In Search of Ted Demme

Started by boombanglarrabee, December 27, 2003, 11:57:30 PM

boombanglarrabee

The Independent Film Channel is producing a tribute film called "In Search of Ted Demme."  The movie will have a very small limited run on the film festival circuit in 2004 and then air on IFC (The Independent Film Channel). The tribute will also be released on DVD some time in 2004.  Contributors include Paul Thomas Anderson, Jerry Bruckheimer, Don Cheadle, Mike De Luca, Dr Dre, Ed Lover, Bernie Mac, Jon Favreau, Forest Whitaker, Courtney Cox, Chris Kattan and Gina Gershon.

©brad

Quote from: boombanglarrabeePaul Thomas Anderson, Jerry Bruckheimer, Don Cheadle, Mike De Luca, Dr Dre, Ed Lover, Bernie Mac, Jon Favreau, Forest Whitaker, Courtney Cox, Chris Kattan and Gina Gershon.

what a bizarre grouping of ppl.

i'm in.

Stefen

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: boombanglarrabeePaul Thomas Anderson, Jerry Bruckheimer, Don Cheadle, Mike De Luca, Dr Dre, Ed Lover, Bernie Mac, Jon Favreau, Forest Whitaker, Courtney Cox, Chris Kattan and Gina Gershon.

what a bizarre grouping of ppl.

i'm in.

Bizarre indeed. Definetely piques my interest.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Well you guys DO have an idea as to why PTA's on the list, right?

Stefen

Quote from: CinephileWell you guys DO have an idea as to why PTA's on the list, right?

I have no clue. I remember reading that PTA was doing something on Demmes decade under the influence, but ive seen that and didn't notice PTA in the credits or anything. Doesn't PTA give a special thanks to Demme in the PDL credits?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

IFC in 'Search' of new tribute to helmer Demme

NEW YORK -- The Independent Film Channel has begun production on a tribute to late director Ted Demme. Scheduled for release late next year, "In Search of Ted Demme" will feature a cavalcade of actors remembering the filmmaker, who died in January 2002 after amassing credits that include "Blow" and "The Ref." The film will be executive produced by Richard LaGravenese, who directed "A Decade Under the Influence" with Demme, as well as Denis Leary and Jim Serpico of Apostle Pictures, together with Demme's wife, Amanda Scheer-Demme. Leary will be joined onscreen by people who worked with Demme, including Kevin Spacey, Johnny Depp, Ellen DeGeneres, Jerry Bruckheimer and Joel Silver. "Search" will be told with the same kind of offbeat humor Demme was known for, said IFC director of original programming Alison Bourke, who also will executive produce the project with Ed Carroll, the network's executive vp and general manager. John Walter will direct "Search"; Jerry Kupfer of K2 Pictures produces.

More info here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: StefenI remember reading that PTA was doing something on Demmes decade under the influence, but ive seen that and didn't notice PTA in the credits or anything.
Well PTA feels that Jonathan Demme is HUGE influence on him and I figure Ted was just a good friend of his through Demme and respected his work as a filmmaker.

Stefen

I personally never loved any of Ted Demmes movies. And in my opinion there are alot better filmmakers dead and mostly alive who are more deserving of a doc of this sort. PTA, Wes Anderson, Gilliam all come to mind.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Hey, was not Punch-Drunk Love for Teddy???

Ernie

Wow, this is really cool of them to do, I was wondering if there was going ever going to be any sort of tribute to the man, he seemed like a pretty cool guy and I always thought he was a good filmmaker -- "The Ref" and "Blow" can be seen as plain and simple good movies by myself and others which is pretty comforting imo -- so he's more than entitled to at least a little something. Glad to see it looks like they're going to be doing it right and truthfully....not just some bullshit half hour dvd spec or something with a slow motion photo montage with "I Will Remember You" playing in the background. He never got the opportunity to be a great filmmaker as he might have been destined to be and that's a shame, but I really do love the two films I mentioned as well as "A Decade Under the Influence" which I think is something pretty special, and although it certainly was not Ted's only dream project, it's  definitely a nice way to end such a short career if there ever was one I think....better to end off with a  passionate, moving tribute to one of the golden ages of cinema rather than with some lame box office flop or something.

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionHey, was not Punch-Drunk Love for Teddy???

Yea yea yea, I think it was....I think it was worded as "for TD" or something in the credits actually, I totally forgot about that. That's good to hear, thanks for reminding me. I'll look for that next time I watch it.

cine

Quote from: StefenAnd in my opinion there are alot better filmmakers dead and mostly alive who are more deserving of a doc of this sort. PTA, Wes Anderson, Gilliam all come to mind.
That was pretty harsh and I think PTA, Wes Anderson, and Terry Gilliam would agree with me.

Stefen

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: StefenAnd in my opinion there are alot better filmmakers dead and mostly alive who are more deserving of a doc of this sort. PTA, Wes Anderson, Gilliam all come to mind.
That was pretty harsh and I think PTA, Wes Anderson, and Terry Gilliam would agree with me.

How so? Because hes dead im supposed to like whos da man and blow? I'd be much more interested in seeing a doc on all the filmmakers who would agree with you.

cine

Dozens upon dozens of people are paying tribute to him since he died so tragically young, and when you're saying that there's "alot better filmmakers dead and mostly alive who are more deserving of a doc of this sort" its a low blow to all those working on the project. For that, I call it harsh.

Stefen

Quote from: CinephileDozens upon dozens of people are paying tribute to him since he died so tragically young, and when you're saying that there's "alot better filmmakers dead and mostly alive who are more deserving of a doc of this sort" its a low blow to all those working on the project. For that, I call it harsh.

Thats a fair argument Cinephile. And maybe I worded my original statement wrong. But the fact remains that I would rather see a doc on filmmakers that "I" enjoy more. Regardless I'll still be searching this Demme doc out and will watch it, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to post in this thread.

cine