A.I. observations

Started by AnubisGOJ, March 18, 2003, 08:17:26 PM

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

blackmirror i watched some behind the scenes with the original writer of "super toys last all summer long" (that's the correct title right?) and he said that he worked with Kubrick for a year and left the project because Kubrick himself became obsessed with the Pinocchio elements and started taking that direction. the writer wanted to create a film with lack of sentiment but Kubrick felt he had to give it heart. it's quite a funny moment in the interview he rolls his eyes quite expressively and says "and then came Pinocchio". it's easy to pinpoint certain qualities of AI and pin it on spielberg, but truthfully we don't know and should not speculate or split it 50/50. now spielberg didn't remove these elements, but Kubrick was very aware of trying not to make a bleak film that time around, one of the major reasons he approached spielberg in the first place.
the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on May 21, 2010, 04:00:42 PM
Do you like A.I. GT?

I like it more for the in's it gives to things that could have been Kubrick's vision, but ultimately, I don't care too much for the film. On page 6 of this thread, Brian Aldiss rips the movie for decent reasons and without realizing it, on the same page but at the bottom, I made similar criticisms that point to my dissatisfaction with the film. I also blogged about it recently: http://filmsplatter.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/a-i-almost-9-years-later/

I think time is trying to change a lot of problems of the film. We have to look at the film as a half retrospective of Kubrick's vision, but as a whole film, it isn't that special. What is unique about the film is that Spielberg was able to dedicate himself to a full reconstruction of everything Kubrick probably considered as possible ideas for the film, but it looks like he made no editorial decisions about what to extract and what to keep. It's everything muddled together and that isn't very good. It actually changes all the ideas because the context and tone of how the ideas are shown completely change with Spielberg's handling. That isn't very good and just diminishes the whole thing.

blackmirror

Consider this my first don't-piss-on-my-leg-and-tell-me-it's-raining Xixax moment.  I was not aware of Mr. Aldiss' contention with Mr. Kubrick. It does catch me off-guard, and makes me slightly defensive for Stanley Kubrick.  Mr. Kubrick's moviemaking style consistently displayed a dark edge streak – so different than Mr. Spielberg's films.  Maybe it's a case of "whatever your definition of is is".  Perhaps, Mr. Aldiss' wincing at Pinnochio is a reflection on Walt Disney's animated feature – the universal standard that brands this story in our current age.  The heightened magical fairy tale mood of this film is a sharp contrast to Mr. Aldiss' short story and dilutes its neurotic tone.  Mr. Kubrick's idea might derive from Carlo Collodi's original and more humble tale of Pinnochio.  Mr. Collodi's novel was not the traditional fairy tale and explored the somber struggles for the basic necessities of living – primarily refuge and sanctuary.  This theme emerges in A.I. as Daniel and Teddy embark on their journey after Mrs. Swinton abandons them.  I can placate Mr. Kubrick's decision to reference these human elements of Pinnochio.  Survival does indeed take heart and soul to overcome struggles.  Surely, Mr. Aldiss could reason with this.  As a science fiction author, he should understand the genre's purpose of exploring the human condition and the consequences scientific advancement has on it.  And, yes, that was a typo, socketlevel – the correct title of Mr. Aldiss' short story is  "Super Toys Last All Summer Long".  You can hand me a shovel, and I'll start digging. Thank you for the meaningful discussion, though.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

So i watched this again last night, I hadn't seen it since 2001 in the theatre while i was living in whistler at the time. I hated it then. This time around, pretty much the only element i really disliked was Haley Joel Osment, he just grates my nerves in almost every scene. chris rock cameo is probably my 2nd least fav thing about it. with that said, the movie was a better watch then it was in 2001, like sure the ending still sucks but i really appreciated the aliens and the minimal style of their spaceship. i loved how it tracks through the ice age landscape this time around. it very much reminded me of the x-wing fight in starwars, long narrow tunnels. it really isn't flashy either.  that whole tracking the pod-ship sequence was very kubrick-esque, down to the soundtrack. it goes to show you can use CG, not make it hand held, and still deliver something that looks stark and real. what follows that very cool tracking shot is utterly contrived though, and hope to hell kubrick had nothing to do with it.

Pubrick

Dude they were robots not aliens. They weren't from outer space, randomly snooping around the remains of Earth, they were the most advanced extension of modern and future technology, the last remnants of our intelligence and the purest embodiment of it, seeking to understand their origins just like we excavate bones and "bring them to life" with our imaginations.

Maybe wait another 10 years before attempting this one again.
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

At this point there should be t-shirts saying: "they were robots, not aliens".

socketlevel

ok cool robots w/e, not really affecting my point and sadly thats all that was taken from it. robots or aliens they were the future trying to connect with the past, and either way it was done with good aesthetic sense.

Alexandro

well, it is a big difference if you think about it because robots make sense in this movie and aliens don't make any sense in this movie. I just don't see it as contrived. too bad you hate osment, he's one of the best things about the movie, goes from creepy to cute to heartbreaking. wasn't his idea that a robot shouldn't blink? that's just insanely instinctive for any actor.

socketlevel

it makes sense and is more rewarding that it's robots because of the protagonist's plight, however regardless of what they are i liked the way the sequence of the ship's tracking shot through the use of models/cg. so in those terms it doesn't really matter, as them being aliens or robots doesn't affect my previous post.

Alexandro

actually the whole visual design of that particular film, right at the big boom of the CGI orgies and overstuffed big productions ("epic") was the main reason I got convinced Spielberg is the best special effects director in the world (despite Indiana Jones 4).

socketlevel

i'd agree with that upon knee jerk answer, he does show restraint many don't. there are others i'd put up there though.