The Beaver

Started by MacGuffin, July 10, 2009, 12:10:24 AM

MacGuffin

Mel Gibson to star in 'Beaver'
Jodie Foster to costar, direct film
Source: Variety

Mel Gibson will star in "The Beaver" for director Jodie Foster.

The script, written by Kyle Killen, topped the Blacklist in December.

Gibson will play a depressed man who finds solace in wearing a beaver hand-puppet. On top of helming, Foster will play the role of the man's wife.

Foster boarded the project and brought it to Gibson, with whom she co-starred in 1994's "Maverick."

Anonymous Content's Steve Golin and Keith Redmon will produce the film. Producers are pushing for a September start date in New York.

Financing for the $18 million-$19 million pic has yet to be finalized. A studio could pick up the project or it could go the indie route, as Golin did with Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's "Babel."

It's possible that Gibson's production company Icon could get involved in some way. Icon has distribution shingles in territories such as the U.K. and Australia.

Project had several star and director combos circling -- including Steve Carell and Jay Roach -- over the past several months.

Pic brings Foster back to feature directing for the third time, after 1991's "Little Man Tate" and 1995's "Home for the Holidays."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 10, 2009, 12:10:24 AM
Gibson will play a depressed man who finds solace in wearing a beaver hand-puppet.
hahAHAHhaa!! wait. let me read it again. ok. HAHAHHHAH.

officially my most anticipated movie.

EDIT: oh wait, is this supposed to be a comedy? if so, count me out.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

why did they show "we start with the good part" in the trailer because it's obviously the last scene in this film. i hate that shit.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Not really interested in seeing Jodie Foster's Beaver. Especially if Mel Gibson is in it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

I saw this at SXSW.  It was introduced by Jodie Foster telling us "I just want to prepare you, this is not a comedy".  I think that's a big part of why this movie doesn't quite hit.

I wanted to like it while I was watching it.  It seemed to be taking risks with tone and content (Mel Gibson and a talking Beaver puppet with absolutely no vagina jokes is risky by itself), but they don't pay off.  It ends up seeming a little desperate to be the new "American Beauty".

It starts off with dark comedy elements that get in the way of serious nature of his mental illness and then it sheds its comic elements too quickly to settle down and accept where it's going and then it feels forced.

Foster said the film was the biggest challenge of her career because of the tone and I can see why, but unfortunately she lost the challenge with this one.

Reel

The Funniest part of the movie was when he hugged the Tv and tried to pour vodka into Kwaichang Caine's mouth, lol. Doesn't really amount to much in the end, though.

SiliasRuby

A very odd film with interesting performances and yet I wasn't as captivated as I was hoping to be.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Reel

The whole Jennifer Lawrence subplot was way too forced and predictable. And as much as I want to like Anton Yelchin in anything he's in, he always comes off as such a smarmy douche. Dude thinks he's hot shit, but he's really just cold diarrhea.

look at us, we're a regular Siskel and Ebert!

SiliasRuby

Hope I don't die soon.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection