Mew

Started by Sigur Rós, May 28, 2003, 12:52:46 PM

phil marlowe

:?  that someone has this album as their favorite ever...confuses me.

GoneSavage

That someone seemingly likened Mogwai with Coldplay...confuses me.

From the official website www.mewsite.com:

Dear Frengers,

Mew are hard at work on their new album - being produced by Michael Beinhorn. The album is currently under the working title of 'Saviors Of Jazzballet' and will be released towards the end of the year. Keep watching the journal for updates direct from the studio.
context, context, context.

ElPandaRoyal

I caught their concert last year at the Paredes de Coura music festival and I really love their sound.

HOWEVER, there was a thing that really annoyed me. "Conforting Sounds" is the theme for a portuguese cell phone company and (what a coincidence) that company was the main sponsor of that festival. As a result, after every concert (I mean EVERY CONCERT) that theme would play while their ad was going on on the big screens. Well, Mew chose to close their act with "Conforting Sounds", so right after the music and the concert finished, we started earing the exact same theme from the sponsors... That was starting to get a bit irritating.
Si

mogwai

mew "and the glass handed kites"

to quote liam gallagher: "this is fooking brilliant, guv". this is a great follow up to "frengers". it has a less of a polished sound that the other album suffered of. i realized this of the first listening when i was a little disappointed. but after listening to it after a couple of times i really liked it. there's fourteen tracks but that doesn't mean the album is 70 minutes long. there's a couple of short tracks and they remind me of the short ones on mogwai's "rock action". they work perfect.

yeah, this is my favorite album of the  year. it's more 'complex' than frengers, more hard to digest at first .  a friend of mine says that the entire album sounds like an old fashioned revolution. we both got the japanese edition with the bonus tracks, which are nice but nothing special, just jonas singing in a japanese version of white lips kissed that sounds like the end credits song of an anime.
i was very dissapointed at first, i thought it was all technical and most of the songs sounded like their b-sides ,which aren't very good. but mew is like the only band that sounds exactly like winter, and i respect them a lot.    and the songs with j mascis are cool too. the only thing that sort of bothers me with mew is how the guys look and do their videos. i think it's better to completely alienate  their music from their looks.
context, context, context.

mogwai

Quote from: cronopiothe only thing that sort of bothers me with mew is how the guys look and do their videos. i think it's better to completely alienate  their music from their looks.
i think they all should cut their hairs so they don't come off as a bon jovi cover band.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: cronopiothe only thing that sort of bothers me with mew is how the guys look and do their videos. i think it's better to completely alienate  their music from their looks.
i think they all should cut their hairs so they don't come off as a bon jovi cover band.

amen....whats wrong with the way they look???

mogwai

Quote from: sigurrós

amen....whats wrong with the way they look???
c'mon, look at them! it's not right. what it is with all of you oil waxed danish men?

Sigur Rós

c'mon, look at them! it's not right. what it is with all of you oil waxed danish men?

We are just good looking...nothing wrong with that.

Jeremy Blackman

Mew has two songs from their forthcoming album up on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/mew-official

They're lovely songs. But it's kind of like they've regressed back to 2006's "And the Glass Handed Kites"... which is good, but not good enough.

But, considering "No More Stories" is probably my favorite album, I have unreasonably high expectations.

mogwai

Stand out tracks on the new album to me is: "Water Slides", "Interview the girls" and "Rows". The new album sounds like a return to the first two albums. Possibly because the bass player who left after the second album came back.

Jeremy Blackman

I saw Mew last night!

In a very, very small venue. The whole thing was so bizarre. Their sound gets very big, and the acoustics couldn't quite accommodate it at times. They clearly belong in a stadium or at least a larger space.

Nevertheless, they were elated at the turnout. Apparently they played this venue on their last tour and it did not sell out. "You must have told your friends!" Jonas said. The band was so excited and committed. They were also completely humble when they had no right to be. Definitely the classiest band I've ever seen perform.

At one point, Jonas stepped down into the audience, put his arm around a fan (gave him a side hug, really) and let him sing the chorus of The Zookeeper's Boy. Meanwhile Jonas was all smiles. He was like this magical serene creature on stage. A funny contrast to Johan, who was rocking out the whole time. A truly strange dynamic, but they totally make it work.

Absolutely flawless vocal performance from top to bottom, by the way, which I did not expect. (There's something about cell phone concert videos that does not capture the pitch accurately.) The band was also perfect. Studio-caliber performances, but better, because of the heart and energy they poured into it. They're real pros.

They played many of my favorites. Introducing Palace Players, Making Friends, and Special/Zookeeper were definite highlights. However, they chose two of the weakest tracks from their new album. And their setlist was at least 1/3 early material. Judging by audience reaction, it seems like they need to please people with the old favorites. I'm a new school Mew fan, so I was hoping for a lot more from No More Stories. (Really I'd just like to see them perform that album.) Still, there were great performances of some of their best early songs, including Am I Wry? No and Snow Brigade. And this has inspired me to seriously revisit their early stuff. They ended with Comforting Sounds (a solid choice), then took a bow.

I recommend these btw. I took them out during the 2 or 3 quiet songs; otherwise they actually improved the sound clarity. You can sort of take them further in/out like turning an equalizer knob.

Jeremy Blackman

New album in two weeks.

Some of their new songs:

Jeremy Blackman