Ron Howard

Started by Xixax, January 25, 2003, 07:35:39 PM

Alethia

i like him.  he's never really done anything ground breaking (maybe apollo 13, but that might be pushing it), he's just a good, solid director.  he can tell a good story and that's that.  you certainly can't say most of his movies are bad (the grinch aside).

MacGuffin

Howard, Grazer & Goldsman Reteaming on Da Vinci Code
Source: Variety

Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Akiva Goldsman - the Oscar-winning trio from A Beautiful Mind - are reteaming to make The Da Vinci Code for Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Goldsman will adapt the bestselling novel by Dan Brown. Grazer, Howard's Imagine Entertainment partner, will produce alongside Calley. Howard will direct the film after the Russell Crowe starrer Cinderella Man, also produced by Grazer and written by Goldsman.

The story concerns clues embedded in paintings by Leonardo da Vinci which unlock secrets that cut to the core of Christianity.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteThe story concerns clues embedded in paintings by Leonardo da Vinci which unlock secrets that cut to the core of Christianity.

it sounds interesting
Si

Ghostboy

I saw the new full trailer for The Missing today and something about it really got to me, and I don't think it was just the excellent use of the Last Of The Mohicans score. Something about powerful, brutal, simplistic westerns...they just speak to me. I really loved it, and I hope the movie lives up to this promise.

modage

The Missing: Its been confirmed the Cate Blanchett mystery will NOT have a limited release next week, rather a single opening wide release on November 26th.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

I think Parenthood is the only one I've really liked...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Alethia

parenthood, willow, apollo 13, a beauiful mind and ransom i liked

edison

i really did not like A Beautiful Mind.

Ghostboy

I just caught The Missing, and it's not very good at all. Kinda like a tv movie with A-list stars (more than you might expect).

It's a real shame; the premise was so good (a take on The Searchers, to be sure, but that's such a classic storyline that one can't take issue with that). Nearly all that's worthwhile in the film can be found in the trailer, which I still think is one of the year's best.

modage

i have free passes to this tonite, which would've probably been the only way i would ever see it, but i'm skipping it to get home for thanksgiving.  now i feel less bad about it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02i have free passes to this tonite, which would've probably been the only way i would ever see it, but i'm skipping it to get home for thanksgiving.  now i feel less bad about it.

...donn't feel bad at all...this film look phucking stupid as hell....
the casting of cuba/performance/of radio is  just as bad as the casting of tommy lee jones as an indian... :roll: .......pure h$llyw$$d cheese my friend....

it reminds me of onne of those films that myster science theatre wouldl make fun of

aclockworkjj

I suppose i  can talk about it here...anyone watch arrested development?  it's a ron howard sitcom on fox, and surprisingly it's actually really good.  this last week featured clint howard as a hippi tree saver...refusing to come down outta a tree.  what a goofy looking dude..

anyways, check it out, as it's probably one of the better shows to come out recently.  dunno how long it will stick around though.

Ghostboy

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
the casting of cuba/performance/of radio is  just as bad as the casting of tommy lee jones as an indian..f

He's not actually playing an Indian...the movie's not THAT stupid. He's a white man who went to live with Apaches. As explained in the trailer.

MacGuffin

Crowe & Beckinsale in Howard's Da Vinci Code?

The CinemaEye site reports the unconfirmed news that director Ron Howard is in talks with Russell Crowe and Kate Beckinsale to star in his upcoming The Da Vinci Code at Columbia Pictures:

Director Ron Howard seems eager to put his recent failure with The Missing behind him. To that end, he is quickly recruiting some of his regular cast and crew for his big-budget adaptation of the best-selling novel The Da Vinci Code. Howard has already recruited Akiva Goldsman who penned the adaptation of A Beautiful Mind and now we have received information from a credible source that Howard is quickly moving to secure his cast for the film. However, takes these as unconfirmed rumors albeit from a reliable source.

Howard is in talks with Russell Crowe who headlined the Oscar-winning A Beautiful Mind. Howard is currently in pre-production on his second film with Crowe, Cinderella Man. Cinderella Man starts shooting in March 2004, so Da Vinci Code would follow immediately after.

The story concerns clues embedded in paintings by Leonardo da Vinci which unlock secrets that cut to the core of Christianity. Brian Grazer, Howard's Imagine Entertainment partner, will produce. Cinderella Man writer Akiva Goldsman is penning the script.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Howard: Times Good for Independent Films

More interest in plot- and character-driven films means times are good for independent films, says Ron Howard, the Academy Award-winning director.

"There's an ever-expanding interest in stories, thank God," said Howard, who will appear at the Asheville Film Festival this weekend. "More and more, there are compelling financial reasons the artistic reasons have always been there to make films that target a smaller audience base."

The Asheville festival runs Thursday through Sunday and features 94 topics. Howard, who won Oscars in 2002 for "A Beautiful Mind" will be in town to attend the Spotlight Celebrations Awards Dinner on Saturday night at the Grove Park Inn. His father, longtime character actor Rance Howard, will receive a lifetime achievement award.

Finding money for independent films has also gotten better, though financing any film, independent or otherwise, is never easy, Ron Howard said in a telephone interview Monday.

"It's always a high-wire act to get an independent film made," he said. "Always. But there was a time when it was really trying to hit a bull's eye on a dart board a long way away. And now, it's a little more fair. ... In the last 10, 15 years, there's the beginnings of a kind of economic structure."

Skeleton FilmWorks