serious fanalysis of The Master so far (CANON ONLY.. no script/spoiler talk)

Started by Pubrick, June 19, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

polkablues

Plus, Paul has three children. Children are KNOWN MUPPET-LOVERS.
My house, my rules, my coffee

InTylerWeTrust

Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

BB

Reel

polkablues

Quote from: BB on August 12, 2012, 11:14:56 PM
Okay, ITWT, I think we can all agree this one's a bit of a stretch.

But with some subtle brightness and contrast adjustments...

Jeremy Blackman

This is pretty much my favorite thread ever at this point in time.

BB

I stand corrected.

Quote from: Reelist on August 12, 2012, 11:22:33 PM
so was your reposting of it....of the page

Yes it was. I apologize. I'm bad at this.

Robyn

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 13, 2012, 12:34:50 AM
This is pretty much my favorite thread ever at this point in time.

Yeah, these last posts is pretty much the best posts i've ever seen on Xixax.

InTylerWeTrust

InTylerWeTrust

Couple more references... (serious ones)...

- Hal Ashby's "THE LAST DETAIL"... Jack Nicholson (yes, him, again) plays a navy man with an alcohol problem and a short temper.

and

- William Wyler's "THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES" ... I haven't seen it yet, but someone mentioned that the department store Phoenix's character works in, "looks exactly like the department store in 'the best years of our lives'". Tonight I'll watch it and see for myself.

As I've said before it seems like Phoenix's character is drawing heavily from 70's Jack Nicholson. I love that because if there's anyone that can pull off a "Jack Nicholson style craziness" it is Joaquin. Also, on another note, Hoffman's character seems to be channeling Orson Welles... More on this later.

BTW....

My source: IMDB "The Master" boards. Some people were discussing movies that may have inspired PTA. That's where I got this information from.

I take ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT for these finds. Ya hear that, Pubrick? ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT. All credit goes to to the over-analytical douchebag IMDB users whose names I don't give enough of a shit to mention.  :yabbse-smiley:

BB

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 13, 2012, 01:49:05 PM
- William Wyler's "THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES" ... I haven't seen it yet, but someone mentioned that the department store Phoenix's character works in, "looks exactly like the department store in 'the best years of our lives'". Tonight I'll watch it and see for myself.

I've seen it a few times. I have no doubts that it will have had some influence on The Master (soldiers return from WW2, one turns to alcohol). Maybe just THAT a character works in a department store. But the department store in TBYOOL is so non-descript, I don't know how anybody could spot similarities to it in a few stills and clips from a trailer.

Pubrick

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 13, 2012, 01:49:05 PM
BTW....

My source: IMDB "The Master" boards. Some people were discussing movies that may have inspired PTA. That's where I got this information from.

I take ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT for these finds. Ya hear that, Pubrick? ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT. All credit goes to to the over-analytical douchebag IMDB users whose names I don't give enough of a shit to mention.  :yabbse-smiley:

For anyone wondering why Tyler just went on this little tirade I'll have to add some context.. I asked Tyler to cite his sources as it became apparent he was claiming to "discover" things he hadn't actually discovered himself.

Tyler the reason i asked you to cite your source is.. Why not? If the people on imdb making these discoveries are such "over analytical douchebags" not worth giving a shit about then why are you stealing their insights and claiming them as your own? Are you trying to be the "over analytical douchebag" of xixax?

I've got nothing against you personally, I can understand you were just trying to impress the grown ups, it's a stage we all go through in our pathetic teenage years. But don't you see that these people posting on imdb and other places, who are offering their insights to an unappreciative crowd, are exactly the kind of film folk we need around here. As I said, you're obviously trying to emulate them.

Just settle down, try not to throw a fit, and recognize that there's more to life than taking credit for other people's work.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

This thread's a total buzzkill now.  Let's go make fun of grammatical errors on the Playlist instead.

InTylerWeTrust