"Falling Down" in Trailers

Started by Ravi, March 30, 2003, 06:28:28 PM

Ravi

How come almost every trailer or ad for a comedy features someone falling down?  When I saw a movie yesterday, they played the trailer for the Lizzie McGuire movie and she fell down 4 times!  Without any context, a shot of someone falling down isn't inherently funny.  But I suppose there are some people who laugh at this.  Reminds of when Homer was one of the judges on the Springfield Film Festival on "The Simpsons" and he thought "Man Getting Hit in the Groin By Football" was hilarous.

snaporaz

sorry to get off topic, but i seriously hate that fucking gag that's in like a dozen movies: where someone tries to jump and land on a bed real smooth-like, and he bounces off. or when someone tries slide across the hood of a car and ends up falling off the other side.

fuck that's unfunny.

Duck Sauce

Like in 40 Days and 40 Nights, Josh Hartnett trips, and falls. Now that is comedy

Ghostboy

I know exactly what Ravi's talking about, I keep thinking the same thing. Its this whole klutzy but cute teenage girl thing, with Lizzy Maguire and What A Girl Wants. And every time they fall down, they pop back up with a quick 'whoosh' sound effect. The ads for What A Girl Wants tout Amanda Byne's 'flair for physical comedy,' and I can't believe I've actually written so many words on this topic already.

MacGuffin

What's going on with this trend (Black fish out of water movies)?

Saw the last three trailers all in a row before "Shanghai Knights" (terrible, by the way) and they all included a variation on the slang "fo, shizzle, my nizzle" term.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Born Under Punches

Just what the world needs.  more movies about stuffy white people being "down".  oh, that's always funny.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: IllneroJust what the world needs.  more movies about stuffy white people being "down".  oh, that's always funny.

Also note that it is actually a law that 75% of these movies must co-star, feature or reference Snoop Dog

©brad

i do recal one Adam Sandler falling down in a trailer we all were obsessed with last summer... :shock:

Born Under Punches

The only time falling down in a trailer actually worked was in "Kingpin" the scene where Woody Harrelson and Bill Murray are about to face off in the bowling finals and Woody's got his game face on, when he trips over the hand blower.  Now, that was funny!

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

:: is very disapointed:: man i thought i was gonna get to talk about michael douglas's flat top hairstyle :: waves fist:: ohh well

Cecil

Quote from: cbrad4di do recal one Adam Sandler falling down in a trailer we all were obsessed with last summer... :shock:

uhhh... that was satire... yeah, thats it

Fishbulb

Yeah, but Luis Guzman falling off a chair in a PTA movie is funny. Hilary Duff falling down isn't. Sorry, that's just the way it is :)

The Silver Bullet

Yeah, because that doesn't sound half elitist...
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

bonanzataz

Quote from: Butterscotch Jones:: is very disapointed:: man i thought i was gonna get to talk about michael douglas's flat top hairstyle :: waves fist:: ohh well

Yeah, me too.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Markyboy

Julianne Moore fell over a few times in 'Evolution.'
That was kinda funny.
A shiny, gold, tall, inexpensive prick.