What's In Your DVD Player?

Started by cine, April 26, 2004, 07:29:53 PM

Neil

Great opener: Acts like he's going to hit a bitch, but instead he gives her a good face push right to ground.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pozer on November 11, 2009, 10:51:21 PM

ive noted this movie some time ago namely cos of Pubrick's recommendation (i think. i think.) finally netflixd it and it's been trapped in my player waiting to be played.

yes it was me. watch it already! but i can't blame you for sleeping. it's the kinda movie that somehow gets better the longer you put off watching it.

currently in my player, will try to watch tomoro morning:

i found this at my uni library (amazing selection) right after i saw Come and See on pas' recommendation. it's the last film by the wife of the dude who made Come and See, she was later killed in a car accident while making her next film which the dude who made Come and See completed.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Quote from: ρ on December 14, 2009, 09:30:55 AM
watch it already!

oh ive since antied up and played the game. Malky made the movie with his Malkynous. especially enjoyed the last leg of the movie.

Quote from: ρ on December 16, 2007, 05:48:56 AM

i wanna jump on the joe wright horse drawn carriage. my best friend's gf LOVES the BBC version and will die by colin firth's side. i hav no attachment to the book or previous incarnations of the story, so this pretty much rules as far as i'm concerned. HOWEVER -- on the dvd extras i watched an "alternate US ending" -- did you freaks see a different version? our cut ends with *spoiler* the scene where donald sutherland has given his consent and then summons darcy and giggles to himself -- cut to credits *spoiler* whereas the alternate US ending adds a further unnecessary scene. but i guess if you didn't love it by that point, a redundant final scene wouldn't make a difference. my only real complaint is i don't like keira knightley's lower jaw, her chin protrudes and her teeth are giving themselves constant curbies.

ive actually since watched this for the first time as well believe it or nay. US version ending apparently, however i did not love it by that point so youre right, ending made no difference. i finally netflixed it just to see what made this story so special and i just did not get what makes this story so special. constant galling giggly little girls and what you said about Keira and her grinny grin chin grin is all i saw unfortunately.    

consider Come and See 'flixed, btw but it will undoubtedly sit in the player till the new year. not fit to be destroyed during the holidays.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Bethie

really. i don't know why my friend thought this was a good idea to watch. i cannot handle films like this. i hid in my sweatshirt. i thought of all the things i'd rather be doing. i managed to even out the strings on my sweatshirt, check for lint in my pocket, and even checked my phone (which i have honestly never done while watching a movie)

im shook up. all shook up.
who likes movies anyway

pete

Quote from: Pozer on December 14, 2009, 03:20:36 PM
my only real complaint is i don't like keira knightley's lower jaw, her chin protrudes and her teeth are giving themselves constant curbies.

underbites are hot.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

an unplanned double feature in honor of my new bed:

1978 Inglorious Bastards

i liked 12 monkeys a lot. i'm glad i finally saw it-- i've liked gilliam for a long time.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

Just came from Netflix. Going to try and watch it tonight before the sun comes up but Left 4 Dead 2 has dragged me back into its web.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Stefen on April 03, 2010, 03:27:09 AM
Memories of Murder

Great cast and crew interviews on the disc, too.

Replaced my bootleg.

blackmirror

The X-Files, Season 3 (its best, imo), Episode 24, "Talitha Cumi", queued to the Grand Inquisitor-esque exchange between Mr. Smith and CSM questioning mystery, miracles, authority, and faith -- my cup of tea.

Who are these keepers of the mystery, who have taken some curse upon themselves for the happiness of mankind?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

^that's the first film I can remember ever making me cry (GOOD TOPIC!)
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

Quote from: Stefen on November 26, 2010, 12:19:11 AM
^that's the first film I can remember ever making me cry (GOOD TOPIC!)

Yeah, you should make that thread. I'd like to analyze which films did and how it related to that time in my life.

For me,

:yabbse-thumbup: Mad good.

Stefen

It always makes me cry when someone gets to watch the wire for the first time. Tears of jealousy.

Stefen

Quote from: 03 on January 24, 2005, 12:21:53 AM
Valerie and her week of wonders by Jaromil Jires

This movie is fucking nuts. One of the strangest films I've ever seen. First of all, a movie about a 13 year old girl getting her first period is crazy enough, but you toss in an Alice in Wonderland type dream setting, incest, vampirism, molestation, demons and lesbianism, and you really have your work cut out for you.

I wanted to turn it off about nineteen times but I persevered. The last straw was pretty much the child nudity. I had to remind myself that the late 60's in Czechoslovakia was a different time. Some of the animal cruelty was a bit much, but that always bothers me however tame it is (here it's pretty tame).

This poor girl! All she wants to do is have her first menstrual cycle in peace but everyone keeps fucking with her, be it the demons, vampires, the guy with the mutton chops she likes, who turns out to be her brother. Just let her get her first bleeding out of the way!  :splat: Geeze louise!

I was actually happy for her when the townspeople burned her at the stake. At least she can be all moody and emo in peace.