Avengers: Age of Ultron

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2012, 05:21:11 PM

MacGuffin

Joss Whedon to Write and Direct 'Avengers 2'
Disney has announced that the helmer will return for the sequel.
Source: THR

Joss Whedon will return to the Marvel Studios fold for a sequel to The Avengers. Whedon will also create a Marvel-related TV series for ABC.

Walt Disney Co. CEO Robert Iger revealed the plans during an earnings call Tuesday, in which he boasted about Avengers being the third biggest movie of all time, and that Disney has initiatives in the works to "leverage the power of the Avengers" across the entire company.

That Marvel was planning a sequel to the $1.46 billion-grossing movie was not a surprise, but having Whedon back behind the camera will definitely make execs breathe easier.
Whedon was one of the key components to the success of the movie, with his deft screenwriting and knowledge of the superhero characters frequently cited for the high marks the movie got from critics and fans alike.

Having him shepherd Marvel's foray into television is also an interesting move. Whedon is best known for creating Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off Angel, as well as the short-lived sci-fi-themed show Firefly. While his ratings track records is mixed, he has a proven knack of creating shows that inspire passionate followings. 

His double duties on the film and TV sides may be a hint that Marvel could be creating not only multiple movies but an even broader universe that also includes the small screen. 

ABC is still developing a potential Hulk series with Guillermo Del Toro attached. "It wasn't going to be ready this season but we hope it's going to be ready for next season," ABC entertainment president Paul Lee said in May. 

Any show to reach the air would be the first Marvel-oriented show since Blade, the short-lived vampire show that air on Spike TV in 2006 and was a small-screen version of the New Line action horror movies. 
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Joss Whedon Confirms Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch to Appear in 'Avengers 2′
The two made frequent appearances in 'Avenger' storylines over the years
Source: Variety

Joss Whedon always loves the opportunity to give the Marvel fanbase something to get excited about and it looks like he has given them two things to look forward to in the next installment of "Avengers 2."

In an interview with IGN, Whedon confirmed the rumor that Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, two popular characters from the Marvel Universe, will be appearing in the sequel.

In the comics, the two were siblings that first appeared in the "X-Men" comics in 1964 and have made appearances in "Avenger" story lines over the years.

Fans were already excited to see at the end of the first film that Thanos would be the main villain in the next pic and this should only get them more excited.

Whedon's next task is who should play them and that question should be answered soon. So who do you think would make a good Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

James Spader to Play Villain in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
The "Blacklist" star will join the superhero team-up sequel.
Source: THR

The Avengers sequel has found its villain.

James Spader has been cast as Ultron in Joss Whedon's sequel set for release on May 1, 2015, Marvel announced Thursday.

The actor currently stars in NBC's spy drama The Blacklist and appeared on the big screen in Steven Spielberg's Lincoln.

At a Comic-Con panel in July, Whedon teased the sequel's storyline. "We're doing our own version of the origin story of Ultron," he said. The director also added that Ultron was "the chief villain when I read the book. He's been the Avengers villain for so long, I was amazed anyone was surprised it would be him in the movie."

In addition to Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Captain America, superheroes Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch will be joining the Avengers team for the sequel.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

Drenk

Looks eerie, intimate and huge. And Whedon seems to have found his camera back. He directed great episodes in Buffy and Angel, but Avengers looked cheap.

I can't wait.

Ascension.

Just Withnail

Is every single movie like this going to end with a big battle in a big city?

Drenk

Marvel has a way to control that kind of thing...But I hope it won't be the case for Ultron. It wasn't for Iron Man 3. The movie seems to explore a lot of places. I read X-Men's Whedon this summer and it was great, one of the best comics I've read. I like Avengers's big battle, because, through the destruction, you see how the team becomes a team, but I was disappointed to realize that it was the end of the movie after that...

Whedon talked about his will to go smaller in order to go bigger, if it makes sense. And, yes, you have a lot of cars thrown in the sky and people shooting guns and explosion, but I believe in Whedon's power to make his characters go through important arcs, stories, in the middle of it. And, this time, The Avengers are. No need to point a third act that we've seen a hundred times.

Of course, I'm just wishing. But I have big hopes.
Ascension.

Drenk

Hey! From October to April and here I am: still alive and posting again!

I've seen Ultron a week ago because Marvel loves Europe. It was very good (the movie I wanted the first one to be), even if, always, you feel that it can't be entirely a Joss Whedon movie, he has to work with their universe and their plans. But it's an incredibly intimate movie with an incredible amount of action.

I haven't watched the last trailers for Ultron before the movie (and I'm not watching trailers anymore, thank you 2015 you changed me a little), and I'm just shocked, now, to see that much footage in them. Footage that shouldn't be on a trailer. What's the point? You're finally watching that kind of movie and you have the best parts of every big action sequence memorized because you've watched the trailer a hundredth time?
I don't entirely buy the fact that people want to watch what they know, so they need to have everything in the trailer...It's just sad...
Ascension.

samsong

Bryan grazer once guest lecturer a class i took and when someone asked him about trailers giving away/showing too much, he said he's fine with whatever means it takes to get people in the theater.  it's all advertising. 

Lottery

I saw the first handful of trailers and I have to say that they did a decent job of showing a whole lot of action while providing little context. I'm not sure you could properly decipher the story from what was presented. Especially the whole Vision part of the film.

I rather liked the film. It could have done with a longer runtime to help the pacing (it really didn't feel like 141 minutes) and the action was too fast and annoyingly edited at times. But overall it was funny and compelling.

who else thought ultron was space ghost?

Alexandro

Quote from: Lottery on April 30, 2015, 12:57:01 AM
I saw the first handful of trailers and I have to say that they did a decent job of showing a whole lot of action while providing little context. I'm not sure you could properly decipher the story from what was presented.

Well, you could say that about the film.
This was a piece of shit. I'm tired of people giving these movies a pass because they're based on comic books. They suck balls. There's not one interesting character in them, the plot is absurd, everything is at stake all the time, which understandably makes it feel like nothing is ever at stake; the kind of movie where there's always something happening without anything really happening. Overlong mess. Why is this shit 141 minutes long? The Master is shorter. Can you fucking believe that? Every super-hero movie now HAS to be the longest turd ever, but to what end, exactly?

There are so many dull and stupid moments. If you want to feed your misanthropy go and see it. People eat this up like zombies. Downey Jr. only has to do as much as roll his eyes for people to celebrate it with laughter. Bad jokes abound (critics are saying this is one of the "good" aspects because it shows the film doesn't take itself too seriously. Really? I felt it took itself way too seriously for it's level of dumbness). There is a scene between two softwares fighting, like really fighting, physically. There's Downey's face on a soundstage with cool lights every time he's on his Iron Man suit, which always seems like he's in a different space and time than the Iron man outside. There's Stellan Skarsgard showing up to pay for his new house, for no reason. There's Jeremy Renner, doing nothing, with a bow and arrow. i kept asking myself, "what's this guy doing here? he's not helping anyone".

I could go on. I went to see it because my kid likes The Hulk and he was excited about that. Of course he was bored once this thing started. They talk a lot, nothing they say is interesting, then they fight but you hardly care, they crack unfunny jokes, they are all smug and yuppie-like; there's a scene where they manage to destroy a subway train, and I thought "I bet not one of these assholes were in a subway before".

i wish one of this pieces of shit bombed massively so they finally stop making them.

Gold Trumpet

Alexandro with words so comforting and understandable they could be bed time reading for many of us.  I gave the first Avengers a shot after unexpected levels of praise. I hated the movie. It was a bad routine of "dramatic scene,  huge action scene, cool scene, huge action scene,  bullshit emotional/patriotic scene,  huge action scene" and I get Marvel want to be more light hearted to DC and have more fun but the drama is actually heavy handed and seems to go against spirit of light-heartedness. The action and bad jokes try to play up the fun element. However, the original Indiana Jones movie perfectly captured idea of a serial story in realm of being light hearted in all senses of character, story and action.  Why not try to replicate that more?

Alexandro

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on May 02, 2015, 06:10:00 PM
However, the original Indiana Jones movie perfectly captured idea of a serial story in realm of being light hearted in all senses of character, story and action.  Why not try to replicate that more?

That's a good point, but the culture is just different now. Today is about self righteousness, self seriousness, being part of the jet set and having more money than God. The self deprecating humor of Indiana Jones, the fact he's the worst with a sword, a complete nerd who gets into more trouble by the minute, all that's fun but characters today are too curated by marketing to have that freedom. All the Avengers behave basically the same. They're like a bunch of sensitive jocks: full of themselves, conventionally attractive, self-centered, concerned about the world's well being, and with infinite resources; but they never interact with street level people or do as much as buying a sandwich or driving a normal car. They don't even have to deal with the usual loneliness of Batman or Spider-Man, since they're a large team. Obviously they're a fucking bore.