Monster's Ball?

Started by Xeditor, February 02, 2003, 09:43:27 PM

Xeditor

I'm thinking about buying Monster's Ball on DVD and i've never seen it. I heard it was named the top film of 02.  Just wondering if thats tru.
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Ghostboy

It's a really beautiful film. I loved it without measure when I first saw it, but subsequent viewings revealed various flaws. Still, it's a very good film, and Halle Berry DID deserve her Oscar, even though she seems to be negating it with all the roles she's choosing now.

But hold off on buying the DVD -- Lion's Gate is releasing a new unrated version of it with more extras in the next month or so.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: XeditorI'm thinking about buying Monster's Ball on DVD and i've never seen it. I heard it was named the top film of 02.  Just wondering if thats tru.

Who named it top film of 02?

I know Ebert ranked it #1 but your question is pretty general. I thought the movie was very well done and Halle did deserve the Oscar no matter how much I hate to admit it.

life_boy

Great film.  I'd hold off on buying it until this 'new' edition comes out.  The bastards!  They should've given this to us the first time.

Xixax

I enjoyed it a lot. If you're a collector of DVD's and just like to have a decent library, you won't be disappointed with owning this one.

I have no clue why they would want to release an unrated version of it, though. I thought some of the sex that was already in it was pretty gratuitous anyway. You could have easily moved the story along just as well without so much graphic displaying of the in-out. I think it would have been every bit as good with the sex scenes either drastically cut, or removed altogether.

But other than that, it was a great movie. I'd recommend it.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Xeditor

Thanks.  I'll wait till the new version comes out to get it.
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

joke08

I would really rent it first, because I thought this movie was totally overrated. The performances were good, but I thought that it tried to hard to make all these lives come together. It tried to do something that had been done hundreds of times before and done better.
AND I didn't have much sympathy for Billy Bob's character in the end. He had already ruined it for me.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)

SHAFTR

I have a question about this film...

The sex scene with Halle & Bob...there are nondiagetic inserts of someone trying to catch a bird inside a birdcage...

i'm missing the metaphor...what does it mean?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSUVWXYZ

it means you're hearing when your'e supposed to be seeing

SHAFTR

I wasn't asking what nondiagetic means...

I'm talking about the nondiagetic visual of the birdcage..what does that mean?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSUVWXYZ

Quote from: SHAFTRI wasn't asking what nondiagetic means...

I'm talking about the nondiagetic visual of the birdcage..what does that mean?

My point was, I have a hard time hearing anything when the visual stimulation has my blood pumping

But since you brought it up, what is the definition of nondiagetic?

SHAFTR

nondiagetic means outside the space of the narrative.