PDL DVD cover

Started by Dendy, April 03, 2003, 12:48:58 AM

Ernie

Quote from: CinephileI dunno about you guys, but I think if PTA read some of this shit he'd probably either laugh his ass off or cringe at how negative some of you are being. Bottom line: If you like the movie, you should like the cover. If you don't like the cover then think of why he might've chosen that one over all the other ones. Maybe you'll gain a newfound respect for it, who knows. PTA does what he does for his own artistic reasons. Bashing his cover is like bashing his overall vision of the picture. Period.

Yeah, that's true.

God knows when I pick it and actually have it in my hands at Best Buy, that cover will grow on me no matter how much I hate it now. I'll be passionately kissing it by the night of the 25th...talking to it by the 26th. It happens with every cover I don't like at first. When it is right there in your hands, it's magic.

I almost forgot...I didn't even notice this before, the dvd is set to come out almost right after school lets out, the fucking BEST time of the year. It's a magical time even without PTA movies being released on dvd.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Jon
Quote from: bigideas..........i like the cover, but i think my suggestion with the harmonium is the best

I don't.

I do.

I have the cover as my background, I love it.

I don't have it as my background, but i do like it.

And you don't care.

only in a very minute amount minutely a little bit i guess
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

You guys do know that there's a movie inside the cover, right?  :-D

I like the cover.  It's unassuming and doesn't give any inflated expectations about the film.

Link

Quote from: CinephileBottom line: If you like the movie, you should like the cover.

No, I don't.  The cover's NOT the movie.  And if somehow you think it is, just because you like a movie doesn't mean you like every part.

QuoteBashing his cover is like bashing his overall vision of the picture. Period.

No, it's not.  It's bashing his vision for his cover.  Period.

If the walking hand in hand shot sends the "wrong message" then why would Anderson use it as an ad for Award Nominations?  Because it DOESN'T send the wrong message.  It's called Punch-Drunk Love, and that's what the picture conveys with people holding hands and some weirdo artwork.  I think it's great advertising, and something similar to that could be a great cover to go with the Blood and Blossoms thingy (or is it the other way around?).  Maybe the cover be what i suggested with artwork in the back, or dark colors, and then you slip out the whole red thing.  I think a harmonium picture on one of the inside covers would be cool, like the shot of just the plain old harmonium after it's dropped off.

sphinx

oh my

you're right they don't look similar at all

Duck Sauce

Fine, release multiple covers to keep us happy. One with the original poster, on with some artwork, this new one and print up one of Barry's knuckles for me. L-O-V-E

Pubrick

Quote from: sphinx

oh my.
under the paving stones.

sphinx

Quote from: sphinxyou're right they don't look similar at all

tpfkabi

dvdjournal.com lists a "making of" featurette.....as well as the other stuff we know of.....i wonder where they got that idea?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

snaporaz

Quote from: CinephileI dunno about you guys, but I think if PTA read some of this shit he'd probably either laugh his ass off or cringe at how negative some of you are being. Bottom line: If you like the movie, you should like the cover. If you don't like the cover then think of why he might've chosen that one over all the other ones. Maybe you'll gain a newfound respect for it, who knows. PTA does what he does for his own artistic reasons. Bashing his cover is like bashing his overall vision of the picture. Period.

christ. alot of you guys are complete tools. like, if we think the film is brilliant, we have to like anything and everything extended off of it? i too find the dvd cover boring. sure, it sets the tone of the akwardness of the picture, but equally, blake's artwork would graphically present the overwhelming sensations attributed to love.

isn't there something anderson said about this dvd being the definitive, one and only punch-drunk love dvd to buy? that's how i feel about movie posters. personally, i hate seeing several different movie "logos" [posters, video cover art, even soundtrack cover art]. as with the video content themselves, i think a movie's artwork should be a one and only absolute, final work. that being said, that's not really my reason for not liking the dvd artwork. i just simply don't like it. and to those who think that i must accept it and love it and embrace it just because i feel the same way for the movie...eh, what the fuck do i care? i just think certain people around here need to loosen up on the fan-boy schtick and let others have opposing opinions without claiming shit like "the movie's so great, you have no right to criticize things like the artwork or dvd content", et cetera.

Pubrick

Quote from: snaporazchrist. alot of you guys are complete tools. like, if we think the film is brilliant, we have to like anything and everything extended off of it? i too find the dvd cover boring. sure, it sets the tone of the akwardness of the picture, but equally, blake's artwork would graphically present the overwhelming sensations attributed to love.

isn't there something anderson said about this dvd being the definitive, one and only punch-drunk love dvd to buy? that's how i feel about movie posters. personally, i hate seeing several different movie "logos" [posters, video cover art, even soundtrack cover art]. as with the video content themselves, i think a movie's artwork should be a one and only absolute, final work. that being said, that's not really my reason for not liking the dvd artwork. i just simply don't like it. and to those who think that i must accept it and love it and embrace it just because i feel the same way for the movie...eh, what the fuck do i care? i just think certain people around here need to loosen up on the fan-boy schtick and let others have opposing opinions without claiming shit like "the movie's so great, you have no right to criticize things like the artwork or dvd content", et cetera.
before u waste any more energy, u might want to know that Cinephile, the dude who has fired u up, hasn't posted here in months.
under the paving stones.

snaporaz

Quote from: P™before u waste any more energy, u might want to know that Cinephile, the dude who has fired u up, hasn't posted here in months.

you think i'm just saying this because i want to debate with that asshat? i just think his comments speak for several others around here: the whole "don't whine if you like the movie" crap.

godardian

I prefer the DVD cover to the poster art. Repeating the poster art would've been more boring than what they went with, and I personally prefer a stark, minimalist sort of graphic design approach for these things. Usually. In this case, at least.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

master

I'm not sure what type of case it will be but why don't you make your own cover?

It's easy and you get exactly what you want.

Chris

Pedro

Quote from: P™
before u waste any more energy, u might want to know that Cinephile, the dude who has fired u up, hasn't posted here in months.
Was he banned?  Or did he just get fed up with all the crap we gave him for posting so damn much.