to expand my horizons as a storyteller." He's been expanding his resume since Full Throttle by working as an executive producer on The O.C. and Supernatural.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

McG on Charlie's Angels 3
Will the director return for another go-round?

Director McG has had a rough time getting new film projects off the ground since directing Charlie's Angels in 2000 and the sequel, Full Throttle, in 2003. The director was at one point pegged to helm Superman, but that film fell through the hands of a host of directors before Bryan Singer took it on.

McG is currently hard at work on his most serious project to date, entitled We Are Marshall, which is currently filming in Atlanta. The film tells the tale of Marshall University's football program in the aftermath of a devastating plane crash that killed 75 in 1970.

Now that McG has had a taste of dramatic filmmaking, he says that his days of directing bombastic action flicks are over... At least for now.

"There's no more sequels in my future," says McG.

Tired of being labeled as another stereotypical music video director with the trademark one word name and knack for crafting spectacular action but little substance, McG has decided to take his career in a new direction.

"I'm not trying to shut it down and go, 'That's it, I'm only making Merchant Ivory pictures for the rest of my life.' But I definitely didn't take this picture just to go back to dreck, there's no way. I'm only interested in telling dramatic, serious stories."

Although the Charlie's Angels series may go on, McG says that he will not be involved outside of possibly producing. "Maybe, I don't know, not for me; maybe Drew (Barrymore) and I would produce it. It would be three different girls, with a different director, that's what I say."

Skeleton FilmWorks