SPUN

Started by Victor, March 16, 2003, 05:55:40 PM

Victor

i saw this thing yesterday. holy fuck.

its nuts, its fucking nuts, man. its a total trip, i came out of the theatre in a state...a state much different than the one i went in with. its not for everyone, because its true, there aint a whole lot of story or character development, but god damn. its the best drug movie ive ever seen, theres so much energy and insanity going on and oh christ. i have to give the actors so much credit, they have not one ounce of shame about their characters, the way they behave and look (extremely fucked-up).

Im not a big fan of music video directors for the most part, but Jonas's style fits perfectly here. This movie is just plain crayzee, see it in theatres i beg you.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Sleuth

Better than REQUIEM FOR A DREAM?
I like to hug dogs

Ernie

Wow, next to All the Real Girls...this is definitely my most anticipated film right now. It looks so fun and wild. Britanny Murphy is so cute and Schwartzman is just fucking awesome. I saw the first 8 minutes over at IFILM and laughed for at least 7 of them straight...I really have my hopes up just going by those first 8 minutes. I hope the film lives up to what I want it to be.

It should be coming to my town next month...hopefully.

Victor

Quote from: tremoloslothBetter than REQUIEM FOR A DREAM?

i think theyre two different things. requiem is a movie about addiction, in many forms, a downward spiral, this is a movie about a group of people who do crystal meth, its just a crazy mishmash, its kind of a ride. its definitely more fun than requiem, i would rather watch this on repeat viewings than i would requiem. requiem though, is defintely more powerful, has more of a story, more affecting. i dont know, its probably too early to tell. theres a special, dark little hole in my spirit reserved for requiem, so its hard to compare. both movies are very original, even if spun uses the eye effect once or twice (xept the pupil goes in).

ill tell you this though. as far as meth movies go, this kicks the living fuck out of 'salton sea'.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Gold Trumpet

Uh oh. The Big Lewbowski may have competition in appeal on the cult level of druggie love movies. *rolls eyes* Who gives a fuck.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

Ebert and Roeper also compared it to Requiem for a Dream and Salton Sea........ Share your comparisons here at Xixax.com!

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetUh oh. The Big Lewbowski may have competition in appeal on the cult level of druggie love movies. *rolls eyes* Who gives a fuck.

~rougerum
it's funny, cos u don't know what ur talking about.

Big Lebowski a drug love movie? *rolls eyes* every lazy man loves it. from David Byrne to the bum in Can I Bum A Cigarette.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetUh oh. The Big Lewbowski may have competition in appeal on the cult level of druggie love movies. *rolls eyes* Who gives a fuck.

Are you really willing to dismiss an entire genre? I scoff in your general direction.

RegularKarate

I haven't seen this and I plan to, however everyone I spoke to who saw it at SXSW said it tried to be kind of like Requiem and it basically had it's moments, but overall sucked.

Anyway, I'll see it, but I'm not as excited as I was before.

And Big Lebowski a drug movie?  Have you even seen it?

Satcho9

Lebowski is a romantic comedy before its a fucking drug movie. Drug movie it is not my friend.

cowboykurtis

how did you not got bored after the first 10 minutes of SPUN. it started out great with a lot of energy but Nothing changed. Every sequence was exactly the same -- the repetition got horribly boring to me. However, Micky Rourke is a bad ass.
...your excuses are your own...

Gold Trumpet

Sorry, been a while since seeing it. Only thing that really stayed with me was drug references. It is still a movie that appeals on a cult level and not for criticism at all. Spun appears to be this too. When I saw the movie, I was bored within 10 seconds and squirming in pain after a minute.

~rougerum

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOnly thing that really stayed with me was drug references. It is still a movie that appeals on a cult level and not for criticism at all.
whatever. he's drunk most of the time, and alcohol is no far out 'drug'.

u can be so wrong sumtimes, it's scary.
under the paving stones.

budgie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIt is still a movie that appeals on a cult level and not for criticism at all.

Please, a) define a cult movie, then b) list the subject matter that makes a movie worthy of 'criticism'

Apologies to everyone who squirms in pain, but it's like a big crusty scab.

Pubrick

Quote from: budgieApologies to everyone who squirms in pain, but it's like a big crusty scab.

Please, a) do me, then b) send me a pic of urself.

it's the only way i'll get through another essay. which i've thus far avidly followed
under the paving stones.